Things I would like to thank the CX designers for

UFO said:
Yeah but in the long run, you're still only driving a Renault!:trouslap::joker:

As opposed to a Peugeot...

It should also be noted that the operative words in your sentence are 'long run'...something a Citwrong will never see...

I'll head back to my side of the pit now.... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Got the hand bags out again I see?? and there was me thinking Renault was an anagram of Toilet!!! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: john s

Hi Guys,

I re-assembled the alternator last night after desoldering all the rectrifier diodes and testing them (all tested good), testing the windings back to earth and each other (tested good), re-soldering the rectifier and installing new brushes into the regulator (I'm NEVER doing that again unless I have to, what a b@stard of a job).

I thought I better bench test it before it's re-installed. Hooked the earth upto the frame of the alternator back to a battery with a jumper lead. Hooked the live terminal of the battery down the to '+' output of the rectifier. Hooked the spade terminal (exciter) on the regulator and touched it to the '+' of the battery. Spinning the alternator with my drill shows ........ nothing :confused: :confused: I'm sure I've got it hooked up wrong somehow. Maybe I need the idiot light in the exicter wire. I'll try that tonight.

Anyone else here ever tried to bench test an alternator :confused:

seeya,
Shane L.

I spent a little time today. Normally to seperate the gearbox you undo about 1/2dozen bolts, whip the camshaft carrier bearing off and drop them apart.

Now whip the camshaft bearing off ..... Yeah..... It appears some b@stard has welded it to the camshaft. I told this is quite common with cars in the UK (certainly I've never struck this before :mad: ).

Thank god for MIG welders and drop saws.... It finally let go with an almighty bang.

Now to make up a press tool to remove the driveshaft intermediate bearing.

seeya,
Shane L.

Attachments

• campuller.jpg
    campuller.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 268
  • cambearing.jpg
    cambearing.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 221
Spent another hours or so on the car last night.

I've given up on trying to remove the driveshaft intermediate bearing. I'll either cut it off with an angle grinder, or whip upto my uncles and have him heat it with an oxy to remove. I simply can't be bothered making up a big puller to remove this bearing.

Onto the radiator fans, one of them has a noisy bearing. On pulling them apart I found 4 massive brushes that looked brand new, the commentator looks brand new ... I damaged the soft front alloy housing getting the bearing out ... (grrrr). The front bearing is just dry, the rest of the fan is as good as the day it left the factory (the rear bearing being a brass bush).

Jobs for today:

lunch hour... Order in/buy:

--1 x spigot bearing
--1 x camshaft carrier bearing
--1 x driveshaft intermediate bearing
--2 x front fan bearings

There going to love me up at the bearing place.... I can already hear them "bloody metric bearings ... what the hell are these out of :mad: " .... Oh a Sightrone ..... that explains it, grumble ... mummble....groan..... Seriously though, the people at these places are usually really helpful.

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Spent another hours or so on the car last night.

I've given up on trying to remove the driveshaft intermediate bearing. I'll either cut it off with an angle grinder, or whip upto my uncles and have him heat it with an oxy to remove. I simply can't be bothered making up a big puller to remove this bearing.

They are a bugger to get off from the XM as well, although I had the "advantage" that all that was left was the inner race and we basically chiselled it till it split. Sourced a new bearing from the local BSC and a retaining collar from another bearing place. I think the collar cost about $4.50. Cool! The bearing was less than $35.

Whip it out, he said, WHIP it out :whip: :mallet:

Not that I can talk, my job for tonight is to check the timing on one of my cams, then probably take the front off the engine again to correct it, little white marks be damned :cussing: Why is nothing ever easy?

Chris

chris said:
Whip it out, he said, WHIP it out :whip: :mallet:

Not that I can talk, my job for tonight is to check the timing on one of my cams, then probably take the front off the engine again to correct it, little white marks be damned :cussing: Why is nothing ever easy?

Chris

Hi Chris,

There should be datum marks cast into the pulleys. Careful you have the right belts. Carefully count the teeth on the previous belt and the new belt. I seem to recall there being to different lengths of GS cambelts (the difference only being 1 or 2 teeth :eek: ).

UFO, yeah apparantly the the intermediate driveshaft bearing is usually easy to get off (yeah right :rolleyes: I just got a driveshaft place to heat it last time and it fell off). Usually you can just bash it down the shaft with a hammer (it'll move the retaining ring with it). However this car is "The Difficult One" that spent it's younger years breathing the salt laden air ... or should I say snow of the UK. This means everything I try to remove appears to be welded together (good example :confused: I've never had a problem removing a camshaft bearing before !!! Yet on this bloody car I had to make a puller :mad: ).

seeya,
Shane L.

mistareno said:
As opposed to a Peugeot...

It should also be noted that the operative words in your sentence are 'long run'...something a Citwrong will never see...

I'll head back to my side of the pit now.... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Actually the Renault Fuego and CX are quite similar.

They both have a lot of weight on the front wheels and not much on the rear. Obviously this means they both love a bit of understeer (though can both oversteer with severe provacation).

The actually share the Fuego motor. The CX athena had the Renault Fuego engine installed. The positives being:

a) it's lighter -- better handling
b) it's more effecient

Negatives:

a) it's not as long lasting as the old Cit engine
b) it's not as powerful as the old cast iron lump fitted to the CX.

The Fuego my brother and cousin used to own were absolutely thrashed to within an inch of there lives. It wasn't uncommon to hear my brothers fuego backing down the drive running on full choke. Then hear a couple of revs to get the auto-choke off at the end of the drive, followed by running it out to it's redline through the gears.

It took this punishment for years, and appeared to actually run and drive better the harder it was thrashed. What ended up killing it was the sump plug not being tightened after an oil change. It seized like a b@stard as he continued to try a drive it a few blocks to my parents place with the oil pressure light on.

If they could get a Fuego to drive as well as a CX, have the interior space and comfort and power of a CX I'd *almost* be interested :roflmao: :roflmao: Even the Feugo turbo's were nothing flash, barely if any quicker than the 2litres we got out here.

BTW: Mista Renault, do you want another Fuego, my parents are threatening to ring up the "free cars taken away" adds in the paper which means the Fuego will go through a crusher. It's got a good straight body that looks really bad 'cos it's been sitting in the weather for a few years. It's definatly a parts car unless your extremely ambitious.

seeya,
Shane L.

UFO said:
They are a bugger to get off from the XM as well, although I had the "advantage" that all that was left was the inner race and we basically chiselled it till it split. Sourced a new bearing from the local BSC and a retaining collar from another bearing place. I think the collar cost about $4.50. Cool! The bearing was less than $35.

I'm stunned:

intermediate bearing for driveshaft
camshaft bearing
spigot bearing
two fan bearings (all sealed roller bearings)

Total: $39bux all up :headbang: :headbang: Gee's there nice 'n' cheap. He had every bearing on the shelf and it only took him about 3minutes to get them all. There SKF and made in France.

seeya,
Shane L.