That other French car...

Originally posted by Wildebeest
.....A proper floor change was a popular accessory. This consisted of a full gearbox top cover with lever.....

Using the lever socket and lever from the top of a Standard 10 box...

Same was used for a beautiful floorchange conversion for 203s and 403s.

That other French car

XTC206 said:
I was wondering why a post could attract 100 replys in a day, then I see it's the regulars here :) ... So knowing little about Simca's why/when did the company fold ? Did any make an Australian Motor museum ?

- xTc -

xTC,
Where have you been? There was a black P60 Aronde in the Fremantle Motor Museum. It featured in the tests carried out in the "John Button Case".
Still, you have been pretty busy of late. :wink2: :wink2:

Wildebeest said:
xTC, Where have you been? There was a black P60 Aronde in the Fremantle Motor Museum. It featured in the tests carried out in the "John Button Case". Still, you have been pretty busy of late. :wink2: :wink2:
Just a bit busy !!! .. Haven't been down there for a while, sounds like another trip is in order.

- xTc -

Wildebeest said:
There was a black P60 Aronde in the Fremantle Motor Museum. It featured in the tests carried out in the "John Button Case".

It was still there when I went to the Freo Motor Museum October last year. Unfortunately for some reason I didn't take a picture of it when I was there however.

Troy.

That other French car.

Ray Bell said:
Using the lever socket and lever from the top of a Standard 10 box...

Same was used for a beautiful floorchange conversion for 203s and 403s.

Ray,
That sounds interesting, will file it away, perhaps pass the info onto Bob Pinkerton.

The conversion offered by Simca was the real thing, a proper cast alloy top with lever that replaced completely the cable operation of the original.
As a matter of fact the conversion gearchange was identical to the floor change gearbox top from the '50's Simca Huit [8-1200]*. I've wondered in the past if the factory had a swag of these left over?

*I know this having taken one from an 8-1200 to fit to a P60 for the speedway! :evil:

Fiat 1100 also bolts straight on- this is what we used in Caversham days.

That other French car.

Westair said:
Fiat 1100 also bolts straight on- this is what we used in Caversham days.

The FIAT 1100 mentioned, is that the pre war-post war Fiat that was almost identical to the Simca 8-1200. Four door, pillarless etc? Were the Fiat gear change mechanisms hard to source?
The later FIAT 1100's had a column shift as did of course the Simcas of the time.
I'm sure both makers would have retained a floor shift thus removing the left and right hand drive production problems. The fashion of the day however decreed the column shift. :)

Ohv Hemi Simca Vedette Motor

Ray Bell said:
While I'm anxious to know what Patrick wrote, I'm more eager to know if they were actually Ardun heads.

Hi Guys,

Call it what you like .... what you see is what you get, the Brazilian OHV adaption of the side valve Vedette motor which was a 2.6 ltr. While the side valve looks very much like the Ford V8 60 motor there is very little if anything that is interchangable.

John Pickles

Attachments

• PictV8MOTOR20001.JPG
    PictV8MOTOR20001.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 340
Westair said:
With so many views and replies I think a Simca Forum is warranted especially as I am planning to do a restoration and all help would be invaluable.
:D
What!! ..... Another Simca enthusiast in Perth? Just when I thought everyone else in the West had quit their Simca's you come to light ..... where have you been hiding and what model are you restoring?. There's still a couple of us in the West with an interest in those mighty cars and I'm sure we can find all the technical information and parts needed to get your car back on the road.

Wildebeest said:
xTC,
Where have you been? There was a black P60 Aronde in the Fremantle Motor Museum. It featured in the tests carried out in the "John Button Case".
Still, you have been pretty busy of late. :wink2: :wink2:

Believe this black Aronde P60 plus the other two Arondes used in the recreation of the accident in the John Button case have now passed into the hands of a person that once raced the Simcas at Caversham in the late 1950's, early '60. Might once again see the Aronde P60 on the track?

