Tool Talk

I had a mini for quite a while, so that is why I have an AF side to the tool cabinet and socket sets.

That's a lovely looking collection of drawers to hide tools in. I find that the most useful place to keep tools is on a shadow board. You can see every one and all without having to remember which drawer holds what or read dymo labels! :wink2:

That's a lovely looking collection of drawers to hide tools in. I find that the most useful place to keep tools is on a shadow board. You can see every one and all without having to remember which drawer holds what or read dymo labels! :wink2:

The shadow board concept is great for intermittent users of tools.

For those of us who use our mechanics tools regularly, knowing where the tool is located in a toolbox/ drawer is as much second nature as cleaning tools and putting back in their appointed place after use.

And the world would be a happier place if other people who decide to use our tools would follow suit.

Not a single empty hook.... If I owned that there would either be eight 13mm spanners swinging from the hook ..... Or no damn 13 or 8mm spanners to be found (so I'd be searching through 1/2dozen cars trying to figure out where the hell they have all gone :confused: ). My 35mm socket that lives on a hook had disappeared last time I needed it. I searched for weeks.... Asked around all the family if I'd lent it too them as the 3/4" bar is gone as well. Everyone insisted they hadn't borrowed it.

So in desperation I did the only thing that works to find missing tools. I purchased a 35mm 1/2" impact socket on ebay. I found the missing socket and bar the day after the new socket arrived in the post (hiding behind the spare wheel in the range rover .... I must have thrown it in there last year as it was the closest size to "towball size" ... so I could change towballs if required while we were away).

seeya,
Shane L.

That's the only foolproof way of finding lost tools. :)

I grabbed one of those cheap ebay multi-tools recently.

attachment.php

Its a genuine honda gx35 motor with a multi-tool head. You know, its not as big a piece of shit as you'd imagine. The honda engine is a ripper (it starts ... that's all I wanted, something that would start and run when I needed it).

First impressions are .... gee's it's bloody heavy for a little brushcutter. You will need a good double shoulder harness to use it for more than a few minutes. I did try and find reviews on these ... and the only one I could find said "only the hedge trimmer is any good, its too unbalanced to use for anything else".

Yep, the motor is so heavy with the brush cutting blade fitted, your trying to lift the back and push down on the front to use it. The easy and obvious answer was to just loosen the throttle grip and harness point and slide them all the way up the shaft so you were past the balance point (note: where i have the hand throttle and hoop the harness clips into ... they are almost touching the motor, that's how heavy the 4stroke motor is).

105918d1526005068-tool-talk-brushcutter2.jpg

The accessories all work surprisingly well... the casting on the hedge trimmer and chainsaw heads look like cheap chinese shit ..... but they work ... and have proper bearings in the shafts. The brushcutter head has "japan" cast into it... and is a nice quality casting, so I'm betting it is actually made in japan.

The pole saw works quite well... but it sure isn't easy to use a saw with the extension pole in place.... But hey, it works. The hedge trimmer makes it nose heavy and awkward to use ... but hey, it works and has great reach :confused:

What more coudl you want for $380 delivered to your doorstep with 6 separate metal blades.

I'll let you know whats busted and what still works in a few years time.

seeya,
Shane L.

Attachments

• brushcutter2.jpg
    brushcutter2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 270
  • brushcutter1.jpg
    brushcutter1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 436
hope it lasts that long, Shane ...

I purchased a Honda rip off, Sanli 4 stoke mower, it has lasted for 7 years and still going strong. Not bad for a $230 wonder. The only maintenance has been a throttle cable and regular (6 monthly) oil changes.

I'm not so quick to criticize no name brand power equipment these days. :wink2:

I purchased a Honda rip off, Sanli 4 stoke mower, it has lasted for 7 years and still going strong. Not bad for a $230 wonder. The only maintenance has been a throttle cable and regular (6 monthly) oil changes.

I'm not so quick to criticize no name brand power equipment these days. :wink2:

THe motor is a genuine honda... it'll be interesting to see how the rest lasts .... :)

seeya,
Shane L.

I paid $800 for my Kawasaki brush cutter 20 years ago. I know bugger all about those type of small motors so sent it to local brand name dealer for service. cost $80 runs perfect, came with note, fuel cap leaks, didn't repair it? checked to find replacement, $45 ...bugga,
fuel cap still leaks, haven't used it much since, really wished they had just replace the cap, why not? bugga ...

have done an engine gearbox swap since ...

surprising how/when lack of confidence can strike

I paid $800 for my Kawasaki brush cutter 20 years ago. I know bugger all about those type of small motors so sent it to local brand name dealer for service. cost $80 runs perfect, came with note, fuel cap leaks, didn't repair it? checked to find replacement, $45 ...bugga,
fuel cap still leaks, haven't used it much since, really wished they had just replace the cap, why not? bugga ...

have done an engine gearbox swap since ...

surprising how/when lack of confidence can strike

I find a new carby diaphragm and possibly some fuel lines gets most 2strokes going again ...... I usually run the fuel cap slightly loose either way. If the breather in the top of the cap doesn't work properly... you'll have endless issues of it running lean and not wanting to run properly

THe motor is a genuine honda... it'll be interesting to see how the rest lasts .... :)

seeya,
Shane L.

It doesn't seem to be a Honda, for the life of me it looks like a rip off.

The "rest" is lasting quite well. Bar a throttle cable that was snagged on tree and broke the plastic handle. It now has a fully steel throttle.

The wheels are still solid and unbroken. I've replaced the blades once.

lazercut.JPG

Specs make no mention of a genuine Honda motor :wink2:

How about a KAAZ with Mitsubishi (TU26 ?) motor for $15 from a garage sale. With a new carby kit about $12 and a couple of minor fixes it starts first time, every time.

How about a KAAZ with Mitsubishi (TU26 ?) motor for $15 from a garage sale. With a new carby kit about $12 and a couple of minor fixes it starts first time, every time.

Good stuff.. I have a Kaaz straight shaft monster here. It has a 50cc 2 stroke motor. It wouldnt' start last time I tried it. I'm pretty sure there will just be surface rust covering the magneto (as there is no spark). I dont' have the tooling to pull the pulley and flywheel off to check.

seeya,
Shane L.

I also have a much larger KAAZ. Don't know the model number suffice to say that it is impossible to use without a big harness. Not really practical for edging but great for slashing, it is one very serious edger!

Last edited:
One can never have too many clamps I reckon, I've got about 30 of these Bunnings cheapies and still need more from time to time.

attachment.php

Attachments

• zzzz.jpg
    zzzz.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 589
I also have a much larger KAAZ. Don't know the model number suffice to say that it is impossible to use without a big harness. Not really practical for edging but great for slashing, it is one very serious edger!

Sounds the same as the one here .... ex-council ? Big bicycle handles .... 2stroke carby like a motorbike (big piston slides up and down)

seeya,
Shane L.

One can never have too many clamps I reckon, I've got about 30 of these Bunnings cheapies and still need more from time to time.

attachment.php

I also have that many. But you have a better than Bunnings one in there I can see. The curved f clamp. I have heaps of these I bought in Japan
Like your curved laminating :headbang: