Vacuum Advance Unit (205GTi)

Justin B

Fellow Frogger
Hi Guys,

Well... thank god for a friend that knows what he is on about. After seeing my fowled spark plugs he tested the vacuum advance unit.

THERE WAS NO PRESSURE HELD. I.e The bladder in the unit is torn.

So... Does anyone know where can I get a new Vacuum Advance Unit over the XMas break?

Thanks
Justin

It's a very common problem. Most 205 owners wouldn't even know theirs is broken. I've parted with two recently and only have one left, which I'm reluctant to sell. Have you tried Auto France?

PeterT said:
It's a very common problem. Most 205 owners wouldn't even know theirs is broken. I've parted with two recently and only have one left, which I'm reluctant to sell. Have you tried Auto France?

Peter,

I only found out yesterday.. I was going to call auto france monday..., if not then alec milduran or ASV wreckers.

Where have you scored your spare units from in the past?

Justin

P.s What else should I replace whilst I have the dizzy out? i.e what consumable parts.

Justin

Justin B said:
Peter,

I only found out yesterday.. I was going to call auto france monday..., if not then alec milduran or ASV wreckers.

Where have you scored your spare units from in the past?

Justin

P.s What else should I replace whilst I have the dizzy out? i.e what consumable parts.

Justin
Just spare motors I've come accross. One of the good units is in Darren's 205. I'm not sure if he's still using it as he has an aftermarket ECU now. Try sending him a PM.

PeterT said:
Just spare motors I've come accross. One of the good units is in Darren's 205. I'm not sure if he's still using it as he has an aftermarket ECU now. Try sending him a PM.

Peter, Which Darren (member) is it? there are 2 with 'darren' as part of their member name.

Also... why wouldn't the 'gas analyzer' pick this up when I was over? It is a case of the gases were perfect, but the timing was out and therefore NO MAXIMUM power?

Thanks
Justin

Justin B said:
Peter, Which Darren (member) is it? there are 2 with 'darren' as part of their member name.

Also... why wouldn't the 'gas analyzer' pick this up when I was over? It is a case of the gases were perfect, but the timing was out and therefore NO MAXIMUM power?

Thanks
Justin

Darren MYT205

The vacuum advance only advances the spark under high vacuum conditions e.g. cruising. This ignites the spark earlier giving a more effecient burn, thus better fuel economy. If the mixtures are inside the range of the O2 closed loop system, the ECU will just compensate, maintaining 14.7:1 AFR. The vacuum advance has no effect under heavy load (low vacuum situatons). ie going up a hill in a high gear, or wide open throttle.

Peter,

Looking at the parts CD, and talking to the guys at Alec Milduren at Artarmon parts, how can I tell what sort of dizzy I have? The parts CD lists about 20 different dizzy's for the 205 pre 91.

tnx
Justin

PeterT said:
Darren MYT205

The vacuum advance only advances the spark under high vacuum conditions e.g. cruising. This ignites the spark earlier giving a more effecient burn, thus better fuel economy. If the mixtures are inside the range of the O2 closed loop system, the ECU will just compensate, maintaining 14.7:1 AFR. The vacuum advance has no effect under heavy load (low vacuum situatons). ie going up a hill in a high gear, or wide open throttle.

Justin B said:
Peter,

Looking at the parts CD, and talking to the guys at Alec Milduren at Artarmon parts, how can I tell what sort of dizzy I have? The parts CD lists about 20 different dizzy's for the 205 pre 91.

tnx
Justin

It will more than likely be a Bosch 0231009051 distributor.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response. I assume you mean the 023"7"009051. I'm not in front of the car at the moment (stuck at work).. where abouts will I find the serial / model number? Please don't tell me that I have to remove it

thanks
Justin

PeterT said:
It will more than likely be a Bosch 0231009051 distributor.