Superglue & baking soda gear repair

Very useful !

There is apparently a difference between baking soda and bicarb soda (I have never used either for anything). So this is definitely baking ?

Very useful !

There is apparently a difference between baking soda and bicarb soda (I have never used either for anything). So this is definitely baking ?
Baking soda = bicarb soda = Sodium Bicarbonate. Also useful on hand in the workshop for neutralising acid.

Do not mistake for "baking powder," that has other additives and is better used for cakes.

Hi John 😉

Baking soda = bicarb soda = pure Sodium Bicarbonate.

Baking powder contains sodium bicarbonate, a leavening acid, and cornstarch. Makes cakes raise during baking.

Reactions: UFO
Looks like a great method for repairing those bits of 80/90s French plastic that plague our lives.

Can anyone who has used it tell me how strong it is ? And more importantly, how brittle ?

I've only used the method once on the very damaged plastic green clip on my driver's door window. It did fail but worked long enough to get the window closed while waiting for replacement part delivery.
It seemed to not bond well but I don't know if that was an incompatibility between the superglue and the plastic type or my poor surface preparation (didn't actually bother degreasing 😜).
Also when I went back to fit the new replacement I suspect the regulator cables were not running true and putting excessive stress on the join contributing to early failure.
So, on my first and only attempt it lasted as long as I required despite my obvious user errors.