tyre tests

Hi. I found the following interesting artlicles.
  • Custom developed OEM Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for the BMW M series, with different bands of rubber compound.
  • Electric cars are far more likely to need roadside assistance due to problems with tyres or wheels than running out of range. Over a third of callouts to electric cars (36%) were to do with wheels. That’s compared to 11% for cars that have run out of battery.
  • Continental’s new HL (heavy load) tyres designed for electric cars. These and others should reduce the number of breakdowns for EV drivers, especially as this research shows that range anxiety may not be a thing to worry about.
  • Comparison of Road vs Track vs Slick tyres.
Cheers.

Electric cars are far more likely to need roadside assistance due to problems with tyres or wheels than running out of range
Probably because they don't have spares
Hi, Spot On, That is exactly what the article said, no spare wheels in vehicle.

Cheers.

That my friend is just another symptom of a privileged human existence. Remember that folks don't need to change gears anymore, carry cash, have basic navigation skills or be alone as long as they have a device.

Don't worry about me though, I'm waiting to be transported back to the 1930s from whence I came.

Hi.

I don’t disagree with comments about the spare tyre. But applying the same logic, I don’t see manufactures supply vehicles with a spare battery (or set of jumper leads) alongside the spare wheel.

Source: https://newcastleweekly.com.au/car-broken-down-chances-are-its-the-battery-nrma-says/

Battery problems are the leading cause of car breakdowns in the Hunter, new figures show.

Of the almost 850,000 callouts attended in the Newcastle and the Hunter by the National Roads and Motorists’ Association (NRMA) patrols in 2020, 43,000 were for battery problems.

Figures show that almost half (46%) were related to battery failure.

The figures are based on callouts from March 2020 to February 2021.

Other major breakdown causes in a year of roadside service heavily-affected by the COVID-19 pandemic included wheels and tyres (14%), electrical (8%), cooling system (4%) and fuel injection (3%).

Cheers.

Hi.

I don’t disagree with comments about the spare tyre. But applying the same logic, I don’t see manufactures supply vehicles with a spare battery (or set of jumper leads) alongside the spare wheel.

Source: https://newcastleweekly.com.au/car-broken-down-chances-are-its-the-battery-nrma-says/

Battery problems are the leading cause of car breakdowns in the Hunter, new figures show.

Of the almost 850,000 callouts attended in the Newcastle and the Hunter by the National Roads and Motorists’ Association (NRMA) patrols in 2020, 43,000 were for battery problems.

Other major breakdown causes in a year of roadside service heavily-affected by the COVID-19 pandemic included wheels and tyres (14%), electrical (8%), cooling system (4%) and fuel injection (3%).

Cheers.
No you don't see jumper leads as standard equipment, that maybe seen as a reliability issue by the buying public.

We use to get crank handles standard with cars before 1970, but seeing as cars are now mainly east/west engines it makes it a lot harder to use these devices, and it would cost a bit of money to engineer a crank starter into the modern car. Also as most modern cars are autos here in Aust we can no longer roll start our cars (So the can you give us a push mate has gone).

Just my :2cents: worth.

Hi :)
In my experience the flat battery is not uncommon and my industrial jump starter has started lots of cars over the years, out the front, at the beach and in the bush etc. Never my own by the way. But often self inflicted by leaving the lights on or similar, or ignoring the 'just managed to crank it over' message earlier.;)
But I have had a few punctures over the years and often pickup screws off the road as I walk around(thanks tradies). So I believe that is an unavoidable irritation somewhat alleviated by pressure sensors and a light on the dash these days. Oh and the NRMA for some people. :cool:
Just for interest the guy up the road left his Pug lights on recently and I knocked and told him. He was unconcerned and said he would just leave it for a while to recover and then try it. It started OK no jump starter required. Hmm more people should try that before sucking the life out of the battery first up. :rolleyes:
jaahn

Hi.

Cheers.
Thanks. That's interesting. I guess moderns are more sensitive to battery voltage too. About as many "modern" owners can connect jumper leads correctly as can actually change a spare wheel I imagine.

Thanks. That's interesting. I guess moderns are more sensitive to battery voltage too. About as many "modern" owners can connect jumper leads correctly as can actually change a spare wheel I imagine.
Hi, I guess that the new cars do actually turn off things after a while if not mobile, so even that problem has been resolved with out any driver intervention ! So the battery problems might be only on the interim models that do not have this feature. I have not had much experience with very new cars so I am just speculating.
Jaahn

Hi, I guess that the new cars do actually turn off things after a while if not mobile, so even that problem has been resolved with out any driver intervention ! So the battery problems might be only on the interim models that do not have this feature. I have not had much experience with very new cars so I am just speculating.
Jaahn
Our Scenics do turn off the interior lights after a while if I leave the tailgate up, I've noticed. 2006....

Pretty much all new cars turn off every thing if the engine is turned off and key removed (and you open the door as if walking away I suppose).

But about battery failure being the main reason for service callouts I would hazard a guess that a flat tyre is pretty clear whereas a battery fault does not manifest itself always in a very clear way immediately so it is easier to overlook.

No spare wheels. NO SPARE WHEELS?????? I have no words for this nonsense.
Couldn't agree more... that said the spare tyres in my last >5 cars the spares had never been touched - still brand new when the cars were sold on. We've never had a blow out on a highway (very thankfully), can only recall getting 1 or 2 punctures repaired in the last 10 years (he says touching wood and stroking a lucky rabbits foot [well, not so lucky for the rabbit]).
Decent quality modern tyres are much better than 40 odd years ago, road quality has improved, suburban life and probably other factors make a spare tyre less useful for suburbanites these days.
The wife's DS5 shopping trolley doesn't have a spare tire at all - that's Ok.
There are those who need a spare tyre due to their location, use and driving then a great many of us who simply will never use one.
But it is nice that the C5 has a "temp spare" (it too is brand new) for the occasional trip. But if it didn't, I'd still feel confident to take it on a trip.

Couldn't agree more... that said the spare tyres in my last >5 cars the spares had never been touched - still brand new when the cars were sold on. We've never had a blow out on a highway (very thankfully), can only recall getting 1 or 2 punctures repaired in the last 10 years (he says touching wood and stroking a lucky rabbits foot [well, not so lucky for the rabbit]).
Decent quality modern tyres are much better than 40 odd years ago, road quality has improved, suburban life and probably other factors make a spare tyre less useful for suburbanites these days.
The wife's DS5 shopping trolley doesn't have a spare tire at all - that's Ok.
There are those who need a spare tyre due to their location, use and driving then a great many of us who simply will never use one.
But it is nice that the C5 has a "temp spare" (it too is brand new) for the occasional trip. But if it didn't, I'd still feel confident to take it on a trip.
I think I need to buy a rabbit's foot. I have had several punctures in Sydney in recent years, usually building site debris (tek screws, nails). I was chatting to a few friends in the area a few months ago - they too had to get a tyre plugged recently after picking up a nail or whatever.
The worst was about 3 years ago driving to Canberra in a BMW on run-flats. I looked down for just a moment as I started to roll out of a services car park, and managed to drive over the one and only damn pothole in the whole place at barely walking pace. Yep, sidewall pinched, run-flat tyres, no spare. That was fun, esp as it was a rare size and a RFT, lucky to find a replacement in Canberra on a Saturday.