T9 308 fuel tank issue

Kent

Tadpole
Tadpole
I purchased my 2015 T9 1.2 turbo petrol about 6 months ago now from a dealer in Moss Vale, shout out to Allan Mackay Autos, so far very good service.

I noticed under certain conditions I was getting occasional hesitations and what seemed to be misfirings and occasionally lumpy idle from early on in the ownership experience. They were fairly mild but noticeable. Enough for me to worry about the potential longevity of my new purchase.

The issue seemed to go away after coming up to running temp (about 80), and most extreme between 70 and 80. Then it would go away for a couple of weeks, then reemerge for a while.

It was also happening in very specific circumstances, like at the exact same point in my commutes to and from work, like driving downhill on Canberra Ave from Fyshwick before the Monash freeway underpass, then coming off the roundabout from Canberra Ave onto Wentworth Ave, at nearly the same points in the curve, I could predict when it was going to happen when the car was having a bad day or week.

It was not enough for me to think I had a chance of a warranty claim with the dealer under the 3 month statutory warranty period. I booked it in with a local (Canberra) euro mechanic (shout out Dean at European Garage). Of course when I dropped it off it hadn't had a problem for a couple of weeks. He performed an inspection to see if he could diagnose anything, there was an old fault code for running rich but otherwise all sensors were fine, oil level not indicating loss of compression, no issues.

The next day I filled it to the top with BP Ultimate and parked it overnight. The next morning I had a couple of serious bunny hops, the first I thought I'd been a bit hard on taking up the clutch in traffic on a cold engine, but the second time it happened I was losing power on off in rapid frequency crossing an intersection on reasonably heavy throttle and it had nothing to do with clutch modulation.

It made it to work without any more major incidents except for loss of power here and there, but not to the point of bunny hopping. I had a bad feeling going to drive it home and sure enough on the long downhill on Canberra Ave between Hindmarsh and the Monaro Highway it had really bad jumpy loss of power when I wasn't really requesting much from it, finally getting a check engine light.

The car went into limp mode and I pulled to the side of the road. Turned it off for a while, then turned it back on and all was back to normal.

Sent an email to the dealer that night, literally two days before the 3 month warranty period ended explaining the incident and that they needed to address it under consumer law.

The next morning it was fine and actually turned the check engine light off. Everything was back to just regular running (still minor hesitations and occasional rough idle but not serious). Over the couple of weeks waiting for the dealer to respond it got better again. I was now convinced it had something to do with the fuel tank being full and planned to just never fill it to the top again if I didn't get anywhere with the dealer.

I ended up following up with them, spoke to the tech there (they are a Peugeot dealer so have more experience in them than most). I explained this all to him and he said he'd seen it a few times, needs a new tank, we'll get that sorted for you. So they're now waiting to hear from Peugeot as it is apparently common enough that they will replace the tank at no cost to the dealers. In any case Allan Mackay have assured me whether or not Peugeot come to the table, they'll be fixing it at no cost to me. Looking forward to being able to having 40L in the tank with no worries.

Same issue found in last year, but I spent thousands to find out that was the manufacturing defect, the vale in the tank. Finally Peugeot agreed to change a new fuel tank for me. They are hiding this issue, if you know that, you are lucky that they will change it for free. For my investigation, This issue also happens in other countries, but since 2017, Peugeot quietly upgraded the fuel tanks for their cars after that. Before this I really love 308, but now I’m disappointed with this brand.

Same issue found in last year, but I spent thousands to find out that was the manufacturing defect, the vale in the tank. Finally Peugeot agreed to change a new fuel tank for me. They are hiding this issue, if you know that, you are lucky that they will change it for free. For my investigation, This issue also happens in other countries, but since 2017, Peugeot quietly upgraded the fuel tanks for their cars after that. Before this I really love 308, but now I’m disappointed with this brand.
Bs they are they had a tsb for the problem and the updated tank is on that tsb