505 Windscreens - tale of woe

Jason Morris

Fellow Frogger
Hi all. I had my windscreen replaced about 4 weeks ago, courtesy of the insurance company etc.
I thought I would make use of the oppotunity to have any bodywork attended to around the opening, and it turned out there were two small areas of rust just starting. Went to a reputable bodyshop (not the cheapest as ususal!) for the repair.

When I picked up the car I noticed a couple of unusal wrinkles in the paint where no bodywork had been done, and that the glass wasn't seated properly - the rubber was 4mm off the body at the drivers top corner, and all the way along the top edge the rubber was off the glass. I complained (several times) to the glass company, finally the mobile installer suggested the glass may be too big. It was a NZ-made (hey, we're supposed to buy local) Pilkington brand screen. So, they ordered a good-old 'Austrailian Autoglass' one to be safe, took out the Pilkington one and compared heights - sure enough, the NZ one was about 5mm taller !!! Greatly relieved at getting to the bottom of the problem, the tech did a precautionary wipe of the opening with a clean rag - and the new paint came off in big flakes !@#$% I promptly called the bodyshop and informed them the car would be back there in 15 min. Finally collected the car today, all is well.

So beware, esp Kiwis with 505's - Specifiy that you don't want a Pilkington screen if you are having a replacement !

As a side note : I'm told that the Pilkington screens are made here in the Hutt Valley (in fact less than 5kn from my home!), then shipped to Oz, and it's chepaer for the glass company to buy them from there !!

Jason
(now all I need is a V6....)

Jason,

Thanks for the tip regarding Pilkington. I'd assumed they'd be OK, as they were the original equipment glass manufacturer for Australian built Pugs in the 1970s.

When I get my 505 windscreen replaced (very soon), I'll ask for the autoglass one.

Dave

<small>[ 28 August 2002, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: fiveohs ]</small>

It could well have been from a bad batch. The installer thought maybe they oversized it for a ureathane glue-in fit, although I find this highly unlikely as it would mean a whole different trim setup etc. I was beginning to feel like I was being a pain (knowing that the glass company would be losing on the job if they broke the screen getting it out) but there was also a cloudy white patch appearing from one corner - it was delaminating after 3 weeks !! Would have been replaced free anyway. Don't know about any feedback to Pilkington - I've heard comments that they are cowboys at the local factory etc

I thought I had a 505 V6 eng & box lined up, but it fell through. I'm on the trail of another one or two that are 'up on blocks due to repair cost...' so all fingers and toes crossed! My rattling XN1A is holding on....

Jason