The scrap metal hoist thread.

20220922_171043.jpg

It sure is a shame I didn't have this 20years ago! Talk about making life easy. I chucked the garden edging on as the 407 is insanely low and scrapes all the way on

20220922_171114.jpg

I just chucked a couple of blocks of wood under the back to pickup a point that would support the car. The front has the massive alloy subframe as the insanely low point.

20220922_170913.jpg

and just like I was thinking, the ramps drop down and become your work bench. I'll do the cambelt this weekend hopefully. But it took longer to drive the car on the hoist than it took to throw a litre of eolys fluid into it.

Well now the C2 and 407 have scraped a heap of my precious/expensive yellow paint off the jacking beams .... I figured I'd better do something about it ..... (ok, ok ..... I'll be honest, I figured I'd forget to move the jacking beams out of the way and one of the hydraulic cars with get its belly/exhaust crushed at some point).

SO the boss women is already really agitated with me .... as I might have found decking oil and trailer paint for sale a ALDI yesterday and spent a couple of hundred $$$ :whistle: :whistle: .... she was most impressed :mallet::mallet::mallet:

So I figured something that costs no $$$ at all would be best.... Hmmm.... I wonder if she'll notice garden bed edging has gone missing :clown:

20221009_191144.jpg

20221009_191132.jpg

nice long ramps for a "runup" that I can move to either side.

20221009_191211.jpg

20221009_191226.jpg

The car looks to to sit quite high, even with it on "low".

20221009_191414.jpg

20221009_191436.jpg

plenty of space.... I should squish the exhaust if I use these. being shitty pine, its very light to lift off and throw outside ( back onto the garden bed even maybe :ROFLMAO: ).

So I figured before I put a crazy low "sports" car on the hoist, I better make the ramps onto it much more of a gradual climb.

20221229_173031.jpg

Forget clearance ..... Look how wide this bloody thing is! :eek:

20221229_173136.jpg

Look at that, its within about a cm of the edge of each ramp. no wonder its so tight whenever you park it in carparks! Its wider than most full sized cars.

20221229_173337.jpg

Clearance? Look at that .... waaaaaayyyy more clearance than the 407. Its also got a hugely better approach and departure angle. Why on earth is the 407 (a 4 door family car) so insanely low ??

The 407 experience is training for a non-hydraulic Cit C5 (very long nose), or a DS3 (very low). Have you had the C2 up yet?

The 407 experience is training for a non-hydraulic Cit C5 (very long nose), or a DS3 (very low). Have you had the C2 up yet?
yeah, much like the rcz, the short wheel base and small overhangs makes being low less of an issue. I've just moved the rcz onto it so I can pull the front bumper to change a parking sensor. It would be almost impossible if you couldn't get the car in the air I imagine (as you couldn't get to any fasteners underneath)

Some more scrap metal, this time masquerading as a 2 post hoist, up for grabs in Brisbane, if someone wants to do this again:

Not mine, know nothing about it.
Yes! Look at the safeties and it looks to be chain driven (which would never wear out ?). its outdoor rated by the looks of the covered motor. Go for it! $270 inc delivery for a single phase power pack.

The chequerplate access ramps are a great idea, you could probably get the hoist arms under very low cars, and you don't need to clear the base of it.