Ticking noise on 504

Ralph

Fellow Frogger
When I go around a roundabout or a RH corner slowly, there is a quite pronounced ticking noise coming from what I think is the RR wheel. Is this a CV joint? It sounds like one as I've heard it coming from a Mini I used to own which had crook CV's. How much to fix roughly and how difficult?

Cheers,

Ralph.

:)

Ralph:
When I go around a roundabout or a RH corner slowly, there is a quite pronounced ticking noise coming from what I think is the RR wheel. Is this a CV joint? It sounds like one as I've heard it coming from a Mini I used to own which had crook CV's. How much to fix roughly and how difficult?

Cheers,

Ralph.

:)
If this is on a 504, then there's a few things I can think of, which can cause such noises:

-brake pad holding clip rattling back and forth
-centre hubcap holding nut rattling around on cars fitted with original steel wheels, but without hubcaps.
-CV joint as you said (probably a very rare problem on 504s, since I've never known one to get rattly, even the one I drove around for a couple of years with a broken rubber boot and most of the grease gone. When I pulled it out to replace it, there was still no play. Amazing!!!)

You also get a noisy rattly sound in certain situations when the rubbers for the rear cross member mounts get loose, but that's not really a "ticking" noise.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

It's not the spring clip holding the pads firm, it's not the centre nut as it has mag wheels. Must be the cv's. What did they cost you when you replaced them?

Cheers,

Ralph.

just wondering have you jacked up that side of the car and checked for play in the rear wheel ?
i had a similar problem once with a car that had the axle nut coming loose
not by much though but enough to create a slight noise when going around a corner at slow speed
in all my experience with IRS pugs i have never known a CV to fail through normal wear and tear
i have onlt ever seen one fail with a similar thing that happened to dave with one running dry
mind you the bloke that ran that car drove it for a long time before doing something about it

I have replaced rear wheel bearings on one of the many 504's I've had. It was more of a rumbling noise in mine however, but combined with a loose hub nut...?? As for driveshafts, I agree with the others - indestructible.
I've had problems with wheel nuts not holding tight as a result of damage to them caused by rattle guns at tyre shops.

Ralph:
Must be the cv's. What did they cost you when you replaced them?
ZERO! I had a couple of good second hand driveshafts lying around, so I just used one of those. I didn't change it because of the CV, but because the wheel bearing had failed and I just wacked in another whole hub and driveshaft that I had lying around.

The rubber boots for the CV's cost about $55 each, or more. I bought 4 a few years back, but have never bothered fitting them, because of the second hand shafts I have around. It's a bit like the rear caliper kit I bought, and the 505 speedo cable I bought the other day (found a good second hand one next to the shed, when I got home -bummer!) I'll use them all one day.

Dave