Ah, who says nostalgia ain't what it used to be? My wife's first car (HAC525) was a canary yellow Aronde. Very nice, light little car, regularly used for weekend runs down to Wilson's Promontory, and as a result of parking in the sea air, probably single-handedly accounted for a large part of any reputation for rust that the brand subsequently acquired ... :cheers:

panhard said:
Believe this black Aronde P60 plus the other two Arondes used in the recreation of the accident in the John Button case have now passed into the hands of a person that once raced the Simcas at Caversham in the late 1950's, early '60. Might once again see the Aronde P60 on the track?
Possibly- Just returned from Tassie so decision will be made in couple of weeks.

Been giving the Trakka conversion a workout?

Shame you didn't go a couple of months later, it's great in the wintertime...

And getting back to the Simcas, is there much work to do to get one ready for the track?

Ray Bell said:
Been giving the Trakka conversion a workout?

Shame you didn't go a couple of months later, it's great in the wintertime...

And getting back to the Simcas, is there much work to do to get one ready for the track?
Yes 6500 ks- Glad it was auto with o/drive as far less work in Tassie hills-which is all Tassie apart from Longford area. Spoke to tour guide at Historic Farm at Longford and asked could I get map of circuit. Did not know what I was talking about.

If it is for "serious production" as per old rules- there is not a lot to do.
Head needs about 140thou from stock -have seen 280 thou from some heads-depending where they were cast.
Port and polish basically following same pattern -just smoothing out- and matching ports. Carby to bigger venturi and cam- Laurie Oxenford was best though Waggot made some. Kays Engineering copied these.
Lower by approx 50mm front and back.
Exhaust length is crtiical- correect length with or without muffler is original tailpipe length.
Running a pipe from heater motor at LH front into carby airbox or aircleaner with using original switch on dash was worth about 2mph on straight at Caversham-only turned on for last 400 metres or so.
For the 6 hour we used an old cam that had done 150000 miles plus and screwed tappets down to 6 thou. This was when we had to run "stock".
You needed new valves and seats after 6 hours.
We ran sintered metal linings on brakes and replaced drums after the 6 Hour.

A lot of people get lost trying to find much of the Longford circuit these days, and I can understand why...

They've made a good job of obliterating any sign of the pit straight, and while the Viaduct is there and the approach to the Kings Bridge is there, the road to and away from them is so different to what it used to be they might as well be buried.

But much of the rest of the circuit is untouched. Except that the Long Bridge is gone, of course. It's just that reaching it and knowing what it is isn't easy.

You should have asked me before you went...

Ray Bell said:
A lot of people get lost trying to find much of the Longford circuit these days, and I can understand why...

They've made a good job of obliterating any sign of the pit straight, and while the Viaduct is there and the approach to the Kings Bridge is there, the road to and away from them is so different to what it used to be they might as well be buried.

But much of the rest of the circuit is untouched. Except that the Long Bridge is gone, of course. It's just that reaching it and knowing what it is isn't easy.

You should have asked me before you went...
Did not think I would need to ask- it was as famous as Bathurst in it's day and some of the world's best drivers competee there.
There is always next year or even perhaps this spring. Have to take a rear drive good car back to enjoy the roads.

Yes indeedy... that's a must!

I'd been reading for some years of people finding it hard to locate the roads, I could never understand why until I got there.

They have gone out of their way to hide the joint. One good rule of thumb is to remember that the original roads were all at natural ground level. All the more recent roads are built up substantially, so if you're above natural ground level it ain't part of the old track.

Look at photos of different corners and then go hunting, find the locations by the trees, that's how, at least, you find Mountford Corner and therefore locate what used to be the pit straight. Stand at the tree and look towards the water tank on the horizon and you see how completely the pits, start finish and control tower as well as the road itself have been ploughed back into the surroundings.

Once you've located that, most of the rest is easy because it is still there. Just not where you expect it to be.

By the way, I'd hate to have to try to keep a Simca mobile with much over a hundred thou off the head...

panhard said:
What!! ..... Another Simca enthusiast in Perth? Just when I thought everyone else in the West had quit their Simca's you come to light ..... where have you been hiding and what model are you restoring?. There's still a couple of us in the West with an interest in those mighty cars and I'm sure we can find all the technical information and parts needed to get your car back on the road.
Apology for late reply but have been away. Have sent PM