Vel Satis to come to Oz

GTI124

who? when? huh?
1000+ Posts
Read this in the weekend's paper, they're talking like 10 a year or something! Hands up who's buying one?

<a href="http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/B62AA66889FFBDB8CA256C410002F3D2" target="_blank">http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/B62AA66889FFBDB8CA256C410002F3D2</a>

About the same number of people who were prepared stump up 80 big ones for a Citroen or a Pug - in the last year of the XM there were about 6! And 607's aren't exactly thick on the ground.

Admittedly the Vel Satis is a different animal, but still fits into the 'quirky' class as the motoring rotters would say.

Paul

I dont think this will be a good seller here in oz. I hope it is and we see a few about.
I think most silly Australians would rather get into an Audi A6 for that price...

Renault's rationale is to bring it out to get people talking about it and getting used to the future direction of Renault's designs. Looking at the new Megane, I can see what they mean...

The article actually says Renault Australia expect to sell 5-10 per *month*!! eek! ...

That's a pretty courageous figure.....though i suppose Alfa seem to be selling a few of the poorly reviewed 166s....and there's even a new Rover or two that has actually been sold....so, who knows?, maybe renault will sell a few:)

I know someone who bought an s1 and later an s2 XM new.....what percentage of Australian XMs is that? :D
________
AmberChase live

Last edited:
And why are people silly for getting an A6? I think it could be argued that getting a Vel Satis would be pretty silly too :)

I doubt there'll be much of your $80k left after a few years for a start.

I'm with pug307,

The depreciation on a new $80,000 Vel Satis will be savage.......traditionally Audi resale isn't great either (much better these days then say 10yrs ago though)....but Renaults really suck in this regard....anyone remember what depreciation was like on new 25s? (it was painful to watch)

Renault (their importers) let their brandname and reputation from the <70s all but disappear, it will be hard work getting it back and with it, respectable resale values, the same hard work Citroen has been performing the last 5-10yrs or so here.....
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited:
It is interesting to read in that article that the car will be sold on a "order only" basis - I assume that means it's not likely to see many of them in showrooms etc.

A good way to hedge your bets on a low volume seller. With a bit of luck, they'll have the same arrangement with the (really expensive!) Clio V6.

That way people who want these cars can get them, but the local distributor doesn't get burnt with dead stock if no-one buys them (R25 V6 Baccara?)

danielsydney:
I dont think this will be a good seller here in oz. I hope it is and we see a few about.
I think most silly Australians would rather get into an Audi A6 for that price...
Danielsydney,

After reading your previous posts, it would seem you have a dislike of Australian tastes - somehow the French are vastly superior and can somehow 'educate' Australians in style and culture.

What makes you think 'silly' people will choose an Audi A6 over a Vel Satan? Have you ever driven an Audi lately? (I have driven both the A3 and TT). Personally, at this price range, I wouldn't touch a Vel Satan with a ten foot barge pole.

The styling is a total disaster. I don't think even Hyundai can steep this low. If this is the 'styling' direction of Renault then I wish them the very best of luck - they'll need all of it.

So the 'silly' Australians will choose the A6 over the Vel Satis? On the contrary Daniel, it's the stupid money that will go to the Vel Satan. Especially considering the appauling resale values the upper luxury French cars get.

Before you all get too excited...remeber the Ford Edsell?
That's the kind of car that becomes a collectors item not the average run of the mill stuff roll_lau roll_lau roll_lau mallet

Alan S cheers!

All depends what you're after in a car.

I personally think that anything in the VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda empire is a piece of rubbish, but that's just because I owned a Mark IV VW GTI and considering they build the TT, A3, Beetle, and various other things off the same platform, if they've got the same level of blandness, then I'll be steering clear away. I don't agree with platform, engine, gearbox and suspension sharing, we don't get the same #@%%, different smell then. Ford have gone the way of shared platforms and electronics, for the same economies of scale. Maybe most consumers are that gullible to be buying the same car with a different skin and badge, but I'm not.

