unleaded fuel and the fuego

Arzy

Fellow Frogger
hey all

anyone know if the fuego can run on unleaded fuel for continous period of time?? Are the valves ok with this or does the head need to be modified??

I've used Premium Unleaded continuiously for years without any problems. My local Renault expert said the engine had been designed from the outset to run on unleaded!

Renault Distributors, importers of Fuego's to Australia in 1986, issued a service bulletin indicating that unleaded petrol (91 octane) could be used in the Fuego motor. If your vehicle is the original low compression motor fitted for Australian emission controls, it will be OK to use normal unleaded. If it has been reconditioned and the current compression ratio is unknown, or has had the head shaved at any time in its past life it would be appropriate to use premium unleaded. The valves and seats are suited to unleaded from the factory.

Interestingly, when I had the head of an R12 reconditioned recently, the head shop reckoned from how hard the valve seats were to re-machine, they would also be OK for unleaded. Not that I particularly believe this, but I thought I'd bring it up.

Oh, and not that it has anything to do with a Fuego, either. In fact, I don't even know why I added this at all. Carry on, chaps. :rolleyes:

Stuey