Villeneuve to Renault

Zen

Fellow Frogger
News broke today that Jacques Villeneuve will test for the Renault F1 Team for two days starting tomorrow with the view to replace Jarno Trulli for the final three races of the 2004 season. Trulli and Renault have parted ways after the tenth place finish at Monza. Barring an absolute disaster, expect Villeneuve in a Renault for the rest of the season. GO SON!

Rich

Zen said:
News broke today that Jacques Villeneuve will test for the Renault F1 Team for two days starting tomorrow with the view to replace Jarno Trulli for the final three races of the 2004 season. Trulli and Renault have parted ways after the tenth place finish at Monza. Barring an absolute disaster, expect Villeneuve in a Renault for the rest of the season. GO SON!

Rich

No :disappr:.... why :cry::confused: ... why Jacques Villeneuve, he has to be one of if not my least favored drivers to race in F1, and in the end he’s nothing spectacular and won a championship by fluke. Why couldn't they call someone up like Mika Hakkinen instead if they were going to pull someone out of there retirement home. I hope that this isn't a permanent deal, as there are much better drivers that are coming off contract DC for one. Somebody tell Villeneuve to go back to the never beens padock

Last edited:
... and he's just signed a 2-year deal with Sauber starting 2005

http://www.sauber.ch/en/oben/news_aktuell_detail.php?newsid=205&sprache=&archive=

emot-dancelarge.gif

yay :headbang: Villeneuve can go to whatever team i don't really care about, Sauber Petronas being one of them. Good to see this is a temporary soloution for Renault, who i hope can get some good drivers locked in for next season

Last edited:
Renault have already signed Fernando Alonso and Giancarlo Fisichalla for next year...

I wonder what Renault will do if Jacques sets the world on fire for the last three races??

Love a bit of Jacques. He went out with Danni Minogue, so he took some for the team so he is okay by me.

Waiting for Cool Green to come back!!!!!!!! (Is this what the team is called????)

shobbz

mistareno said:
I wonder what Renault will do if Jacques sets the world on fire for the last three races??

i doubt he will, he's been out of F1 for to long and would be unacustomed, especially with the amount cars have changed over the last few seasons and the new, and updated tracks. Even if he does, i'd still rather he remained retired. I also doubt Renault will give hime the best equipment or knowledge, to hand straight to Sauber next season

Last edited:
Shobbz said:
Waiting for Cool Green to come back!!!!!!!! (Is this what the team is called????)
Team KOOL Green was/is a CART team. (Are they still there, or have they moved to IRL? Haven't followed U.S. open wheel racing in a while)

rek said:
Team KOOL Green was/is a CART team. (Are they still there, or have they moved to IRL? Haven't followed U.S. open wheel racing in a while)

Team KOOL Green is now Andretti Green Racing, and i beleive they have moved to the IRL from cart. There was a meger between Andretti Racing and team Kool Green,

Speaking of which who watched Laguna Seca last week. This has to be one of my many favourite tracks, and it will be great if the Moto GP get a race there like they are stating they're trying to.

Last edited:
The reason Trulli was replaced is because Renault desperatly wants 2nd in the Constructors championship and Trulli is driving like a chump...

I think Jacques is actually very fast, I just don't think he communicates well with engineers re: setup etc...which is probably more important....

The Renault is a fairly well setup car, so he can basically get in and drive...

He has only been out of F1 for a 10 months and has been pretty busy driving other things in the mean time....

To gain any knowledge about an F1 car, you would literally have to tear the thing apart...

More knowledge would be (and is) gained by looking at photos..

Like him or not, F1 just got a lot more interesting.

orestes said:
i doubt he will, he's been out of F1 for to long and would unacustomed, especially with the amount cars have changed over the last few seasons and the new, and updated tracks. Even if he does, i'd still rather he remained retired. I also doubt Renault will give hime the best equipment or knowledge, to hand straight to Sauber next season
Apparently he's down only about half a second on Alonso in his first test today. That's his first time in an F1 car for a year, driving a totally unfamiliar car, with tyres he's never driven on before (Michelins) and engineers he doesn't know. It'll be interesting (to say the least) to see the test timesheets at the end of the day.

I totally agree with rek. I like Villeneuve, he fears nothing and no one. He takes gambles on race setups even in his first year of F1 (which I think is why he didn't perform as well in the '98 Williams and the old BAR as opposed in the '96 and '97 Williams). He'll push the boundaries to find the limit even to the point of destroying the car in a shunt. For that, I give him alot of respect.

Great news that he will be driving for Sauber as well. Peter Sauber always liked Frentzen but Villeneuve proved he had the measure of him and then some. From Villeneuve's point of view, the move to Sauber could be seen as a stepping stone to something most old school F1 fans would love to see... a Villeneuve in a Ferrari again.

In regards to his first testing session with Renault, he just jumped in the car, didn't do any setup work albeit adjusting the seating position and drove the thing. I don't care who you are, after nearly 12 months out of an F1 car and still be around a second off a guy who has proven time and again that he's at least one of the top 4 or 5 fastest F1 drivers, you have to give Jacques credit for that.

Rich

I think Villeneuve is a great choice regardless of what people may think of his personality. Renault want there 2nd place back and here's 3 reasons why Villeneuve the man.

1 He knows how to win and is hungary to do it.

2 He is a media magnet and thats what Renault need (Crompton might even talk about them)

3 He HATES B.A.R. with vengance.

David.

Yep, how wide will Villeneuve's grin be if Renault manages to bump BAR down to third. I just want to see the look on David Richards' face. :roflmao:

Rich

i dont think Trulli (just confrimed to race for BAR next year) is a bad driver, he just needs a abit more maturity under his belt, or to settle things down abit.

he is ahead of Alonso in the points though.

Reno said:
i dont think Trulli (just confrimed to race for BAR next year) is a bad driver, he just needs a abit more maturity under his belt, or to settle things down abit.

he is ahead of Alonso in the points though.

Trulli is a good driver, though I’d have to agree he needs to control himself a bit more. There again Villeneuve can be just as good with his attitude problems.

As for Renaults drivers next season, Fisie though he’s is a good driver, but has been bumped around to many teams and has never had a car thats as good as his talent. Alonso is good enough to do anything, if he can get a package that can compete with Ferrari

Last edited:
and i thought his role at Toyota was purely testing.

Good to see some spice back in the sport - i love this time of the season.

But JV is still a cock-wit outside of the cock-pit.

Well, it's interesting that Villeneuve is contracted to Ferrari's 'other' team until 2006 - just when Michael's contract runs out. What's the bet that Jacques is being earmarked to take over? After all his father Gilles drove (and died) in a Ferrari.