The best fuel for carby CX

Andy,

In all honesty mate, I'd be inclined to let them run as they are until this distributor matter is sorted. The fact they are looking a bit cooked could also mean that the condensor is also caput.
As far as getting to where I can get the spheres done for you, look at Maryborough about 3 hours north of Brisbane. That's where the guy with the re gassing gear is and also a supply of CX bits that could sort things in one hit.
This is why I reckon you're looking at around 5 hours each way and suggested overnight may be the way to go so as to not rush things.
This guy may also have a distributor but I'd have to contact him to ask as he owned a couple of CXs in his time.

Alan S

Alan S

Alan S said:
Andy,

In all honesty mate, I'd be inclined to let them run as they are until this distributor matter is sorted. The fact they are looking a bit cooked could also mean that the condensor is also caput.
As far as getting to where I can get the spheres done for you, look at Maryborough about 3 hours north of Brisbane. That's where the guy with the re gassing gear is and also a supply of CX bits that could sort things in one hit.
This is why I reckon you're looking at around 5 hours each way and suggested overnight may be the way to go so as to not rush things.
This guy may also have a distributor but I'd have to contact him to ask as he owned a couple of CXs in his time.

Alan S

Alan S

Thanks Alan, I will definantly let you know when I can come up. It could be around late April to early May. I'll keep you posted on that one. The front spheres are quite firm so I hope the gas doesn't get too low and split the spheres.
Andy
Andy

Hi Citros!
I'm not sure when a Ducellier with vacuum will pop up, but if anyone has one lying around i'd be really interested. Whether this fixes the horrible fuel consumption...who really knows? All I want for christmas is about 10L per 100km and not the 20L I have now. $60 doesn't even fill the tank and it's back to empty at 250km!
I put some Bosch GD711 contacts in the distributor and the engine wouldn't start. I have since had it explained to me that the engine has to be turned over to the correct spot and line up with the rotor arm or something. :confused:
I pulled out a couple of hoses out of the engine bay that were just hanging there! One was dissconnected from the air-con.
Are both fans meant to come on when the ignition is turned just a notch before start up (on auxillaries)? I thought the fans would be louder so I hadn't thought anything of it before this.
With the price of fuel and the fact that I get pinging all the time on PULP anyway, I am considering running the car on regular unleaded. :eek:
This is more out of frustration that I can't seem to get better consumption figures and the expensive PULP is just vaporising out the back end.
There is one thing that I found with a full tank...the ride is amazingly different and I was happy to have the floaty feel for the first 50ks or so!
I will be up to see Alan soon so I reckon he should be able to figure it all out.
Bye, Andy

Andy,

Don't waste your time and money on ULP on that car as I doubt it will even run on it.
I had a thought the other day; I wonder what distributor that CX at Brunswick Wreckers has in it?
May be worth a phone call to find out.

Alan S

Alan S said:
Andy,

Don't waste your time and money on ULP on that car as I doubt it will even run on it.
I had a thought the other day; I wonder what distributor that CX at Brunswick Wreckers has in it?
May be worth a phone call to find out.

Alan S

Hi Alan, I've been over to see that car and all I got off it was a spare petrol cap, head cushion and the air horns. The distributor was a black magnetti marelli so I didn't take it. The car is pretty stuffed so there isn't a lot to salvage and the guys seem keen to charge what they can. I was thinking that a spare windscreen would be handy but for the hassle of taking it off I'd be better off waiting until I really need stuff.
I was just looking at travelmate and saw that it is about 470km or 6 1/2 hrs to Maryborough, but I think it's worth it if you can help me get my fuel consumption sorted out. I am planning on getting up there next Wednesday and I will call you when I know for sure. It will do many k's in the next couple of months so it has to be all sorted out especially when I'm in Thredbo.
Ciao, Andy :cheers:

Hi Andy,

I looked through the shed down at my parents place a while back and couldn't find one of the ducellier dizzies.

That's horrific fuel economy your getting, sounds like your getting about 12mpg. To put this in perspective, driving my CX to work and back (never 12+intersections in 5kms) where the car just gets to operating temperature by the time I get to work ...... 24mpg :eek: :eek: I get 34mpg on the highway.

