sump plug tool

pugrambo said:
thats the same as the one i used to have

when i got mine it was an L shape and i bent the other end to suit

mine was pre bent when i bought it from Regans, the longer end has 6mm block while teh short end is 8mm

Originally posted by cruiserman
For $30 you could buy a long length of 8mm high carbon steel cut, bend and if you wanted harden and temper it to suit, Sell them off for $5 - $10 each and make a killing. (Peter T sounds like a good metalwork class project what do you reckon)

Aren't the handles for most piston ring compressors that size?

Wonder how hard they are?

The other thing is the ones from Auto-Pro... I don't think they'd be powder coated, but if they have a section that's too big, grinding them back to the right size shouldn't really hurt them... should it?

I was just thinking, though, I have a nice 14mm Allen key I bought many years ago for taking the plugs out of the 504 cranks to clean the sludge traps out. If I cut 45mm or so off the handle of this, I could then grind one end down to size and use it in conjunction with a 14mm socket.

You can get any number of large Allen keys for next to nothing at markets and second hand junk shops...

pugrambo said:
in the hunt for a sump plug tool i have just been on the phone to snap-on who happen to have the 8mm tool needed for the 404/504/505/604 in case you guys ever need one
they are around the $25 mark

i'll be picking mine up form the mobile snap-on bloke next wednesday while he is on town here

just thought i'd let you guys know that have been using filed down 3/8" extensions and have been having trouble trying to get one through a dealer of which i used to have one branded facom but alas have misplaced it somewhere
Hi, looks like frog cars have 'temper proove' sump plugs.
Our R19 has as well. Just got a metal bar from a locksmith and filed it to size. For the auto plug, which is a weird shape, i made a cast with body filler first. The key quality metal bar is up to the job and it is cheap. I think i payed $5.
JoBo

Atan said:
I've got a real one from a pug dealer when I had a 505 sti. It works a treat, last price paid was about $25 - $30 many years ago. I cried blue murder when I paid for it but it is better than stripping the plug using the wrong size tool.

Does the 306 s16 use the same tool? If not I may put it into the trading post for frog parts since I dont have use for it anymore

Yeah - sell it. Modern Pugs just use a socket.

Cheers

I just got a piece of key steel soldered into a 10mm socket and that's worked fine about 8 years.

:cheers:

I have used a Snap-On sump plug too for the last 5 Years and had no problems.
They can also be used with various drivers eg ratchet handle or breaker bar for the tight suckers! Highly Recomended

Picked up a Stahlwille 1/2 socket version $30. looks just the shot I was looking for a Snap-On one but the other supplier was in today.

Tim

ok guys just to update i obtained my sump plug tool from the Snap-on man

ok it cost nearly $30

it's a 3/8" drive and i have already tested it out

the part number in case you are wondering is PPM410A

i'm excited :adrink: