Virage Wagon from Orroroo

Wife's Yaris has the metallic paint. If it's not looked after it can deteriorate. Hers is peeling the clear coat on the roof from out in the sun. I think it's water based.
When I went through the Holden factory when they were building VR or VS Commodore, they were transitioning to water-based back then (about 1995). Not sure if it is that or the ozone layer causing the clear coat to degrade so badly in the sun.
Here is my sedan back in 2003, and a more recent picture of what's left of it :cry:

Attachments

• 068.JPG
    068.JPG
    595.7 KB · Views: 46
  • LHF recent.jpg
    LHF recent.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 49
When I went through the Holden factory when they were building VR or VS Commodore, they were transitioning to water-based back then (about 1995). Not sure if it is that or the ozone layer causing the clear coat to degrade so badly in the sun.
Here is my sedan back in 2003, and a more recent picture of what's left of it :cry:
It'll buff John :ROFLMAO:

Clear coats and sun do not mix.
I didn't know that. It sounds as plausible, maybe more so, than any other that I've heard.

In fact, I've been told a number of different reasons why my 2007 model 307's paint is peeling so badly. But sun exposure has never been one of the reasons I've heard. I've owned the car for a few years now and I don't remember most of what I heard when I first got the car. Poor batch of paint was the most common reason, from memory.

I didn't know that. It sounds as plausible, maybe more so, than any other that I've heard.

In fact, I've been told a number of different reasons why my 2007 model 307's paint is peeling so badly. But sun exposure has never been one of the reasons I've heard. I've owned the car for a few years now and I don't remember most of what I heard when I first got the car. Poor batch of paint was the most common reason, from memory.
We've never had a paint problem in our "modern" cars up to 20 years old. Ever. They are garaged. They are not left in the sun except occasionally. That applies to every car we've owned that was made after 1990. Not that we've owned many, but we've been meticulous about garaging and, where possible, parking. For decades now you have been able to see cars from various places with the paint falling apart - why would it be anything but UV and heat? I recall Hondas being bad about 20-30 years ago but they weren't orphans.

I'm surprised no-one suggested sun exposure. It's the first thing that comes to my mind.

The clear coat on the roof of my "battleship grey" 1995 Pug 605 lasted until the drought of 2019, when the sun was particularly severe.
It lived in N Tassie for the first half of its life, which may have helped, but the condition of the rear seat backs when I got it in 2009 suggested it had not been garaged very much.

While some panels were resprayed by previous owner, there is no reason to suspect the roof is not original. We know that red cars seem to lose their clear coat faster than other colours, but I would have thought dark grey would be nearly as bad.

The fact that it lasted 24 years says to me that it was a better quality clear coat than found on many more modern cars. Plastics can be made to survive sun exposure (or not) - does clear coat also vary in quality, or is it more down to the quality of the application - how many costs etc.?