Swapping 505 windscreen

Gus

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Would I be able to swap a 505 windscreen by myself? What do I need to do in order to make the new windscreen seal properly? Am I better off paying a professional to do it?

... I'm pretty sure I can take one off by myself (use a bent nail to dig the seal out then lift it off, right?), just not so sure about putting it back on.

Any tips/tricks?

I've never tried it personally, but a friend who currently owns 4 505s said its very hard to get the windscreen out without cracking it. Although he had heard of someone who managed to do it by sitting in the car and pushing it out with his feet. Not entirely sure how that worked though :confused:

haven't tried it with 505's but i have done it with 604's 504's but what i do is let the car sit in the sun for a while and then get in the car preferably with two people to gently push the screen out with your feet
have a third person to steady the screen on the outside of the car as well
then to put the screen in get a length of nylon rope from clints or any of those cheap shops and run that around the rubber seal while you have it placed on the screen and leave the two ends hanging out preferably at the bottom of the screen
place the screen on the car and with an extra pair of hands to help push the screen into place while you are sitting in the car pull the rope into the car
this pulls the seal into the frame of the car
i hope this helps

nJm:
I've never tried it personally, but a friend who currently owns 4 505s said its very hard to get the windscreen out without cracking it:
Yeah, a friend cracked one, trying to push it out, last thursday. I've had the same experience with 504 windscreens, but didn't expect it from the 505, due to the way the rubber losens when you remove the chrome trimming strip.

I've always found the safest way to remove front and rear windows, in general, is to sacrifice the rubber and cut its outer lip off with a stanley knife.

Dave

Just push carefully using soft shoes, I haven't broken one for many years.Start in the corners and don't expect it to come out immediately.

Graham Wallis

Originally posted by Dave:
I've always found the safest way to remove front and rear windows, in general, is to sacrifice the rubber and cut its outer lip off with a stanley knife.
I did exactly that to remove the front screen from my 504. $100 for a new rubber was a bit cheaper than a new window.
The existing rubber had been siliconed up where it had the vinyl roof covering. eek!
Now all i have to do is get the thing back in. :rolleyes:

putting the screens in 504's and 604's i have found to be really easy
never tried a 505 but i'd assume they wouldn't be any different/harder
nothing better than the old style rubber seal instead on the newer style vulcanized windscreens that you have to get a professional to fit
i have found that straight glass instead of laminated screens are less prone to breaking when removing
if you do it on a 203 then it's a different story
still easy but the front screen when removing you push the screen into the car instead of pushing it outwards

i vaguly remember someone here talking about aftermarket using aftermarket windscreens if a good 2nd hand 505 one couldn't be found..

And that one brand of screen wasn't a real good fit.. can anyone remember what it was...?? Im going to need a new screen for rego soon thanks to a crack that i was to lazy to get fixed in the first instance.. :(

Voila! Here's one of the threads:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1181

The dodgy screen was a Pilkington, although the problem might only be confined to NZ made screens. I think any one of the windscreen replacement companies (Windscreens O'Brien, Instant Windscreens, etc.) can provide a good replacement 505 screen if you can't get a 2ndhand one. You can get them with or without the blue tinge across the top, and they should cost roughly around $100-120 fitted. Well that's how much it cost me when I replaced mine in 2002.

Cheers,
Richard

silverexec said:
Voila! Here's one of the threads:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1181

The dodgy screen was a Pilkington, although the problem might only be confined to NZ made screens. I think any one of the windscreen replacement companies (Windscreens O'Brien, Instant Windscreens, etc.) can provide a good replacement 505 screen if you can't get a 2ndhand one. You can get them with or without the blue tinge across the top, and they should cost roughly around $100-120 fitted. Well that's how much it cost me when I replaced mine in 2002.

Cheers,
Richard

was that a laminated one ?
i think they are closer to the $200 mark fitted
i know in parkes here you save $100 by going to dubbo to get a screen done
only about 120km's up the road
city areas maybe cheaper again

I was looking into this last year with the 504. Broken wisdscreen, needed to be complete for rego

$180 for a new windscreen fitted. Original rubber seal reused though.

Second hands are not that hard to find. Many places charge heaps to put them in though. On the 504 its just a piece of string job around the edge of the rubber seal.

Getting out, hard if u want to keep the seal.

hope it works out for you,

shobbz

bowie said:
i vaguly remember someone here talking about aftermarket using aftermarket windscreens if a good 2nd hand 505 one couldn't be found..

And that one brand of screen wasn't a real good fit.. can anyone remember what it was...?? Im going to need a new screen for rego soon thanks to a crack that i was to lazy to get fixed in the first instance.. :(

Got a couple of those here in CBR

A year ago I paid about $230 to windscreens O'Brien for a new windscreen for my 505.

Recently a big crack has grown up from the bottom. Not happy!!

I hope I don't have to replace the windscreen once every year!

Dave

The trick I used to get a 504 screen out intact was to use 15 - 20 long flat pieces of metal (ie butter knives :D girlfriend wasnt overly impressed though...)
on the inside to fold and keep folded away the rubber from the frame - slide it forwards b/w the headlining and the rubber until you can feel the edge of the metal window frame, and pull the handle down and push the knife further in b/w the rubber and the frame. It will stay there while you do the next one a couple of inches along.
A dozen or two of these across the top and down the sides releases the grip of the rubber on the car nicely and results in screen and rubber being removed 100% intact. Dead easy (much easier than bonded screens - tried to get one out recently, but was a tiny bit careless just once while trying to make a hole in the sealant for the cutting wire, and crack! mutter mutter....)

I've tried the push out method, and its far too easy to crack the screen.

i find it best to leave the car in the sun
jump in the car and i just use my fingers to pull the rubber down away from the body and push gently on the screen
then it just pops out
never broken a screen yet getting them out

Try silicon (pressure pack) e.g. "C.R.C." product on the old rubber- recently swapped rear windows in a 505 - made the job easy. N.B. apply liberally and make sure it penetrates between rubber and glass - good idea if you run a blunt probe under rubber whilst applying silicon.

NIMBIN

Sorry, I've got to correct myself again - my windscreen cost me $170, not $100-120 like I said in my above post. Most of the windscreen places I was calling at the time wanted on average around $200.

Cheers,
Richard