VW possibility in th 505

Bowie

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Wondeirng about engiens yet again...

whats your thoughts of VW 3.2 V6 they have in theire new golf.... Considering the 505 is relativly light.. and teh VW engine spins a bit of power....

Any thoughts.. coments?

LOLOL AHhh yes money i fogot about that...

LOLOLOL valid point takin.... :( LOLOL

That's what I was thinking.

From what I have read here, the most likely engine transplants into 504s or 505s are Rover 3.5 V8s and some have even used GMH 3.8L V6s.

Hi,

If you want a north south engine how about the Audi V6? Unusual in that it is a north south FWD car. Can be made to put out LOTS of oomph - see Audi RS4 etc. - Downside - probably will cost lots also!

Or even the old Audi 5 cylinder - not the smoothest thing in the world, but pretty unbreakable. Dead Audi 100s, or even 200Ts are not hard to find.

Paul

yeah....
i dont know.. if i wanted the power of teh Commi engine i supose it just go by a comodore.. I dont know.. I think im having trouble expossing teh lovely refinmnets of the peugeot to such a tastless beer and pies of an engine.. LOL

Maybe teh engine isnt that bad .. but teh associations ..

This is silly.. It woudl still handle with teh Pug LIke Quality... It woulc just eb quicker of teh line... probably...

But yeah thast is teh VW V6 is was talking about.. look svery nice on papper.. and being ultra compact and reasonable light...

but nah.... i think Commie V6 will have to be the way to go.. frown

As I seem to remember someone mentioned a while back a Lexus engine. What about a Soarar 2.5L Straight six twin turbo?? :confused:

2.5L doesn't seem to make it a overly large engine compared to the 3.8 Holden (physical size) and you'd get some go out of it! (200+Kw and 360Nm) :D

Only about $1800 for the engine so I imagine a front cut would be accessable price wise.

Suppose you still loose a bit of euro style.

Jono :D

Don't the soarers use a 1jz?

I think you'll find the JZs are a pretty long engine, I don't think one would fit into a 505.

While the commondore V6s may be rough by new car standards, I wouldn't be surprised if they were smoother than the 4cyl 505s shipped with.......none of the 505s were exactly "sweet" engined cars from the factory.

Balanced with a mild cam and decent exhaust, the GM V6 in a 505 would probably be a nice thing, assuming the weight doesn't destroy the balance. It would certainly meander along with boatloads more torque than anything Peugeot ever put in.
________
Vapor tower

Last edited:
Dave has a little thing on this stuff on his site:

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/davemcbean/engineswaps.html" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/davemcbean/engineswaps.html</a>

Weight is why the Rover 3.5/3.9 is so popular. Being all alloy, it's lighter than many 4 cyl iron blocked motors. And there's no end of tuning gear and aftermarket parts for it.

Stuey

this Rover 3.5 V8... What sort of power to they produce... Are they much.. and more importantly... can more be extracted form them easilly... ?

well, in stock form in a mid 80s Range Rover the 3.5 had 98kw and 258nm. Not a massive amount of power for 8cyls, but an improvement on the weedy 505 engines.

I'm sure there have been a few conversations about this engine on aussiefrogs, so you might find some info if you sift through all the previous discussions on engine swaps. :)

What about the Gen3 v8 out of the latest commondores, aren't they an all alloy motor? 5.7l and some where between 200 & 250 kw. :cool:

even that engine is going to be pretty ehavy although bieng all alloy
the other thing is why would you need 200-250kw in a 505 unless you are going to drag race it ?
that much power in a 505 is a bit of overkill IMHO
a 505 i think would be just nice with around 180-220HP which is a lot less than 200KW

lol,

I don't think we'll be hooking an LS1 up to a 505 diff :) (BANG!)

Though a 505 would be an utter beast with an ls1.....gearbox, driveshaft and diff issues make things very difficult.

A new crate LS1 engine is around $6,000au.....i doubt you'll find a good secondhand one for less than 3k

Rover V8s are nice and all, but you pay Jag like prices for parts.....the GM v6 although harsh etc is EFI (why would you go through the hassle of engine swap and use a carby?), cheap and makes more power and similar torque standard than most of the Rover engines (<4lt) shipped with.

The GM v6's downsides are probably it's weight and that it doesn't have the ultimate performance potential of the rover v8.

Why didn't anyone check out the 505 advertised here with the 253 in it?......it was only $2500 too......any of these conversions are going to cost at least that alone!.....
________
Colorado dispensaries

Last edited:
200kw maybe overkill for a 505, but it would be fun untill you lost your licence. :D :D

For what it's worth, I reckon a Commodore V6 is a pretty good compromise - light enough, injected (bugger carbies - I agree with DTwo), they go pretty hard while giving good economy and they're cheap and plentiful. Go for an Ecotec and you start with 147 kW.

yeah the GM looks liek teh ideal doesnt it..
and whats this crap about to much power.. LOLOL you can nerv have enough power..

LOLOl jyst ask teh guys who rally in that Crazy UNlimited class.. LOL this one guy manages to get a Saab 9-3 to 540HP. 0-100 in 2.1seconds naturally.!!! LOLOl to much power.. Pffhhhhh LOLOl

Will the supercharger fit on teh 6 under teh bonnet? LOL

The 3.8L buick V6 actually wieghs less than the diesel block so wieght should be an issue.

If you want a good motor a Lexus 1UZ-FE (4ish L V8) would be good. Very very strong motor and can handle twin turboing if it is decompressed a bit. And it is pretty light too.

The 1JZ-GTE is a good motor. Might be a bit long given that it is just a smaller capacity 2JZ (these are a BIG motor).