Timing Belt 306

Have a look here to see the results of a snapped belt in a 16V Xantia.

<a href="http://www.citroencarclub.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122" target="_blank">Xantia Bent Valves</a>

Not at all nice eek!

Paul

I'm getting the water pump changed. That's included in the cost as well as this is a must do.

I really love my car!! :rolleyes:

Dr. 306:
I'm getting the water pump changed. That's included in the cost as well as this is a must do.

I really love my car!! :rolleyes:
contrary to popular belief the water pump is not a must do
i'll admit i am talking about the XU10J4RS engine
i have spoken to many people about this and most have told me that the addage of you MUST change the water pump when you do a timing belt is a load of bull
only change it if it is weeping
water pumps are known to last a very long time in the 306's if everything has been looked after nicely
i went through all of this a while ago and went through just about every avenue known to man to get all the info i could get on the topic :D

well i just got my water pump and cam belt change 4 weeks ago,it cost me $650 all up,that was the 2nd time that i change it the first at 40,000,the people that do my car say that its best to change it every 40,000kms

The S16/Mi-16 S2 rebuild by a shop is about $2500 total, othe few who have toolage and knowledge is much cheaper.

This assuming that when and if the belt does go, only the valves bend...... its your choice, risk it or fix it.
I know id rather pay $450 >> $800(with major service) than $2500... - chris

Just on timeing belts is there any special tools required on pugs to change them.

Mine will be due in about 2000k and thinking of doing the bottom crank seal while im there too as well as the tensioner

Any advice will be great, Thanks.

immy s16:
Just on timeing belts is there any special tools required on pugs to change them.

Mine will be due in about 2000k and thinking of doing the bottom crank seal while im there too as well as the tensioner

Any advice will be great, Thanks.
The Hayne's manual for the 306 states a special tool is needed to tension the belt. SEEM C.TRONIC type 105 belt tensioning measuring tool. It shows a manual way to do it, but recommends to check the tension at the dealer so they can check it with the tool to make sure its correct.

hi guys,theres a lot of info in this thread and some of what i say may have been said already so forgive me please.i change up to three cam belt a week on pugs,twin cams,single 8 valves 16 valves,and 406 v6.im not trying to boast,just giving you an idea of what ive seen.in the early days i just changed belts,then i started to get water pumps leak at approx 20k or less after changing the cam belt.the customer is less than impressed and i wear the labour to do it again with a pump change.so now i change the water pump every time.the cam belt tensioners are getting to be a problem also in the bearings,ive had two 16v engines had to go back to the dealer after belts done by them had not had the rollers changed,one flipped the belt and bent 8 valves the other just got caught.the 16v 405 rollers are 200.00 dollars each so its getting costly to own a 405 16 v.as said also the serp belts crack so i end up changing them too.all up it is cam belt,rollers,water pump,and serp belt.bloody costly but cheaper than rebuild,if you do it yourself and stuff up its your fault. professional shop have to make sure its good for another 80k or four years.and yes it is whichever comes up first,no ifs or buts.ive pulled out cam belt 6 years old but only done 40k and they are stretched badly,in the twin cams they can whip over the teeth and skip a tooth.usually the first water pump thats been running pug coolant already has a stalagtite running out the bottom and wet base,so be carefull.with so many second hand pug now needing belt changes,records are a real issuee now so keep a good record of when its done.i write it in the engine bay on the shocker tower with a paint pen and in the books as a back up.sorry if ive raved on and repeated whats already been said.just quickly the crank pulley with rubber harmonics are spinng on the hubs also so paint mark them when you change a belt and check after a couple of days running if you are not sure at the time.hth :p