Two new racecars in NZ

I am curious Frans, why are there cars with engine capacities greater than 2.0 lit, racing in the Group A 0-2000 class (although I see they are really not competitive based on where they finished)?
Or is there another measure that is not immediately obvious - power/weight?

Here (MSCA sprint series) there are 2 classes for 0-2000cc cars - pre and post 1985 (classic vs modern).
Here in NZ we have a series that is supposed to be a cheap introductory series and they are using the SSangyong Action UTEs. (pick-ups). I think that is Mercedes engines and they were just an invitation team for the event. How cheap? I don't know because they are running sequential gearboxes and I have no idea what additional mods are allowed.

This info from WIKI.

The series features a field of slightly modified Actyons with identical drive trains, allowing driver ability to determine race outcomes. The racing Actyons featured a 2.3 litre petrol engine by Mercedes-Benz mated to a locally sourced four speed sequential gearbox and an open differential. The suspension was lowered to improve handling and a full protective rollcage and harnesses were installed.

I don't think they would have featured in the next class.

Frans.

@Shoji and the oldest driver as well. At least there is another guy that shares the age group with me. Both of us are 71 years young.

Frans
Makes me want to get my helmet and racing suit back out of the closet!

Hi,

Here is a link to the 12 lap race I had a month ago, 7th April. There is another video of the one I won!! Have to be edited for YouTube and then I'll post the link.

Regards, Frans.

Well done! Now presumably the race organisers give you a bigger handicap so it can't happen again! 😁

Hi all.

Some useless information.

I was surprised that when I calculated the mileage on the existing engine of the result that I got. I decided to do this just before I start removing the wet sump engine and replacing it with the dry sump one.

Since I started logging the races that I participated in, and this is taken conservatively as the minimum, I had entered 56 events. The result is a calculation of the 2 shortest track length.

Each event has 3 races totalling 24 laps plus 6 laps qualifying.

That comes to 90km per event. Multiply that by 56 events and the result is 5040km.

So, since 2009 the race car has done 5040 race kilometres. The bottom end was refreshed once only when I broke a piston. The cylinder head was replaced once however it required a bit more attention.

These statistics surprised me. Feeling good about the car.

Regards. Frans.

Thanks for the likes and comments!

Another point that made me calculate the racing distance, is that on the last event as described above with the videos, I had black crumbs on my racing suit every time I came back from a race. I couldn't figure out what it was and where it came from. Eventually, I saw the crumbs falling out of the steering wheel which has felt a little weird lately. Okay, problem solved. The steering wheel has had its days.

I got a new one from the internet and fitted it the other day and then I didn't have the heart to throw the old one away. I ordered a movement again from the
internet and look at this.

clock.jpg

Now the race car is looking like this! Brand new!

steer.jpg

I have just noticed in this photo that it is in desperate need of a wash inside! Will surely do that.

Regards, Frans.

Thanks for the likes and comments!

Another point that made me calculate the racing distance, is that on the last event as described above with the videos, I had black crumbs on my racing suit every time I came back from a race. I couldn't figure out what it was and where it came from. Eventually, I saw the crumbs falling out of the steering wheel which has felt a little weird lately. Okay, problem solved. The steering wheel has had its days.

I got a new one from the internet and fitted it the other day and then I didn't have the heart to throw the old one away. I ordered a movement again from the
internet and look at this.

View attachment 243022

Now the race car is looking like this! Brand new!

View attachment 243024

I have just noticed in this photo that it is in desperate need of a wash inside! Will surely do that.

Regards, Frans.
Good to see the correct rubber pads on the pedals!! :)

What is the arcuate set of lights across the pod just above the speedo?

Good to see the correct rubber pads on the pedals!! :)

What is the arcuate set of lights across the pod just above the speedo?
John. That is a set of LEDs that comes on as the revs increase. I have programmed it so that the outermost ones come on at 4000 rpm. Then the next along those will come on at 5500 rpm and so on. Lastly the 2 big centre ones will come on at 7500 rpm which is the shift lights. At 7700 the rev limiter will kick in. Figures above are from memory only but close enough to explain.

A revcounter is not ideal in racing because you can not keep an eye on it for ever. These light are in your peripheral view and if you have a look at my videos you will notice that I shift 99% of times at the correct speed.

Regards. Frans.

If you've got time to look at the Dashboard, you're not going fast enough. Lights are the answer for sure..
Before I secured a regular drive in a Gp 5 BMW in Aus, under Frank Gardner, in testing I was expected to lap at or within a certain margin of the lap record (depending on tyres), consistently in 5 lap bursts, one warm up lap, 3 flying and one cool down/in lap. After each session, I would be quizzed by Frank about the revs, oil pressure and temps at certain points on the circuit.
If I could not give accurate figures based on my peripheral observations of where all the analogue gauges were sitting, I would be in deep shit. Frank believed, for example, if one of his drivers could not notice the oil pressure dropped at the exit of a flat-out 5th gear corner, the driver was just a passenger, not in full control of the car. His point was that the driver should have enough capacity to drive extremely fast, use race craft for passing, lapping other cars, manage tyres, fuel, and engine.
That was before computerised data logging when the driver was the datalogger.

Before I secured a regular drive in a Gp 5 BMW in Aus, under Frank Gardner, in testing I was expected to lap at or within a certain margin of the lap record (depending on tyres), consistently in 5 lap bursts, one warm up lap, 3 flying and one cool down/in lap. After each session, I would be quizzed by Frank about the revs, oil pressure and temps at certain points on the circuit.
If I could not give accurate figures based on my peripheral observations of where all the analogue gauges were sitting, I would be in deep shit. Frank believed, for example, if one of his drivers could not notice the oil pressure dropped at the exit of a flat-out 5th gear corner, the driver was just a passenger, not in full control of the car. His point was that the driver should have enough capacity to drive extremely fast, use race craft for passing, lapping other cars, manage tyres, fuel, and engine.
That was before computerised data logging when the driver was the datalogger.
I would say that was the mark of a good competent Professional Driver. I would tend to describe myself as a barely competent amateur, therefor requiring all the help I can get..........