Sure, they might be nice cars, but are typical boring German personality-lacking fridges on wheels. (not as bad as many Japanese cars, I think we'd all agree on that). This is my personal opinion, of course! head_ban

So if you want a car with personality, then you look towards the French for that flair and uniqueness. Sure the Vel Satis is an outrageous piece of design, but I think it takes great courage to build something like that, let alone import it into an fairly conservative car market like Australia.

In the end, though, I'll be admiring from afar and pick up a 607 instead...if I had the choice...

Cmon guys dont attack me from giving my opinion. :D I dont think that is quite fair. As for "not being the sharpest tool in the shed" you people dont even know me personally so cant make judgements like that. Thankyou!!

... this thread has all the hallmarks of that "well worn" SAAB thread!hahaha roll_lau whip

Yeah, im a big fan of danielsydney's work, no matter how incoherent some of his posts may seem (hehehe :D ).

GTI124, i on the other hand, regard the volks empire, highly, for their innovation, benchmark cars and their platform sharing program... reminds me of a french car marque eek! .

The Vel Satis looks like a hybrid - that of a 4wd and a large people mover (thats a given considering its "tall boy" stance), both of which are extremely popular, now. Yeah, if Alfalfa Romeo can sell a few 166s, and Lexarse can move the rather bland es 300, i do not see how renault cant, either.

Yeah, it is confronting and the Val Satis will cause a lot of discussion, but...dunno why, but i am finding it difficult to see it as renault's flagship. And that depreciation!arghh

renaulturbo:
C'mon, cut him some slack. It is Danielsydney we are talking about here. Not exactly the sharpest knife in the draw

cheers!
Lets not start attacking people personally here. The Aussiefrogs BB is one of the more civilised and well managed automotive bulletin boards on the net. Please, keep it civil. :)

pugjet:
GTI124, i on the other hand, regard the volks empire, highly, for their innovation, benchmark cars and their platform sharing program... reminds me of a french car marque eek! .
Yeah, well the French have a great knack in building great handling cars. When VW can do the same then I'll take notice, their first attempt has resulted in blandness and I read it as contempt for the market. Sure it's innovative, but I think they've gone too far, that's all. All manufacturers have to platform or engine share, I have no problem with that, but I feel the VW empire went that step too far and saturated the market with more of the same.

Let's see how they go with Mark V Golf...

cheers! Lincoln

Good on Renault I hope they sell a few.

I think its great to see different and interesting cars on the road.

If you dont like it well dont buy it, go on give it a bagging, maybe you might even like to consider a commondoor (ooo that's a bit low)

As for personal attacks or generalised slander of any group of peoples - being aussies or audi drivers - Take it somewhere else

... yeah, the french car marques are renowned for many things, among them, timeless appeal and great handling.

VWs on the other hand are renowned for other attributes, one of which is building solid, reliable (so ive been told... hehehe) automobiles that have the masses lining up.

Platform sharing is a byproduct of rationalisation. The bonus for many people is that whats good enough for an Audi is going to be good enough for a more humble car like a golf, seat, skoda. Ive read reviews comparing several of the cars in the vw groups line up... The interesting thing that i noted was that although, the cars shared underpinings, they had their own identity (hope you get ma drift *wink* wink ).

But i think ive digressed enough! eek! .

The Vel Satis, like i said before, will polarise many. I guess, Renault Australia wants a flagship car that is easily recocgnizable - an important attribute in todays world in which brand identity is important. But i wonder whod be the first to drop 80 gees for this errr, ummm french ugly duckling? (nah... i like it approve )

... anyways, ive bullsh!tted enough, already mallet ,

ta cheers! ,

pugjet

<small>[ 01 October 2002, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: pugjet ]</small>

Seems like the Vel Satis may herald a return to the days of old with the 16 in AUS.

In Australia the marketing guru of the early '70's said the hardest thing to do was to get potential owners behind the wheel of a 16 for a test drive because it looked so unusual. The hardest thing afterwards was to get them out of the car.

Really the Vel Satis seems a quite practical car, one that you don't have to stoop to get into, and don't have to climb up to get into either without having the dynamics of a lumbering SUV.

I know if I had $80k and didn't care how much money I lost I'd buy one :D

After a test drive of course :D

Derek