traction avant with ID19 4 speed

collector55

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hello All Traction Avant enthusiasts. I am considering converting my 1954 11B Normale to 4 speed using the gearbox from an early ID19. I already have a gearbox modified to fit in the TA. What I am looking for is the shifter set-up. If there is one for sale, I would like to buy. Any info will be appreciated.

hit up google. I think this has been documented in the CCOCA magazines which a probably online! Mel Carey made a conversion kit I'm pretty sure. It could be duplicated or copied no doubt.

Mel Carey
hit up google. I think this has been documented in the CCOCA magazines which a probably online! Mel Carey made a conversion kit I'm pretty sure. It could be duplicated or copied no doubt.
Hello, Thanks for reply and info. I searched Mel Carey. It looks that he closed his place and started selling off his parts back in 2013. Is he still reachable? What is CCOCA? When I searched google it referred to Coca-Cola. Really. It would be great if I can buy a shifter set-up ready to install. Or, get detailed plans to put one together. Cheers

Now I know what CCOCA is. Thanks. Can anyone give me contact info for Mel Carey? Or, someone with a functioning 4 speed in a Traction Avant. Cheers

Thanks. I Hope I can get it done. I am not good at fabricating. but I will give it a try.
Maybe you can find a workshop that fabricates things and give them the excellent and detailed description of the work required that was in the article by Roger Williams? That's what I'd be doing! :)

Ian.

Hi collector55. Your use of the forum is good. Keep on answering like a conversation and you will be OK here :) We like to hear your story, good or bad news !!

Pictures are always good; you do need to reduce them in size to about 100 'things' in an editor program to be accepted ( common on most forums). There are also 'conversations' available for members to use privately. Keep an eye on that envelope up the top right near your user name so you will see one if it comes ??

I might think if someone went to the trouble to make a conversion they would not want to sell it. But you never know what comes up. I have never seen one for sale around here :mad: but possibly CCOCA have a cottage industry going. Join and ask !
good luck Jaahn

Have a 1949 Light 15 fitted with a Renault R17 engine & 4 speed transmission. Depending on your aims here, I fitted a 4 speed floor change from a Holden Trax & made up a couple of suitable cables. Very smooth changes with reverse pattern.
PM email address if this is of interest & I can send some photos.

@collector55 Where abouts in California are you? I am in Santa Ana, So Cal.
I have a 1951 11BL that I am slowly working on to convert to EV. A gearbox change will likely be in my future and I have been considering the ID19 swap as its supposed to be more robust than the original TA box.

I have a 1951 11BL that I am slowly working on to convert to EV. A gearbox change will likely be in my future and I have been considering the ID19 swap as its supposed to be more robust than the original TA box.
Hello, How can I send you a PM (private message) ?

Have a 1949 Light 15 fitted with a Renault R17 engine & 4 speed transmission. Depending on your aims here, I fitted a 4 speed floor change from a Holden Trax & made up a couple of suitable cables. Very smooth changes with reverse pattern.
Hello, How can I send you a PM ?

On top bar next to the bell 🔔 is an envelope. Click on that & start a conversation. JG.

I clicked on envelope next to bell. But it says "no conversation". I want to be able to send PM but I am don't know how. Help.

Unfortunately you can't send or receive private messages (Conversations) until you have exceeded a minimum number of posts. I have to confess I'm mot sure what that minimum is, but keep posting and you'll soon get there!

Start a new thread and post some photos of your car and the work you are doing and you'll quickly get past any "Tadpole" restrictions:)!

Last edited:
I clicked on envelope next to bell. But it says "no conversation". I want to be able to send PM but I am don't know how. Help.
I just ran into the same issue trying to message you. You should be able to hover your mouse over someones name on the left side and a window pop up with "Start Conversation". This is similar to Ringers instructions above, but skips the step of having to type someones same in to the "To" field. Your popup doesn't have the "Start conversation" button so it looks like you haven't reached the message threshold yet. Like Armidillo says, add a post with some pics of your car (as an example) and I'm sure you'll get past the requirement quickly. Its getting harder dealing with tshirt companies and all the other spammers so they have to make it a bit harder to do some activities initially.

Pete

1699307210028.png
1699307234725.png

Collector55 ;)
I do know that you need to have a small minimum of posts to get to be able to use the conversations. It was 3 before but may be more now. To stop "bots" and scammers dumping stuff on us. So keep posting as you would be close by now.

Re the article on the CCCOA site on the gear change information. I believe there is an updated article there with more information added and extra hand sketches. Compilation by Rob Little.
https://citroenclassic.org.au/wordp...s/2015/01/4-speed-conversion-for-traction.pdf
There might be other great bits of useful information on that list too !
Good luck Jaahn

Answer to Kiwipete, I am in S. San Diego county very near the border.

To All, Many Thanks for good info and links. If anyone has a working shifter for a 4 speed traction, it would be helpful to have it duplicated. I am sure there are others beside me who would be happy to buy. Cheers