Thunderbirds GO!!!!

a monthly type meeting sounds like a good idea
good to have a bit of a chat so long as we try to remember that if we learn anything motor car wise that one of us stick it on the board so others can benefit as that is what we are all here for
damn trout though lol

my ICQ is 194934 and no it isn't missing any digits :D

Pugrambo, you must be one of the first on icq!! such a low number, i remember laughing at my friend when he i saw his little flower on his pc!

i actually still know a friend of mine that has a lower number than what i have

anyway i got my router up and going today using freesco
the machine cost basically nothing and the software is free off the net
the net is running quicker through the router
so much better than going out and spending $300+ for the same thing in a shop
all you need is a 486 machine with around 16mb ram
once running you don't need a monitor or keyboard for it
hell you don't even need a hdd in it just a flopy drive, modem, and nic

re: routers and all, I cheated. Only two machines that needed a connection, (one of which only gets used rarely), so I just ordered a sub-account from Telstra :)

for the figure of $11 a month (paid for by work anyway) it allows me to put off the "internet sharing router project" indefinitely :p

I just threw out a couple of old 486s recently as well, I didn't consider them to have much of a use at the time ...

I've been using ICS on Windows XP Pro with my ADSL modem attached directly to the switch. Seems to work OK for my little LAN.

My only problem with using old PC's as routers is the size and noise of them! But definitely a cheap way out of buying a router...