The flying Fuego...

Ray Bell

Fellow Frogger
Just drove the $100 Fuego from Canberra to Glenbrook... it was really a good performer. I was very happy with the flexibility of the engine and its power, something better than I'm used to.

The 50-series tyres are a drag, though, very rough ride even on the good roads.

According to the ad they are 15" 50 profiles. Actually it seems a good example of indicating how steamroller tyres and wheels may not enhance a car, and how important matching suspension and tyres can be!

I seem to remember reading a review when the Fuego was first out, saying that the suspension felt like the rims/tyre size were wrong (with the metric "13 and a bit" rims)

Dads has 14" rims, ride seems unaffected from the original metric rims...

Also, it's quieter (becuase you don't have to run the "intermediate" tyres!

:)

Originally posted by Ray Bell:
<strong>Just drove the $100 Fuego from Canberra to Glenbrook... it was really a good performer. I was very happy with the flexibility of the engine and its power, something better than I'm used to.

The 50-series tyres are a drag, though, very rough ride even on the good roads.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ray, I forgot to give you the original rims with the car - maybe you can put $1500 worth of TRXs back on the $100 car and get the ride right!

ipb :D

Speaking of ride, my '85 Fuego goes very nicely on the 14" Camira mags. :D

However, having driven an '83 Commodore until now (except the last year was a Renault 21 overseas), I miss the solid feel of the gas inserts in the Commodore's front Macperson struts and the convenience of the air adjustable rear.

I find I'm twisting a little too much in my seat around corners in the Fuego. How would gas inserts work in the Fuego and how should I go about achieving this? Worth doing?

The Gonz
[(except the last year was a Renault 21 overseas)[/QB]
Cool, me too. what sort and where? I had a R21 GTS (1.7 transverse motor) Savannah. Loved it so much I bought the 2.2 litre R21 TXE sedan I found in a wrecker and got it up and going again. Just don't tell me you had a Turbo Quadra and did'nt bring home with you or you will have to be banned for extreme sillyness.

Haakon:
The Gonz
[(except the last year was a Renault 21 overseas)
[/QB]
Mine was a 1990 2-litre R21 Savannah "estate" (=stationwagon) 7-seater. I picked it up from an Australian in the same line of work ('nuff said) who was returning. I grabbed it because it was cheap at 850 pounds and we figured we'd use the carrying space for hosting visiting relatives and dragging stuff back from Calais (we were in the UK).

I got comfortable in this car and got to enjoy the long drives across the UK and Europe - a real buzz doing incredible speeds ('nuff said) on the freeways of France! Never got a whimper out this car and sold it to a large family before returning for 700 pounds - now THAT's value!

Always thought I'd come back and buy a VT Commodore from the auctions but sure enough, there was this one little ad for a Renault in the trading post.....
and the rest is history. :D