The CX must be running like a complete dog to be returning that sort of fuel economy. Your choke isn't permanantly on is it ?? Does it idle really badly (lump) and blow black smoke :confused: :confused: You gotta get this sorted :eek: :eek: :eek: My old CXmatic used to get 22mpg regardless of use.

I wish I could help more, but without being there to tinker with it, it's quite hard to check things. The problem is I have a couple of CX2200 parts cars, but no CX2400 parts cars (so no dizzies suitable for your CX).

seeya,
Shane L.

Andy,

Just out of curiosity, is the old original Magnetti Marelli distributor still in the car or does the previous owner still have it?

If so, grab it, let me know you've got it and bring it with you and I'll dig out the old one I have and we'll make it work by making one up out of two. They are an aweful lot of screwing around to set them right, but once set, they go well enough.
I checked with our mate in Maryborough and he hasn't got a Ducellier with the vav advance either but I may give Peter Huth a call and see if he has one up there.

Let us know ASAP when you are exactly heading up.

Alan S

Alan S said:
Andy,

Just out of curiosity, is the old original Magnetti Marelli distributor still in the car or does the previous owner still have it?

If so, grab it, let me know you've got it and bring it with you and I'll dig out the old one I have and we'll make it work by making one up out of two. They are an aweful lot of screwing around to set them right, but once set, they go well enough.
I checked with our mate in Maryborough and he hasn't got a Ducellier with the vav advance either but I may give Peter Huth a call and see if he has one up there.

Let us know ASAP when you are exactly heading up.

Alan S

From Vancouver, courtesy of insane work things, I'm grateful to read this lot as I haven't come up to speed on distributor matters yet!!

I'd just endorse everything said about LRP. It's completely disgusting - you might as well use kero.

Good luck with your CX by the way. I've been away for 3 weeks and have serious withdrawal symptoms. Just shared a taxi with two French Canadians, and they understood........

JohnW

Cheers guys
All this help is fantastic. The car is fairly lumpy on idle and black smoke can sometimes come out initially while warming up in the morning. There is also black stuff spitting out of the exhaust... looks like dirty oil or something.
There are tubes coming of the carby in all directions and a few are loose which would definantly be adding to sealing problems with air intake. I will investigate and get some more hoses as soon as I can.
Rode my pushie to work today! :banana: Don't worry too much about a distributor as one will surely turn up and I am prepared to wait for parts...I guess that is an unspoken thing about owning a Cit and I have no worries at all about that! I love Citroens and it would take a lot to get frustrated with anything to do with my wonderful CX! I even find myself less frustrated when working on it, however complex it is amazing engineering no other make of car comes close. Is my CX better than a new Commodore? You bet it is!! :headbang:
Andy :citplak:

Clutching at straws here

Really dirty / blocked air filters lead to excessive fuel consumption - but they do have to be really bad to result in the fuel consumption that you are experiencing.

Just a random thought ...........

Rob T said:
Clutching at straws here

Really dirty / blocked air filters lead to excessive fuel consumption - but they do have to be really bad to result in the fuel consumption that you are experiencing.

Just a random thought ...........

G'day Rob
Thanks for that, I'd say you're pretty close on the air intake side of things. I gave the air filter a thorough clean a few weeks ago so that may rule that out, although while poking around under the bonnet the other day I did notice some hardened and loose pipes coming off the air intake that could be affecting things. Not to worry though as I expect things to be sorted by the end of the week....thanks to Alan and Ian. If Alan could get his CX down to 8.5L per 100K's there is still hope for mine. :banana:
And the best fuel for a carby CX would be almost anywhere in QLD I imagine. Compare $1.07 for PULP to I reckon $1.60 in Jindabyne once the season kicks off!(it is already $1.19 for regular unleaded and that is pre-season!).
Ciao bambinos :cool:
Andy :adrink:

Andy N said:
There is also black stuff spitting out of the exhaust... looks like dirty oil or something.

Andy :citplak:
The black fluid coming from your exhaust is water, mixed with soot from the inside of your exhaust. When you burn a gallon of petrol, you create a pint of water. Most of the time, when the exhaust is hot, the water is vapour, but on startup when the exhaust is cold, the vapour condenses, and is spat out as water. This is why exhausts always rot from the inside out. john s