Tool Talk

Not only tractors, all kinds of interesting machinery. That log holds a marvelous collection of vintage chainsaws. I recognise a few legendary Stihls: Contra, 090, 07, 076, 051, 041, plus a few others I can't identify quickly. Also some McCullochs, Husqvarnas and a few others.

Shane, my Stihl 076 is gruntier than that Jonsered.

Roger

That yellow mower in the foreground of the last photo is a Bamford wizzler, possibly the first rotary drum hay mower. We had a contractor cut our hay with one in 1968 when our sickle bar mower could not handle the crop.

Roger

DSC00303a.JPG

similar animal 'Mobilco' in action at the Skipton cemetery paddock last year, ancient tractor as well...
Bob

Just sit it next to the others .... if she asks just say 'oh that's been there for 30years' ..... :)
I said that to Mrs G when I first started building that James motorcycle last year.
She believed me, (even though I only bought it last year).🤫🤣

I said that to Mrs G when I first started building that James motorcycle last year.
She believed me, (even though I only bought it last year).🤫🤣
If they are all the same colour, they may struggle to tell them apart, whether its tools, toys, instrument or whatever

If they are all the same colour, they may struggle to tell them apart, whether its tools, toys, instrument or whatever
The main thing ... don't buy shiny and new ... especially if it has boxes it comes in. old crap in the shed .... well to boss women is just old crap in the shed that should probably be thrown away. As long as the "old crap" you buys matches the "old crap" already there, you should be fine :)

Put a quick uneven coat of matt black on it and drop it in the dirt while still wet. Then 'refurbish' it... :cool: :geek: :D

Shane, my Stihl 076 is gruntier than that Jonsered.

Roger

Oh gee's... Ok, hey Bob, go grab this from FB marketplace and post some piccies of it for Roger :D

You will win the "big boys" stakes for now :dance:

Reactions: bob
Oh gee's... Ok, hey Bob, go grab this from FB marketplace and post some piccies of it for Roger :D

You will win the "big boys" stakes for now :dance:

... until I fire up the Mobilco Big Ten my father bought new in 1966.

Roger

never heard of them.

looks to be direct drive ... with a lot of chain speed ... that would be fun to use for an extended period of time 😬

Fun? Er, no. It weighs 30 pounds. No anti-vibration handles, no automatic oiling, no chain brake. But it does cut! These days I use the Stihl 076 for heavy work, it is still quite grunty and is much more comfortable to use.

My father once told me that when he was chainsaw shopping the Stihl dealer showed him how much lighter the Stihl saws were than the Big Ten Mobilco, but he didn't pay much attention to that argument. I think he wished he had bought a Stihl back then.

Roger

Pah - softwood!

I do like the expansion chamber - wonder how much extra power it extracts?
Didn't it sound nice. Did they scare up the expansion chamber exhaust from a motorcross bike :) Interesting that those races included starting the saw. The saws ability to instantly start and go to full throttle would be what drives competition I imagine.

Fun? Er, no. It weighs 30 pounds. No anti-vibration handles, no automatic oiling, no chain brake. But it does cut! These days I use the Stihl 076 for heavy work, it is still quite grunty and is much more comfortable to use.

My father once told me that when he was chainsaw shopping the Stihl dealer showed him how much lighter the Stihl saws were than the Big Ten Mobilco, but he didn't pay much attention to that argument. I think he wished he had bought a Stihl back then.

Roger

You stihl probably has a lot more real world, usable power than the old dinosaur either way. That is really just a fascinating museum/collector piece. I couldn't imagine trying to fell or climb over downed trees, trying to cut with it.

That is pretty slow watch theses guys.

The Australian record

The one I put up was mistitled as a "hot saw", it is a modified standard saw, that's how come he did so many cuts.
A hot saw can only run full power for a few seconds before seizing up, hence the 3 cuts.

Reactions: COL
The one I put up was mistitled as a "hot saw", it is a modified standard saw, that's how come he did so many cuts.
A hot saw can only run full power for a few seconds before seizing up, hence the 3 cuts.
Its not just the speed of these things its the accuracy, three complete cookies cut from 150mm width of timber.

Customer service counts....
during last week I rang a few places and emailed others etc.... Just looking for a new trailer, the only mob that wanted to talk to me were Lyal Eales....
8x5-600.jpg

so they got the money.... :)
8x5 600mm cage, wysiwyg, no options stuffing about. Seeing as VicRoads are now getting anal about 6x4 and questioning the tare mass the little ones are getting pointless - just get what you really want and pay the rego each year [unless you are part of an elite group.....]
Rides really well and no rattles 'n bangs like the rusty old one, 'cept of course, as usual, the bloody indicators are reversed - which will be my fault of course despite me having nothing to do with wiring of trailer or Kangoo [dealer tow bar install].
aaah "Bigman Trailer"....
Bob

Last edited: