theft of an MI16

Ray Bell:

Whatever might happen with other cars, air or magnets, they won't work with the very direct function of the French setup, it's great as long as nothing goes wrong with it.
!
Yeah, 504 steering locks are total bastards when the key barrel eventually decides to malfunction, because you can't remove them without being able to turn the key to the removal position so that you can then insert the correct size pin in the side to push the barrel retaining button to remove the barrel.

I've spoken to atleast one person who had to resort to drilling down the guts of the barrel, so that he could then use a screwdriver to turn the barrel, in order to dissable the steering lock, so that he could then just hotwire it and drive it.

I've been tempted to pull my ignition barrel out while it still works and remove the steering lock parts, so I never have to worry about such things.

Dave

<small>[ 08 August 2003, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>

I once took a complete steering column from a Fuego with the ignition barrel in it (its owner had her handbag pinched with both sets of keys in it..) to get the locked picked and a new key cut. He was torn between being very annoyed and very impressed at french engineering because it took him 4 hours to pick it where he said most jap stuff takes 10 minutes. He was also impressed at the extra hardened steel pins inside the mechanism that prevent it being started with a screwdriver slammed into the barrel.

davemcbean:
.....I've been tempted to pull my ignition barrel out while it still works and remove the steering lock parts, so I never have to worry about such things.
I did it with my old 504 wagon. I had to get the lock out when that malfunction occurred anyway, so I cut the thing off.

I remember several times when I arrived at my parents' house in my first 404 (an imported one with steering lock) I would take the key out and coast the last little way.

Yeah, right! And that telegraph pole was right there!

Never came to any grief, but it could happen so easily... dangerous things, steering locks. Ask George Reed about his '36 Ford on Conrod Straight during the 1938 Bathurst race...

I never knew these car had this sort of feature. I guess I just assumed it had a normal one. My 505's ignition barrel was replaced with a brand new one at a Peugeot outlet around 2 years ago. Could I assume they checked/renewed all the locking stuff when they did it?

I don't trust anyone

I just take the rotor out:)

Extreme i know. Hopefully not doing to much damage.

If they want the car, they have to earn the right:)

James

<small>[ 14 August 2003, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Shobbz ]</small>

I onced cruised to my mates house and 10 meters before pulling up, I pulled out the key, I steered down his drive, the steering wheel locked and my brakes didn't work (without the ignition) Luckily the handbrake saved me before I collected his retaining wall whistle My pug stayed scratch free and I learnt a valuable lesson!

The brakes didn't work?

Of course they worked, you just needed a bit of muscle.

At times like this, remember that even with the ignition off you get vacuum if the engine's turning... slip it into gear and drop the clutch!

n b j:
I onced cruised to my mates house and 10 meters before pulling up, I pulled out the key, I steered down his drive, the steering wheel locked and my brakes didn't work (without the ignition) Luckily the handbrake saved me before I collected his retaining wall whistle My pug stayed scratch free and I learnt a valuable lesson!
I found the brakes just lock up doing that. The brakes won't release with the engine off. The steering wheel locks is normal. It's a stupid thing to do, I've done it too. hehe.

As Ray said, the brakes will work, but they need a lot more force.

According to Peugeot, the servo amplifies your braking efforts by about 6 times. For those with EBA/BAS (emergency brake assist), that goes up to 23x in an emergency stop.

To think in the old days we didn't have power boosted brakes :)

Pah, Power Assisted Brakes.

My booster Thingy has been stuffed for ages.

Real Men (possibly stupid ones) Use real muscle to stop cars:).

Something else to fix.

James

I used to coast down hills to save gas, on long down hill slopes I'd turn the ignition of. I did it once with all the family on board and locked the steering, freaked me right out. scary scary scary gave that practice a big miss. her name was Belinda regards, cane toad

cane toad:
I used to coast down hills to save gas, on long down hill slopes I'd turn the ignition of. I did it once with all the family on board and locked the steering, freaked me right out. scary scary scary gave that practice a big miss. her name was Belinda regards, cane toad
i hope you now realise that coasting down hills has got to be one of the most dangerous things you can do
even with the engine running and using "angel" gear or if you are a NZ'er "maori overdrive"
in doing this you actually use more fuel than going down a hill in top gear on trailing throttle
and to top it off if something happened and you needed to get the car back into gear you have the chance of either not bieng able to get it back into gear or the time taken to put it in gear results in less time to avert a dangerous situation
this practice actually scares me whenever i hear of someone doing this and i have on occasion when i have been a passenger in a car when someone has done this either got the driver to stop the practice or got them to stop and i have removed myself from the car
i value my life a little more than the so called cost saving for fuel or mechanical wear

All of that being true, and illegal as well... I do remember a trip from Sydney to Albury for the Boxing Day race meeting.

Vehicle was a 1949 Vanguard (GD-384, actually), the bearing rattle started at 40mph.

Some of those hills around Jugiong and Gundagai were much more pleasant at 80mph... without any engine noise at all!