The Mystery of the P0104 error code....

Mazza

Tadpole
Tadpole
I've been chasing my tail trying to identify the cause of my P0104 error code on my 2003 307. I've cleaned the mass airflow sensor a number of times. After clearing the code, I drive it for approx 50kms and the engine light comes back on. Clear it. 50k's and it comes back on. A fairly knowledgeable mechanic told me I need to take it to a Peugeot dealership as they have more accurate software for diagnosing the exact root cause of the problem. Is this correct? Do Peugeot service depts have different software than can pinpoint the exact cause of the error code? If so, might be worth the couple of hundred bucks.

It's an electrical fault on the sensor as seen by the engine computer. Perhaps look at the whole circuit. I don't think Diagbox, the dealer software, will say much more than that. It will record a high. Plenty of AF members own a copy of Diagbox.

As well as dealers some independents could look at this, including mobiles like Revivemylion (he does a lot of diagnosis for workshops), though most are busy.

The question is why does it periodically return. Is it dirty again at each clean?

Thanks. The MAF sensor is always pretty clean before I clean it. I thought if it was an electrical issue the error light would be instant. Does the circuit carry a variable load? It takes a good few hours of running before it pops up again. That's why i thought it might be something like EGR. My car is a 2.0L petrol and the EGR is buried behind the engine. Pain in the neck to get to. So wanted to make sure before I tackle that.

And sorry about this - but the error code is P0410 NOT P0104. I never was good with numbers...

Is that the 2L EW10 engine? P0410 is a secondary air system unspecified fault. Air (ie oxygen) is pumped into the exhaust system when the engine is in its cold phase. Failure raises a warning. It can affect idling and acceleration.

The problem showed up in the forum a bit when that engine was newer. Use the DDG search box on the home page.

Yeah, that's what I get when I google it too. I was wondering what I need to do to fix it.

Start by checking if the pump works. Is the suction or outlet blocked? Does the motor draw too much?

Harder to check - is the air passage clear? (in head)

Last edited: