Targa Tasmania 04

Where are you getting the overall positions from?

Targa website is confusing.

Yeah it is hey. Under results, just click on the final leg results for each class and then under leg 1 for yesterday.

Cal.

Cal said:
Yeah it is hey. Under results, just click on the final leg results for each class and then under leg 1 for yesterday.

Cal.

I notice the Kings are running 115th at the moment.

Anyone have any details on their car at all. I see they're running in 'Limited Modified' - anyone know what mods they've made?

Cheers

sorry i only have Monroe's and Pedders.
I didn't realise it was illegal to run anything other than fully adjustables or coil-overs on a near 20 year old $5000 car.

i will take it off the 'for sale' section immediately and spend $5000 on the suspension so that i can realise at least another $200 when i then try to sell it again.

thanks for the pointer.

N5GTi6 said:
I notice the Kings are running 115th at the moment.

Anyone have any details on their car at all. I see they're running in 'Limited Modified' - anyone know what mods they've made?

Cheers

Not a great deal. From memory it runs a Motec EMS, an LSD, some cams and slotted rotors. It is a beautifully presented car. The attention to detail is truely outstanding. It is a mica red colour with white OZ racing wheels. There will be a photo on the site soon enough.

Cal.

Nope, not this year. Rod is running with his son. Next year they plan to enter both the GTi6 and the Mi16. Two father and son teams. Funny thing is, both Rod and Gerald told me the 405 is quicker at Targa. :D

Cal.

my 2cents worth

Hi all! Was actually meaning to start a Targa thread and keep eveyone informed before we went - but time, panicked packing and last minute car preps got in the way. I was in car #836 driven by Paul Bergmann & our teammates John Atherton (team principal) and Melinda Both were in #835. (yes, GTRs. and yes, they are awesome pieces of kit).

Whole week as an experience was awesome (was my first Targa) and the cars (and amounts of money spent on them) are/is absolutely incredible. Out of around 380 vehicles entered I can only think of a few that I didn't like and all of them were immaculately prepared... The car expo's every night were REAL car shows (not like our Brissie Motor Show which has maybe 2 or 3 race cars all of which are WRC-mockups)!!!

Results wise wasn't exactly what we had hoped - John & Mel blew their engine on Cygnet just after lunch on Day 3. Paul & I were going really well (I think we were about 11th outright and winning Category 8 + whatever our class was by about a minute and a half) until just before lunch on the final day, on the 33km Strahan stage we got a flat only 5 or so kms into the stage. we managed to keep it on the rim until about 5kms from the end of the stage - then limped to the end of the stage on the rim. Lost about 3 and a half mins of competitive time on the stage + the 2 min penalty for using the spare. Was pretty devastating and we finished 26th I think (25th pending the disqualification / appeal of Jason & John White for an illegal intercooler spray on their R34 GTR which took them to 2nd place outright)

Have a couple of pics which I'll try to attach now - nup sorry think they are too big didnt work..

ps. anyone who's even sort of interested / in a position to do Targa one year - save you pennies, bite the bullet and do it! Its unbelievable!

pps. even when we were going well couldn't match Ray - he DRIVES that thing..

08FT6519.jpg

Here is it in TT2003...

Targa was great this year, for once a Porsche didn't win! Too bad it had to be a WRX that won, but at least it is the first time in 8 years that a Porsche hasn't won.

I was a road closure marshal on teh Triabunna stage, lots of fun seeing them race past. One of the best was the old Oakland, cornering on its old vintage tyures, 4 wheel drift around the corner at full throttle, tyres squeeling away! Fantastic! :D

Here is a car from the "show and shine" that they do in HObart when Targa ison.
spectator1.jpg

They haven't put any of the Froggy competitors pictures on the website.

I have placed a few pics from last weeks Targa up on this thread.....enjoy :)
Got all the froggies & a few Italian cars. We followed the cars back from Queenstown to Hobart & counted 10 accidents all up......snow didnt help! Will be back next year for sure!

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13139

zykyra said:
I have placed a few pics from last weeks Targa up on this thread.....enjoy :)
Got all the froggies & a few Italian cars. We followed the cars back from Queenstown to Hobart & counted 10 accidents all up......snow didnt help! Will be back next year for sure!

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13139

Must be something about that stretch of road. I was down there in March for a quick couple of laps of the island, and just past Derwent Bridge there was a nasty accident that had all the local forces attending. It's a fantastic stretch though. I had to turn around and do it again. Within 2.5 hours I'd filled up at the Derwent Bridge Roadhouse twice. Should have seen the looks I got.... :D

Nav said:
[...]
ps. anyone who's even sort of interested / in a position to do Targa one year - save you pennies, bite the bullet and do it! Its unbelievable!
[...]
QUOTE]

Yes, tarmac rallies are so much *fun*, it is hard to believe they are still
legal!

Targa Tasmania is a big expense and has non-trivial logistics.

For your first tarmac special stage rally, I'd recommend Rally Tasmania.

It is less $$, it is based around a single location (Burnie), and is a lower
key event in most ways. Less emphasis on presentation and more
relaxed rules. Easy to get you gear in and out (Toll Shipping straight into
Burnie or take the Spirit). Toll is handy because in the event of a bent or
broken car, they ship it back on a pallette.

Still awesome roads like Hellyer Gorge and Savage River (fwd and reverse)
and many other great stages.

Unlike Targa - there are no "target times" for each class. You drive as
fast as you can because *every* second counts. It makes it very interesting!

I've been doing it since '98 (Not in a froggy -- Austin Healey Sprites and MG Midgets) tho' this year I missed out because of last minute work travel. It
was a shame because I had planned to take the Alpine out for its first competition run this year.

Next year... (Maybe Classic Adelaide this year???)

Both Alby Somers and I are going to do Targa NZ next year in our Alpines.

No current plans to do Targa Tasmania.

Mike
p.s. off to Road America (Elkhart Lake) to crew for a Austin Healey this week.
(OK, it is really a work trip and I'm getting some fun at a vintage race festival
in on the side). Last year it was the Renault Club of America's feature meeting
so hopefully the R5s, Alpines (310, 110) will be back again too.

I read this thread and realise what an excellent idea it was to set this new section up.

A310V6 could you please hang around more often. :D Never been to Road America, but would love to go sometime. Did the Monterey weekend in 97 and again in 98. That is also a great way to spend a weekend. Love that you can pitch a tent next to the track at Laguna Seca.

Cal.

Cal said:
I read this thread and realise what an excellent idea it was to set this new section up.

A310V6 could you please hang around more often. :D Never been to Road America, but would love to go sometime. Did the Monterey weekend in 97 and again in 98. That is also a great way to spend a weekend. Love that you can pitch a tent next to the track at Laguna Seca.

Cal.

LOL! That's a first, usually people tell ne to P*** off!

Seriously, I'll be hanging around.

Yep, the tracks are all cool with competitors camping at the track too
(by camping mostly I mean giant motorhomes :)
They also have another great thing at their vintage races (at least in
the mid-west) -- open track time for crew/sponsors etc in the lunch
interval.

Last year I got to drive 5 laps around Road America in a vintage racing bugeye Sprite. What a great track. Kind of like Phillip Island on steroids.

Not as challenging to drive as Bathurst (Only raced there twice myself but
old hands tell me you never stop discovering there), but the same length
as Mt Panorama and it has a bit more variety than PI and more elevation changes.

I have a couple of pictures of the Renault crowd at Road America -- see if I can ind them. If I do, I'll post them in a new thread.

Mike