Tyre pressure sensor on 2008 and lack of detection of total deflation.

BarryC

Fellow Frogger
I have at times been made aware of the tyre deflation sensors in my (year 2017, 1.2 turbo) 2008. It’s worked a few times, due to both punctured tyres and also sheer laziness on regularly checking tyre pressures. My understanding is that these “sensors” actually work by sensing the relative rotational speeds of each tyre, and send an alert when one detects a change in tyre diameter (due to a puncture, for example).

However, in Melbourne the other evening, I managed to clout the end of a concrete separator (about the height and cross-section of a brick) between tram tracks and the road, turning from Sturt Street outside the Recital Centre into Southbank Boulevarde. (I could show a picture of a banana for scale, but this is getting too long, anyway). I would further attempt to explain how it wasn’t all my fault, but I’d get little sympathy, I expect.

The car made a loud thump, I said “bother!”, and I wondered whether I’d punctured the tyre, but there was no message from the puncture warning sensor in the car, and the car still seemed to drive OK. I drove home, with some slightly louder road noises from the rear of the car, but otherwise the car handled fine, and I drove home via the freeway doing 100K for much of the trip. Nothing particular to report except for the slightly louder road noise, and in hindsight, some slight feeling of wandering.

I inspected the tyre when I got home and it was dead flat, and I now suspect that this happened immediately after the hit.

Short story - the next morning, I put the spare on and further inspected the tyre. The bead had separated from the rim at least partly, but there was no obvious mechanical damage to the tyre. I’ve since had the two rear tyres replaced, as, in any case, replacement was due.

My question is that the deflation warning did not occur at any time after the collision. Id be interested in any thoughts. Since I’ve replaced the two tyres and fiddled with pressures a bit, the deflation warning has worked as it should. Just didn’t work when there was an obvious massive pressure change.

any thoughts?

Tyre pressure monitoring sensors measure temperature and pressure. Some new systems detect rotation direction. They can also detect whether the wheel is stationary or not by an included simple accelerometer. The information is packed into a digital frame together with the MAC address (unique identifying number) of the sensor and broadcast by low power radio (usually at 433.9 MHz) To preserve battery life the packet is sent intermittently. For some transmitters it's about every 1/2 minute, others 2 minutes apart. Transmission ceases when the car is stopped also to preserve the battery.

Near each wheel hub is a radio antenna, which collects the signal packets. A frame will contain format header bytes, ID bytes, pressure and temperature values and a checksum and end of frame, for analysis by the car computer.

When you use a computer for wireless transmission a related thing occurs, though the data section is much larger.

Last edited:
It may be that your sensor has a minimum operating pressure and the event occurred completely in the silent gap. Just a speculation.