Tinted R12

JohnW:
You're all unkind!

The R12 is a much better practical vehicle than many people recognise. Bullet proof, reliable, comfortable, cheap, strong, easy to work on, comfortable, some French character and styling that doesn't look as old as it is.

Like for the 16, I reckon people should accept how well they did (and do) what they were designed for, and then remember what they evolved into (R15, R17, Fuego etc). And then there are all the Brasilian variants...

JohnW
i adore them but i think you forgot to mention that they are sometimes bloody expensive on parts and (if you employ someone else) to fix

"Expensive parts?"

Have you been introduced to the various suppliers in Melbourne? I'm always surprised (on the infrequent occasions when parts are actually needed) at how inexpensive they are. Now I know you can buy red motor Holden water pumps for $20, but apart from that sort of thing, the comparisons are OK.

This isn't the place for me to advertise, but there are several suppliers, and prices are not bad at all.

Our Virage has needed one clutch, one water pump, one set of rear wheel bearings and one set of front suspension ball joints in the 9 years we've owned it. Oh, and one set of CV boots. All were the first time these had been replaced. Total cost of that lot (parts) would be well under $1,000. We've probably paid $2,000 for the associated labour and, I'd guess, the car has depreciated about $1,500 in 9 years.

It helps to buy a good one to start with. Odd engine "things" to do with liners and head gaskets can get expensive with the wrong mechanic, who maybe doesn't know the cars. But really they aren't bad, cost-wise.

JohnW

I admit to raising the R12 chickmagnet theory...I dunno but maybe it's just my good looks. No offence intended to the plainer frogs who have posted on this thread.

On the other hand I borrowed a mates souped up 10 while BogBrat was commandeering my 12 as a Lada replacement (head gasket and clutch problems...then he had to get around to robbing a bank to pay for the repairs).

I can unequivocally proclaim that the 10 is a magnet...for chicks of a certain age....somewhat greater than that of the 10.

Strange but true.

My plan is to buy up 10's paint them up in suitably lairy colours add wide wheels and a hot dog muffler and corner the market in nursing homes all over the ACT and southern NSW.

mallet a_drink

<small>[ 15 January 2003, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: BogMaster ]</small>

Bog, would it be fair to say that the chicks attracted by your R10 are somwhat older than the R10?

Ren
cheers!

It was bizarre but the old boilers at work kept coming up and making flattering remarks about the car...."cute...amazing...etc" ..the sort of things they say about me when I'm driving the 12 really. cheers!

<small>[ 16 January 2003, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: BogMaster ]</small>