URGENT HELP NEEDED. Xsara won't start?

DJ-Studd

Fellow Frogger
Hi Guys,
I'm having a problem starting my Xsara.
Drop up, parked at my in-law's place then went inside for 40 minutes. Came back out, tried to start her and the starter moter makes a quick click, then all of the dials flutter like crazy and the wipers move up a few inches, with dinging noises and crazy stuff.

Help, the car won't start!

I've tried removing the power to the car a few times to reset the ECU, but it has made no difference. Jump starting didn't do anything, same result as above.

Heeeelp!

Ta.
-- DJ

Edit: it also at one point said that there was an airbag fault when I put the ignition on, but I haven't gotten that to appear again.

Yep,

battery or battery terminals. That's how modern batteries die (ie: no warning).

seeya,
Shane L.

Xsara won`t start.

Iàm afraid Shane`s on the right track. Possible dead cell in battery,check alternator drive belt isn`t broken & is adjusted too proper tension. Don`t forget too check charge rate when you get mobile again.:2cents:

If I read this correctly he's already tried to jump start it so it's highly unlikely it'll be a battery.
I'd siuspect a short in the starter or solenoid possibly or maybe even a starter switch/ignition switch failure.

Alan S

Arr...
it was the battery.
The battery, although only 3.5 years old, had completely carked it and thus wasn't completing the circuit...

New battery and off she goes :headbang:

Thanks guys :p
-- DJ

DJ-Studd said:
Arr...
it was the battery.
The battery, although only 3.5 years old, had completely carked it and thus wasn't completing the circuit...

New battery and off she goes :headbang:

Thanks guys :p
-- DJ
only 3.5 years old:eek: :eek: I'd not scof at that, the life span these days would be lucky to be 2 years average.

HONG KONG PUGGY said:
only 3.5 years old:eek: :eek: I'd not scof at that, the life span these days would be lucky to be 2 years average.

We got 5 years out of the original battery on the 1.8L Xsara. It will be interesting to see if we can get similar life span out of the replacement one.

Troy.

Last battery I bought was a Caterpillar maintennance free. Ran it for two years in a 4 cyl. Tarago then transferred it to my Rover V8 for the last 3 years. Still turned her over several times before firing up after a week of no activity last week when I sold the car. These batteries came with a 5 year pro rata warranty when I bought it but I don't know if that still applies. Best battery I've bought in years. Still doesn't beat the Hungarian battery that was in a Lada a family member owned, 7 years of continous service. Shame the Lada couldn't match the battery!!!:joker:
Dom