Tool Talk

Did you spot this?
wow ... no ... I hadn't google it yet. I just saw the advert and sent him a message "I'll take it, just let me know a location and time". It would be worth that asking price in scrap metal. Its bloody heavy and all copper. I'll google it in a minute and see if I can find a manual.

I must admit I'm quite concerned about how he insisted it was onlly good for really thick metal. So I went through the stuff with it. A new bag of 1.2mm tips (that I later found didn't fit the welder :clown: ) and 3 brand new rolls of 5kg 1.2mm gasless wire ....

The wire is worth what I paid for the welder :eek: Damn, those 3 rolls of crappy gasless wire are worth $240.00. anyway, I flipped the wire feed roller over, and it seems drive the 0.8mm wire I already have fine. However .... Why is my roll of 0.8mm wire that has always been kept in my shed ..... rusty as buggery.

So I fed the rusty, 0.8mm wire into the welder, flipped the polarity over to gas. and hilariously found the tips for my little 25year old ryobi welder fit it perfectly.

20240408_195246.jpg

so I searched the shed for a challenge..... Hmm... a rusted off ID19 downpip. Its gone black and opened a hole with a wire brushed it.

20240408_195810.jpg

So rusty 0.8mm wire (not 0.6mm wire like the little ryobi is running) .... and look at that. bloody incredible. Yes, you can onlyl do "tacks" at thihs thichkess with any welder.

20240408_195825.jpg

even toward the end where its microns thick ... I could have booger welded it up and built up the metal if I'd tried.

This thing is bloody incredible. I couldn't be happier with it.

Attachments

• 20240408_195821.jpg
    20240408_195821.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 13
There are so many sites pretending to have the manual for that thing - but they don't or are a scam. It's like looking for car manuals.

After using my mate's cordless 1/2" impact gun, I figured I'd pick a Cheap Charlie one up off EBay and see how it goes.
It's a no name thing, 18V, and came with 2 batteries and a charger for $50 delivered.
The battery is a copy of a Makita, so replacements are readily available.
I'm not working on anything just at the moment, so I went around the property with a hand full of sockets rattling wheel nuts off and on, on various vehicles. It could do that task no problem.
The specs claim "1000 Nm of torque", but I'd take that with a grain of salt.
The 24V batteries out my cordless grass trimmer also fit it and seem to work fine. Although the "24V" trimmer batteries are only 19.4V on the multimeter, the same as the 18V batteries read, that came with the gun.🙄
Bloody Chinese.🤦‍♂️

Resized_20240409_135843.jpeg

After using my mate's cordless 1/2" impact gun, I figured I'd pick a Cheap Charlie one up off EBay and see how it goes.
It's a no name thing, 18V, and came with 2 batteries and a charger for $50 delivered.
The battery is a copy of a Makita, so replacements are readily available.
I'm not working on anything just at the moment, so I went around the property with a hand full of sockets rattling wheel nuts off and on, on various vehicles. It could do that task no problem.
The specs claim "1000 Nm of torque", but I'd take that with a grain of salt.
The 24V batteries out my cordless grass trimmer also fit it and seem to work fine. Although the "24V" trimmer batteries are only 19.4V on the multimeter, the same as the 18V batteries read, that came with the gun.🙄
Bloody Chinese.🤦‍♂️

View attachment 239684

They seem to work ok, where the fastener if firmly affixed. Its a high speed vibration almost. You need a proper rattle gun if anything is really tight ... or isn't firmly held (eg: a crank pulley nut, or a nut/bolt where the bolt can move slightly). They are amazing for the money right? I use my little ozito rattle gun everywhere!

I'm waiting for ozito to do a grease gun. if there no good, you just take them back and get your money back.

I'm waiting for ozito to do a grease gun.

What is the benefit of a battery operated grease gun? IS there enough benefit in power operation to justify the cost? I bet I use a lot more grease than you and I find manual grease guns just fine. I do have an air-powered setup that goes straight on a 20kg tub which I picked up cheaply but I use it only for big greasing jobs like the front end loader that has 22 nipples.

Roger

What is the benefit of a battery operated grease gun? IS there enough benefit in power operation to justify the cost? I bet I use a lot more grease than you and I find manual grease guns just fine. I do have an air-powered setup that goes straight on a 20kg tub which I picked up cheaply but I use it only for big greasing jobs like the front end loader that has 22 nipples.

Roger
I don't have decent grease gun that isn't a PITA to load and try to bleed and get working. A good manual one would be every bit as good!

Mine must be 60 plus years old. It's a lever action. You just spoon grease into it, push it down, and it works. They aren't expensive.

It looks like a current MacNaught (though I suspect it's English). At some point I put a flex hose on it. It is almost never used now.

If power is essential, here is a cheap solution (Daytona, Sydney Tools)
grease.png

I don't have decent grease gun that isn't a PITA to load and try to bleed and get working. A good manual one would be every bit as good!

There are several ways to fill a grease gun. One is cartridges, which are expensive but convenient and fine for occasional use. Another is to buy a small pot of grease and spoon it into the gun, as seasink does. Messy but it works, though you can end up with air pockets. The old metal Castrol 5kg grease tins used to come with a tin follower plate that allowed you to push the grease gun barrel down on the plate and fill it with grease quite easily, and I don't know whether newer 5lg tubs have a similar feature. I use a grease pump on a 20kg tub and pump it straight into my manual guns through the nipple on the head of the gun. It and the air powered pump and gun have big follower plates.

Roger

i have an old air powered one that works when you eventually get it bled thorugh after changing the catridge. the cartridges are cheaper than tubs of grease these days. I should probably buy a decent manual gun. I was only thinking ozito as I can take it back if its to hard to fill and use and get my money back :)

Pay the hundred and something for a Macnasught K29 flexigun. It will last you forever.

I might even have a spare one I would give you. I have a few grease guns lying around. Just put a seal kit in it and a new coupler and away you go.

Roger

Pay the hundred and something for a Macnasught K29 flexigun. It will last you forever.

I might even have a spare one I would give you. I have a few grease guns lying around. Just put a seal kit in it and a new coupler and away you go.

Roger
the reviews look good on them

I gave up using a pistol grip model. The lever type was easier. (Now it's unused too with modern cars)

The pistol grip with flexible hose gets into nooks and crannies better than the type with a long lever. I have one of those too, with a rigid delivery tube, and it does pump a bit harder, but it needs two hands to operate and sometimes you don't have a spare hand. The levergun pumps more grease per stroke than the flexigun.

The other thing that is handy, particuarly with worn nipples, is a locking coupler. I usually run a conventional coupler on the flexigun and a locking coupler on the levergun.

Roger

The A30 has two grease nipples that you need a drone to get to.
Does anyone one make a drone guided grease gun hose?

My arsenal is:

Grease guns and pumps:
Flexigun with pistol grip and flexible delivery hose
Levergun with long rigid, slightly angled delivery pipe
Minilube (fits on 5kg tub, hand pump to pressurise tub, pistol grip handpiece with short straighish delivery tube, squeeze tirrger to pump grease a bit like Flexigun but the handpiece is shorter and more compact)
Powerlube (fits on 20kg tin, powered by air compressor, similar handpiece to Minilube but pumps grease while you squeeze the trigger, has a nifty double-jointed shoulder to help get into nooks and crannies)
Grease pump (fits on 20kg tin, pumps grease straight into Flexigun and Levergun through the filling nipples in their heads)

Fittings:
Normal couplers
Locking coupler
Right angle adapter (nipple to coupler, now that does let you get into tight spots)
Grease nipple soldered to veterinary needle (for greasing inside rubber boots such as DS rear suspension)

Roger