Virage Wagon from Orroroo

J-man

1000+ Posts
VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Some of you would have seen this car for sale by the lovely lady whose father unfortunately passed, and subsequently, his fleet of cars had to go. Being a 12/Virage fan, and always wanting a wagon after having my fabulous Virage sedan, I couldn't help myself. So, words were spoken, and one thing led to another, and by jingo, it is now in my garage! It is worse than I thought, but also better than I thought, on the other hand. I can't believe how straight it appears! I can only see one tiny pin dent on the right rear quarter. Roof is pristine too! Rust is obviously the main concern, however, if you take away the bolt on panels with rust (rear doors and bonnet), it pretty much leaves rear wheel arch rust, right rear lower quarter panel rust, lower A-pillars rust, and some minor front guard rust. There is always the dreaded hidden rust you can't see, like it may have plenum rust under the dash for example. The tailgate is absolutely mint!

Overall, I think it is well worth saving, however... Mrs J-man (currently in hospital) saw the photos and I think if they were doing her blood pressure at the time, they probably would have called a doctor :LOL: plus, if I don't have time to work on the 4CV, when will I have time to work on the wagon, hence, it is now listed for sale again :rolleyes: not that that means someone will buy it, though :unsure:

What do you guys think of it? I know photos alone make it a little hard to say.

Seeing Col's thread inspired me :approve:, so it's your fault Col :rolllaugh:

Attachments

• LHR.jpg
    LHR.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 85
  • LHF.jpg
    LHF.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 85
  • LH side.jpg
    LH side.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 85
  • RHR.jpg
    RHR.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Cargo area.jpg
    Cargo area.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Engine bay.jpg
    Engine bay.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 89
  • RHF.jpg
    RHF.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 87
Looks like there are a few small parts missing. I have a virage parts car that has some bits left. Send me a message if you're interested, I'm in Adelaide

Well done J-Man, I had a Virage (would of been one of the last ones 1980) in that colour and your description of rust mirrors mine exactly. I had rust in the plenum chamber so decided to scrap the car..

Remember when looking for spares that the panels and most of the running gear will fit from the earlier models, so you can mix and match to your hearts desire.

Oh and I take no responsibility o_O:sneaky: nothing to see here :giggle:

Look forward to see how this progresses.

Thanks, Col :headbanger"
Just wondering, are sedan rear doors the same as wagon rear doors :unsure:

Thanks, Col (y)

I was hoping the French scrouges may have designed it to have all same doors. Meh!

Reactions: COL
I'm picking up some parts tomorrow. Most are surplus to my requirements. Might be a sedan door in there. My quest for a nice RH front guard continues.....

Attachments

• received_791380578958537.jpeg
    received_791380578958537.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 41
  • received_958852415154942.jpeg
    received_958852415154942.jpeg
    278.5 KB · Views: 46
In a word no. The differences are in the frame around the glass, at the back of the door the frame has a different slope.
A friend of mine once discovered that the hard way. Quite memorable. :)

Well, I didn't end up with the wagon very long. It has now joined my old identical sedan in Kapunda to a fellow frogger! Very small world 😳
He will make a good wagon using the good bits from my old sedan 👍👍
Lucky Mrs J-man!

Well, I didn't end up with the wagon very long. It has now joined my old identical sedan in Kapunda to a fellow frogger! Very small world 😳
He will make a good wagon using the good bits from my old sedan 👍👍
That's a pretty good outcome I'd say. Good you recovered it for the common good!! :)

It is a nice colour. Metallic John?
Hi John, yes, it is metallic. My sedan looked reasonably good in this colour before the person who bought it off me left it out in the weather for years 😑

Hi John, yes, it is metallic. My sedan looked reasonably good in this colour before the person who bought it off me left it out in the weather for years 😑
Wife's Yaris has the metallic paint. If it's not looked after it can deteriorate. Hers is peeling the clear coat on the roof from out in the sun. I think it's water based.