Topping up Hydraulic Fluid in C5

Allen

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Yesterday I had 2 new Michelin tyres fitted by Tyrepower here in Margaret River to the front wheels of my 2011 C5. When they brought it around for me, the manager said something had happened and they could only get it to ride on it's lowest or highest suspension settings. It was down on the lowest. I got in, started the engine, pressed the "Up" button, the dash display showed the vehicle was rising, then went back to the basic default screen, and about 15 seconds later the display showed the car was back at its normal ride level, which it was. I assumed that they hadn't known how the system worked. So I drove home and all seemed well. Shortly afterwards, I got a worried phone call from the Tyrepower Manager to say they had discovered a puddle of thin oil on the garage floor where the C5 had been standing, and he thought it might be brake fluid. Checked that, but it was correct and there was no oil dripping onto the carport floor. I then noticed that there was oil all around the top of the Suspension fluid reservoir, some of which had trickled down the sides of the unit. Started the engine but there was no indication of any fault, nor was there when I pressed the "Check" button. So I assume two things. Firstly that not enough oil has been lost to cause the Citroen to get upset (or presumably it would have screamed its head off), and secondly that the guys at Tyrepower obviously didn't know how to raise or lower the suspension properly. Possibly kept their finger on the button or something causing too much oil to go back into the reservoir. Would that seem correct? But as I live 300kms south of Perth, and assuming I might have needed to top up the suspension fluid after the loss (and still might), is that possible for a local garage to do? The Citroen/Peugeot dealer says I'd have to have the car trucked up to them in Perth!!!

Hi Allen,
Below is a post by member Greg, long time Citroen enthusiast. . .

Might be worth checking around the LDS tank, you might be lucky and have only lost fluid via the cap? Maybe check with the tyre fitter to see if they were aware of the correct procedure when lifting all four wheels off the ground.

Greg said:
Hi Guys,

My advice to anyone using a two poster hoist with a C5 is to loosen the the cap on the hyd tank first.

Regardless of what you have it on the hoist for, you often don't want the suspension in high, and if you realise the pressure via the rigidity sphere, you can still have a lot of oil in the system, because the wheels are hanging.

If you put the the car back onto the ground and the cap is tight, there may be more oil trying to get back into the tank than the tank can cope with.

Two things can happen, either the tank explodes, or it blows off the pipe that takes LDS down to the power steering. It's an easy precaution to take, and stops a huge mess to clean up.

Best regards,

Greg

Cheers
Chris

Reactions: UFO
Maybe the tank has developed a small split in the seam from all the pressure and fluid rushing back in, esp if they dropped it.

Recently I had all 4 tyres done on my 2010 C5 at a large Sydney tyre place. I left the suspension on high and gave both verbal and written intructions about lowering it s-l-o-w-l-y onto the ground.

I did not, however, undo the cap. This proved to be no issue. When it was done, I checked under the bonnet and under the car before starting. When running, cycled it through the height settings, it was all good.

As far as I can see, the oil only escaped through the vent hole in the cap. No other signs of oil other than whatever dribbled down the side of the tank. Is it or is it not possible to check the fluid level by unscrewing the filler cap on the hydraulic tank? The instruction manual puts the fear of God into you about even touching it! In 9 years of owning it and many tyre changes never had a problem before.

I have Monsieur Citroen's C5 instructions in French. Diagbox is used, so it isn't expected to be done by owners..

A quick translation is-

Checking and topping up the LDS fluid
CAUTION: Check the LDS fluid with the engine cold and stopped

Remove the LDS fluid reservoir cap
Connect the diagnostic tool to the vehicle's diagnostic socket and perform a global test
Communicate with the suspension computer

Go to menu: "Depressurisation"
Follow the instructions displayed on the screen
NOTE: The depressurisation operation lasts about 3 minutes. Wait for the procedure to end.

The LDS fluid level should be between the minimum mark "a" and the maximum mark "b"
Add LDS fluid if necessary up to the maximum level "b"
Refit the LDS fluid reservoir cap once the vehicle is on its wheels

cap.jpg

There's also a caution. Translation:

IMPORTANT: If the vehicle is raised using an underbody hoist, remove the LDS fluid reservoir cap. Refit the LDS cap once the vehicle is back on its wheels.

Last edited:
Does it not need the cap to be pressurised? Or is that done only in the spheres?

This is my first hydraulic Cit, so I do not know much about them. Only had it 7 years.

For C5 and C6, all you have to do is place it at it's lowest suspension setting and ensure it's at the level of the seam in the reservoir. You then don't need the diagnostic tool. NB: It's not the same as for earlier LHM models where you check the level at maximum height.
The reservoir was originally under a slight pressure, presumably to limit evaporation. Some cars will have had the cap changed to be a vented one, but don't make that assumption and simply unscrew the cap a little before it will go through a large and rapid change in height.

The document I translated is legit, so perhaps it relates to the period when the tank was pressurised.