To buy or not to buy

Yankee Aussie

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hello.
I am interested in buying a Peugeot 3008 and found a 2011 Peugeot 3008 XSE 2.0 HDi automatic that’s under $8,000. I’m looking for fuel efficient and reliable vehicle as I travel almost 90 kms daily for work and live in a rural area. Safety is important to me. I may have to tow a small caravan occasionally. I don’t want a vehicle that is going to drain me dry as I have a family to support.
I would really appreciate your advice on this vehicle and any other vehicles that may be a good or better alternative. Thank you in advance.

I can't tell you much about the car, but that date would give it the DW10C 2.0 diesel. You can check from the VIN - letters 6-7-8 would be RHH. This is one of the most reliable diesel engines on the road, and too early to need Adblue. The engine is responsive and with high torque. The automatic is usually the Japanese Aisin 6 speed, a very well matched combination. That transmission has many users around the world including Lexus and Cadillac.

If you travel long distances this is ideal. It will try to sit at maximum engine torque, about 2000 rpm, all day, making a very relaxed drive. It also has more than enough acceleration. It is used in the much admired Citroen C5 X7. The combination also shows up in Ford Mondeo and some Volvo models.

Check the towing loads, particularly vertical, on the tow bar. Euro car suspensions aren't always built for stability with for heavy vans and large trailers. Light loads are generally OK. I have seen several tons behind a Citroen, but it needed slow driving.

I checked the 3008 spec sheet. It tows 1500 kg, so should be good for a light van, but vertical ball load isn't mentioned in that document.

All of which suggests you can buy a tow bar for it and have somebody connect a trailer lighting system. I suspect both may prove elusive.
Nobody has commented on WHO will be doing the servicing and WHERE. That would be a major consideration in any purchase.
These pages are rich with stories of people who have suffered at the hands of not knowledgeable "service" people. If economy of operation is ( as stated ) a real consideration, I would advise sticking with a more mainstream manufacturer.

Yeah, I was going to suggest the same but refrained until you said it. Unfortunately even mainstream cars can be botched by mainstream repairers in major cities. Ask me how I know.

I guess the moral is, be lucky.

The OP hasn't said where he is in NSW. I doubt he is remote far west. We know that dealers are thin on the ground, though it's much better in NSW than elsewhere. Peugeots are quite common here.

There is nothing about a 3008 suspension that is unconventional. Any mechanic can fix them. The engine is extremely reliable, and easily self-serviceable for regular things. It is as I mentioned, also found in other makes (courtesy of engine swapping agreements) associated with Ford, who are everywhere.

Transmissions from Aisin give little trouble, but at least the AM6 (alias TF-80SC) isn't all that rare thanks to so many manufacturers. Many of us buy fluid from Toyota places.

The main thing that can confuse local mechanics is the number of Peugeot-specific OBD error codes that many of their readers cannot interpret. You can't assume that Toyota or Ford use the same meaning for a code value. There are plenty of people here who can interpret the codes, if asked, even without Diagbox software.

And for Peugeot we have excellent non-dealer, much better priced, parts and consumables sources, which make our cars very much cheaper to run than most makes, certainly Japanese makes. Most things are a same day or overnight courier away (EAI, Dapco, AA etc). Even Estonian online ordered stuff is only a week or so away.

It's to be a rural car, not an urban shopping trolley, so DPF filter regeneration won't be a problem. Unlike Toyota etc, the PSA French system actually works. For proof, run your fingers through my RHH tail pipe and they will come away absolutely clean, even though it's a suburban car.

Aisin 6 speed needs to be looked after, sealed for life, I do not think so. I know its it's not I have one. Manageable with oil changes.

That's true of all auto boxes. Fluid doesn't stay in excellent condition forever.

So when should I start thinking about changing the transmission fluid in my 2015 308? Can I do it myself without too much difficulty?

I recommed 50K km but I do it almost yearly. This is to try and prolong the auto as I got it third hand with 200k on it already.

I'm a 40 to 50 thousand km person. If it comes out dark or damaged then shorten the next interval. Draining is easy but refilling in most models means removing stuff over the transmission to access the fill point. The aim is to preserve the internal clutch system.

We are getting away from Yankee Aussie's request. The most likely fault seen in this and indeed most auto transmissions as they age are the hydraulic system's solenoid valves located in the block in front of the box wearing. These are readily available and easily refitted.

Last edited:
You'll enjoy the drive to work if the traffic isn't troublesome. The engine/transmission combination sits close to max torque at all speeds and almost drives itself with little pedal work needed.

Regeneration of the particle filter requires a long run at completely steady moderate speed. It doesn't have to be spirited and shouldn't be slow. The computer has to believe you are on an open road, not in traffic or urban, to start the job, because very hot gas and nasties come out the back. Do this drive every so often (it might be the work run) and you'll never see the filter clogging warning. During regeneration the fuelling and injection pattern changes and the exhaust becomes extremely hot, which with the aid of the catalyst deposited on the ceramic filter oxidises the soot into carbon dioxide mostly. A catalyst tank (underneath, next to the left rear wheel) lasts roughly 160,000 km before needing a refill. It gets injected from there into the fuel tank when you refuel. It is possible to have a computer forced regeneration of a stationary car, outside, away from vegetation. It isn't pretty.

Your car should have had a timing belt change based on age, whatever the kays. Check that if you have the service book.

Last edited:
Reactions: con
Regeneration of the particle filter requires a long run at completely steady moderate speed.
Is twenty minutes at 100km/h adequate or should I take dad's 308 out for a longer burn?

I usually do a regular run along one of our motorways, off peak, for about 20 minutes, at round about 90 kph using cruise control. It does the trick. I don't get the message. It possibly could be shorter. I also do another shorter trip on an 80 kph road every couple of weeks. One of these gets the regen, depending on the pressure difference that the computer looks for.

You'll enjoy the drive to work if the traffic isn't troublesome. The engine/transmission combination sits close to max torque at all speeds and almost drives itself with little pedal work needed.

Regeneration of the particle filter requires a long run at completely steady moderate speed. It doesn't have to be spirited and shouldn't be slow. The computer has to believe you are on an open road, not in traffic or urban, to start the job, because very hot gas and nasties come out the back. Do this drive every so often (it might be the work run) and you'll never see the filter clogging warning. During regeneration the fuelling and injection pattern changes and the exhaust becomes extremely hot, which with the aid of the catalyst deposited on the ceramic filter oxidises the soot into carbon dioxide mostly. A catalyst tank (underneath, next to the left rear wheel) lasts roughly 160,000 km before needing a refill. It gets injected from there into the fuel tank when you refuel. It is possible to have a computer forced regeneration of a stationary car, outside, away from vegetation. It isn't pretty.

Your car should have had a timing belt change based on age, whatever the kays. Check that if you have the service book.
I will check. Thank you, you have been so helpful. I really appreciate it.