The "dangers" of E10.

Greenpeace

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I've been coming across quite a few articles of late about the introduction of E10 into Ireland.
They are predominantly negative, but this is the best one yet.🙄
I've chucked E10 into anything and everything, but according to this article if you inadvertently fuel up with E10 you should push your car off the forecourt and immediately inform the service station staff.🤔🤷‍♂️
They have E5 over there but apparently even if your car runs OK on that, E10 might make the wheels fall off.🤣

Are there really more than 12,000 Morris Minors still getting about?

I wouldn't run it in any of my cars, thats for sure. They rubber in there fuel systems wouldn't like it. The cars aren't driven much at the moment either, so I don't really want there tanks rusting out :)

I just don't see the savings/cost benefit. though realistically I would hope any rubber lines and seals in the fuel systems on my cars would have all been replaced in the last decade, so would be enthonol "safe".

What a joke, who wrote that rubbish.
Looks like the author got confused! The expert advice was to not worry about E10 and switch to E5 next fill.
The second part was if accidentally filling a petrol vehicle with diesel fuel (or vice versa) do not start the engine!!!
Very badly written and probably accepted as truth by many readers!

I wouldn't run it in any of my cars, thats for sure. They rubber in there fuel systems wouldn't like it. The cars aren't driven much at the moment either, so I don't really want there tanks rusting out :)

I just don't see the savings/cost benefit. though realistically I would hope any rubber lines and seals in the fuel systems on my cars would have all been replaced in the last decade, so would be enthonol "safe".
Most of the new fuel hoses I've fitted start falling apart on the outside before the fuel's had a chance to stuff the inside.
They don't make em like they used to.🤷‍♂️

Why on earth would anyone use ethanol in Australia? Or anywhere? Oil is cheap and plentiful, food grade wheat used by Manildra is not and is needed in a world where food is becoming increasingly short.

Manildra's ethanol distillery is the largest in the country and distils premium ethyl alcohol into a range of grades for food, spirits, pharmaceuticals, personal care products, industrial applications and transport fuels.
Ethanol production is similar to Crude oil refining making everything from Av Gas to tar
The top end is pharmaceuticals, bottom end product is ethanol for cars.

The impetus for Manildra being set up was automotive fuel production from high grade wheat. Controversies over the PM's brother seeking government subsidies. Ethanol production was one of those dead ends resulting from peak oil scares. Really hit a high level in apartheid South Africa. Industry lives on an Australian government production subsidy that has no justification. Rich countries using food for fuel. Has an echo of The Grapes of Wrath about it.

You'd be unhappy to see the size of the wheat trains that run to the plant at Bomaderry from the central west and much further.