Vale barryg - Barry Gauke

UFO

Citroën Tragic
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Froggers,

It is my sad duty to inform you that we lost another frogger yesterday.

Barry Gauke, or barryg as we knew him here had been valiantly battling cancer for some time and even earlier this year was optimistic that he had it beaten. However this was not to be and he passed away yesterday afternoon 4 Nov 2010. He is survived by his wife Veronica and two sons and a daughter.

Barry was a quiet and helpful person who attended a number of Citroen Car Club of NSW events - especially technical days. He and Veronica attended several Cit Ins that I can recall and had a range of Cits during the time I knew him.

His advice on AF to others, and his generosity with advice and parts was admired. I also appreciated his dry and not too often seen wit. Next week will mark seven years since he joined aussiefrogs.

RIP mate, you will be missed.

I am advised that the funeral for Barry will be at:

West Chapel
Pine Grove Memorial Park
Kington Rd
Minchinbury

at 12:30, Tuesday 9th November

My condolences to his family, who I had the pleasure of meeting just once over a cuppa and bickys at his place a few month back when i picked up the engine hoist he gave me.

From what I saw that day, he was a good man with a big heart and a beautiful family and home to show for it.

RIP, Barry.

Jo

Very sad news. He will be missed.

Condolences to all family and friends

Matt

Oh bugger ... I thought he was over it too :( We had several meals with Barry and his wife at Cit-ins :(

RIP barryg.

Shane L.

Very sad news indeed...

Thank you Kaye for letting me know last night, and Craig for your fitting tribute.

Sadly I never met Barry in person but can add to the above comments in that his online persona was always positive and helpful, he wll be missed here on AF for his contructive assistance to many of us, more so our Citroen community.

My condolences to family and friends
RIP barryg

Cheers
Chris

My sincerest condolences to his wife and family too.
Barry's online persona is just as people mentioned, always helpful from what I experienced and I am sure he carried the same qualities in life.
RIP Barry.

I met Barry a few times when he came to Melbourne for his son's fencing tournaments and a few of us froggers met in Melbourne to dine. He will be very much missed. I saw him about 3 weeks ago and to share the bonding of aussiefrogs I gave him a little tiny frog made of grass woven by a Chinese man. It was quite intricate and tiny about 1.5 cm big.

I gave him that frog from all of us and you know, I reckon he understood. Because af is about community and Barry loved and knew the value of that and shared the knowing.

I send my love and condolences on this sad loss to his wife Veronica, and his kids that I met being Jessika and Ant.

Last edited:
My sincere condolences to the family. Although I never met Barry in person, we chatted a couple of times on phone and in pms, He did have a wonderful dry sense of humour. I am sure dad will also add his condolences as soon as he is able to.

sad to see yet another one leave

i am unsure if i ever met Barry but i probably did somewhere along the line ot one of the FCD's

I did read a lot of his posts though and he was always well received

this is very upsetting news. I saw barry and veronica only a few weeks ago. He was one of lifes gentlemen. he will be missed by me and my wife Elizabeth.
R.I.P barry

Oh dear, this is very sad! Last time I was in Australia, I had the good fortune to meet Barry, Veronica, Lachlan, Jessica, and Anthony. They showed me great kindness, and hospitality. My heart, and sympathies are with them at this very difficult time.

holidaystuff150-1.jpg

Happier times, Barry, Veronica, and Andy... this was taken at the 2006 Cit-in, in Dubbo.

Last edited:
Happier times indeed thankyou JS for posting. I will never forget such warm and generous people as Barry and Veronica. I truly hope that you can find some peace and joy at the loss of such a kind hearted soul. Rest in peace Barry G.

Just noticed this thread and came in for a look... very sorry to hear of Barry's passing.

His ghost is still reading Aussiefrogs though! In the bottom left corner, current viewers are peujohn and barryg!!!

Most likely a member of his family, checking out the tributes to Barry.

A great guy, a ggod friend, sadly missed by all who knew him!

I met Barry through Aussie Frogs, and consider him as one of natures gentlemen and tragic that illness struck him down in the prime years of his life.

I met him in Melbourne on the occasions that his son Anthony (Ant) was competing in National Fencing titles. He was absolutely committed to his family and a fine example of the Aussie Frogs fraternity, the type of person that when you meet, you instantly know that you will be friends.

We had many pm exchanges and I very much appreciated the depth and breadth of his knowledge on many diverse subjects. A strong character, willing to speak his mind and respectful of alternative thoughts and issues.

I was hoping that he had much more time with us, though on the last time we met recently, his health and condition had deteriorated, but the spirit and determination of his character was to make the most of his time with his family. I am sure that he would have fought on till the end with his family by his side.

Veronica, Anthony, Jessica, and Lachlan can be justly proud of their Dad, and I assure you that you were always uppermost in his thoughts and you should always be encouraged by his pride in your individual and family achievements. I wish that I had known him for a much longer time than we had.

Such is the quality of friends you meet by way of Aussie Frogs. At least that is how I have found.

We have just arrived back in Melbourne and I am upset that I will not be able to be with the family and give them my personal condolences this coming Tuesday. For those fellow froggers attending Barry's funeral will they please pass on my personal condolences, I do so wish I was able to attend.

Vale!

Ken.

So much to do in the time we have, but so important to have done what we can to help where we can!

My condolences also to his family. I was thinking of BarryG just the other day in relation to one of his helpful and informative Citroen posts.

Simon

Gee, that's a shame, I liked Barry, though I never met him in person. I thought he made a thoughtful and knowledgeable contribution in person. I never even knew he was battling illness. :(