Trusted Renault workshop in Adelaide?

GordonD

Tadpole
Tadpole
I have a Clio Sport 172 with just under 100,000 kms on it. It hasn't had a replacement timing belt in many years. I understand its a tight fit under the bonnet, so they're hard to fit unless you know how. My Clio now has a noticeable but not alarming squealing noise at startup from high up at the belt end of the engine. It goes away after a couple of kilometres. My local mechanic is pretty good, but has no specific Renault or Clio Sport expertise, and is willing to try putting a new belt kit in it, in the hope the noise is the bearing in the tensioner. I'd prefer to have someone who has specific expertise diagnose the noise, and fit the new belt kit if that's the fix. I'm in the northern suburbs of Adelaide. Can anyone suggest a workshop that has specific expertise and experience. Not the dealer. I'm never going back there.

Make sure the kit is the full kit with pulleys, as they fail long before the belts as far as I can tell. Be very sure about that! We've used Charles St auto and they seem to know their stuff. I was very impressed with Lion Auto.

If mine were squealing and the belt were overdue, I wouldn't be game to start the engine. But that's maybe just me...

Yeah, its a bit scary every time I start it up to wonder whether today will be the day that bearing, or whatever it is, collapses. But its a problem car in that its worth less than it would cost to fix it. Fortunately I don't need to start it up very often. It was a matter of what was going to happen first. That I wouldn't need a car any more. Or that some money that's coming would arrive and I'd be able to afford another one. But the doctors have given me more time, and the lawyers have given me more delays, so it looks like I've got to do something to make sure the 172 keeps going until one or the other happens. And it is a lovely little car that I enjoy driving.

I took it to a dealer and paid them to give me a quote for what it'd cost to sort out its problems. They gave me one that was about three times the value of the car. Including thousands for air freighting a replacement power steering rack from France because, supposedly, the fluid on the workshop floor proved it was leaking and would fail imminently. Funny thing was there was no oil on my garage floor. And they returned the car to me with some parts still sitting on the workshop bench. I realised as soon as I pulled out onto the road.

My local mechanic who'd never worked on a Clio Sport before fixed stuff they'd missed in service after service. Like persistent starting problems over years that turned out to be a faulty crank position sensor. And ABS not working that was fixed with a wheel alignment. Who would have thought that the steering wheel not properly centred when the tyres were last replaced would have disabled the ABS. He said that you only had to look at the error codes stored in the car's computer and they told you what the problem was in both cases.

Last edited:
Yeah, its a bit scary every time I start it up to wonder whether today will be the day that bearing, or whatever it is, collapses. But its a problem car in that its worth less than it would cost to fix it. Fortunately I don't need to start it up very often. It was a matter of what was going to happen first. That I wouldn't need a car any more. Or that some money that's coming would arrive and I'd be able to afford another one. But the doctors have given me more time, and the lawyers have given me more delays, so it looks like I've got to do something to make sure the 172 keeps going until one or the other happens. And it is a lovely little car that I enjoy driving.
Best of luck with all that!
I took it to a dealer and paid them to give me a quote for what it'd cost to sort out its problems. They gave me one that was about three times the value of the car. Including thousands for air freighting a replacement power steering rack from France because, supposedly, the fluid on the workshop floor proved it was leaking and would fail imminently. Funny thing was there was no oil on my garage floor. And they returned the car to me with some parts still sitting on the workshop bench. I realised as soon as I pulled out onto the road.

My local mechanic who'd never worked on a Clio Sport before fixed stuff they'd missed in service after service. Like persistent starting problems over years that turned out to be a faulty crank position sensor. And ABS not working that was fixed with a wheel alignment. Who would have thought that the steering wheel not properly centred when the tyres were last replaced would have disabled the ABS. He said that you only had to look at the error codes stored in the car's computer and they told you what the problem was in both cases.
I've heard stories myself...

Sounds like a typical dealer experience …

As I said, Stuart Skinner said he doesn't do Renaults any longer.

Lion gave the impression they were only interested in cars with a Lion emblem on the front.

Dodsons indicated they had experience and expertise in putting new timing belts in Clio Sports, even to the extent of having the parts needed in stock. I booked it in. They did pretty much what I guessed would need to be done - timing belt, tensioner and water pump - and charged pretty much what I expected to pay.

The mechanic there, Daniel, can certainly talk the talk. He's enthusiastic for the brand and model, and knowledgeable. He assuring me that I was getting back a car in good condition, with even the non-functioning air conditioning looking like all it needs is a re-gas. I just wish it sounded like whatever problems the engine had were all identified and fixed. Its never sounded this rattly before.