Velo Solex for sale, Melbourne

In Victoria a Velo Solex is considered a moped and the motor assists pedalling, and they do not have to be registered.

I have used them for about 15 years and there has been a formal (written) Police or Court opinion has been given given in the past. A motorised bicycle is not a moped because the motor is started separately.( I think the Frankston police site is discussing a different variation of powered bike). A Velo Solex can only be started by pedalling.

I will try and find a copy of the opinion and post it. Ted
Looking again at the VicRoads document that I cited previously, they define a Moped thus:

“Moped” means a two or three wheeled motor vehicle, not being a power-assisted pedal cycle, with an engine cylinder capacity not exceeding 50ml (50cc) (or another power source) and a maximum speed not exceeding 50km/h.​

So, if the Velo Solex in discussion is regarded as a "moped' then it would require registration in Vic. But, see the line in the VicRoads document "not being a power-assisted pedal cycle". If the Velo Solex is classed as a "power-assisted pedal cycle" then it would seem, as asserted by the OP and others here, that it does not require registration. (One would have assumed that the OP's legal knowledge would have come into play in asserting: "No! You assume wrongly. Not enough horses in there to need rego or licence. " :) )

Ian

I thought this was a Citroën chattyworld Jon! 😂 yeah but no but...

In Victoria a Velo Solex is considered a moped and the motor assists pedalling, and they do not have to be registered.

I have used them for about 15 years and there has been a formal (written) Police or Court opinion has been given given in the past. A motorised bicycle is not a moped because the motor is started separately.( I think the Frankston police site is discussing a different variation of powered bike). A Velo Solex can only be started by pedalling.

I will try and find a copy of the opinion and post it. Ted
Ted is correct and in fact local Solex club member has had his bike tested and it meets the power requirements so no registration required

Vicroads website statement:
dynoe test No.2.jpg

The 49cc Velosolex's factory power rating is 0.8 bhp or 600 watts.
Governing the power output down to the 200W Victorian legal maximum (to obtain compliance) is not permitted for obvious reasons.
Whether people have "exemptions" or not, I would say in the unfortunate event of a post accident court case, two things will certainly be presented: the factory power rating, and the state's legal maximum power rating.
This is the specifications page out of the factory owner's manual.
If a dumb arse like me can find it in 2 minutes on Google I reckon a lawyer probably could too.
Case closed.🤷‍♂️

20240212_135325.jpg

Well this is confusing. The club had a bike dump tested and we have paperwork acknowledging that the bikes do not require registration. I’m happy to hang my hat on something from vicroads which says it is fine

Well this is confusing. The club had a bike dump tested and we have paperwork acknowledging that the bikes do not require registration. I’m happy to hang my hat on something from vicroads which says it is fine
The State Transport bodies make decisions on the information provided.
If the applicant provided "evidence" from a reputable source (other than the vehicle manufacturer), that will be accepted if it seems reasonable, of course "reasonable" is subjective depending on who is looking at it..

I have an imported car that came with a completely fabricated history regarding its date of manufacture that was accepted as true and correct by WA Transport. The PO did it to avoid having to comply with any ADRs (as the true manufacture date was post the commencement of the ADRs). It took me 5 minutes of reading through the paperwork that came with the car when it showed up to realise something didn't add up. Obviously WA Transport personnel only had 4 minutes to spare when he was licencing it.🤦‍♂️
This particular vehicle had no real changes during its production run, ie, they all look the same. I rang the the seller and he fessed up to what he had done.
I have a Mini that came from NSW with over a decade's worth of annual pink slips, from several different inspection centers, all with the wrong VIN number on them.
I have a Mustang with a previous registration history in QLD that has an erroneous VIN number recorded on the QLD Transport database.
Transport personnel aren't generally mechanically minded any more, they are more happy to rubber stamp what's in front of them if it ticks the boxes (paid by the hour)😴.
I would be like "mmm a 50cc 2 stroke bike engine that apparently puts out 25% of the power of a 25cc Victa whipper snipper, that doesn't sound right".🤔

Why did the club the trouble of getting the bike tested and not just provide VicRoads with the (easily found) manufacturer's stated power output?

I thought this was "settled" (post #26). Seems not... :(

Ian.
Someone, somewhere has signed off on saying those bikes having no more than 200Ws of power.
I wouldn't like to be that someone if something bad happens with one of these bikes.
I think we all know sh#t rolls down hill in those circumstances.
But I guess if you're not the "someone", it's all good.👍👍

really? hmmm
You trying to say something?
why? Did you also ride a 3800 Solex in Corsica?
How would you know, you probably never owned one except maybe an old crapped out 50 year old one!

So I'll repeat: When Solex brought out the 3800 in the early 70's. IT WAS WELL ABLE to climb hills whether in France OR Corsica.

Last edited:
looking at the offerings of new machines, it appears that the criteria for licensing the rider has moved to a "25kph" max speed in public places, the old 200W/250W limits have gone the way of the dodo in the shops with many on offer at 1kW, onward and upwards !!
A decade ago on the bike paths there were unregistered "Vespa" style electric bikes with tiny pedals that flew like the wind, the only rider input being wrist movement....
All very confusing, the VicRoads paper also suggests speed is a factor, and uses inexplicit terminology such as "likely"..... :rolleyes:
As usual, the consumer will get the kick in bum if the local constable interprets the rules to be not in your favour.
BTW, there are two 200W bikes here, they both attack steep hills but the batteries feel it if you don't pedal.... :)
Bob

looking at the offerings of new machines, it appears that the criteria for licensing the rider has moved to a "25kph" max speed in public places, the old 200W/250W limits have gone the way of the dodo in the shops with many on offer at 1kW, onward and upwards !!
A decade ago on the bike paths there were unregistered "Vespa" style electric bikes with tiny pedals that flew like the wind, the only rider input being wrist movement....
All very confusing, the VicRoads paper also suggests speed is a factor, and uses inexplicit terminology such as "likely"..... :rolleyes:
As usual, the consumer will get the kick in bum if the local constable interprets the rules to be not in your favour.
BTW, there are two 200W bikes here, they both attack steep hills but the batteries feel it if you don't pedal.... :)
Bob
Are the "offerings" advertised as being legal though?
There was a guy selling 8KW E scooters up here last year that could do 120 kph.
Obviously not legal for road use.🤷‍♂️

You trying to say something?
why? Did you also ride a 3800 Solex in Corsica?
How would you know, you probably never owned one except maybe an old crapped out 50 year old one!

So I'll repeat: When Solex brought out the 3800 in the early 70's. IT WAS WELL ABLE to climb hills whether in France OR Corsica.
how do say "tetchy" in Fwunch? 👍😂

This just popped up on my feed regarding an E-bike offence in NSW.
They didn't mi$$ her, that's for sure.
The last sentence in the article sums up NSW's position on petrol engined bicycles.

This just popped up on my feed regarding an E-bike offence in NSW.
They didn't mi$$ her, that's for sure.
The last sentence in the article sums up NSW's position on petrol engined bicycles.

I can see why she was fined. That E-Scooter has no pedals and its only means of propulsion is the electric motor. Turns out that was one expensive trip for the school run.

I can see why she was fined. That E-Scooter has no pedals and its only means of propulsion is the electric motor. Turns out that was one expensive trip for the school run.
Just had a closer look at the photo shown and I can actually see a pedal on the right hand side