sump plug tool

pugrambo

Going slightly mad
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
in the hunt for a sump plug tool i have just been on the phone to snap-on who happen to have the 8mm tool needed for the 404/504/505/604 in case you guys ever need one
they are around the $25 mark

i'll be picking mine up form the mobile snap-on bloke next wednesday while he is on town here

just thought i'd let you guys know that have been using filed down 3/8" extensions and have been having trouble trying to get one through a dealer of which i used to have one branded facom but alas have misplaced it somewhere

I've been using a bit of high speed steel that is used for making the cutting bits on metal lathes. It's about 70mm long and about 8mm square. You can tap it into the plug and get a shifter onto it to get the plug out. The mild steel tools seem to bend and get all rounded and become useless. I cost me nothing as I have a friend who works in a machine shop.

Matt.

That is one (very good) method that I used up until recently. A friend in France sourced the tool bar for me and it is probably just a chrome plated version of the same thing with a 45 deg bend in it near the socket end.

Cost about $15 each landed.

Mind you, I'm yet to use it as I had only just oil changed the XM before it arrived. Oil change due again in a coupla weeks:)

Ralph said:
I've been using a bit of high speed steel that is used for making the cutting bits on metal lathes. It's about 70mm long and about 8mm square. You can tap it into the plug and get a shifter onto it to get the plug out. The mild steel tools seem to bend and get all rounded and become useless. I cost me nothing as I have a friend who works in a machine shop.

Matt.

be careful using HSS as when it breaks it shatters and little shards can and will go anywhere
i'll let you know how i go with the new tool from snap-on

i have never had troubles with any snap-on gear in the past

the last genuine one i got from pug cost $17

Yep, I'm well aware of the dangers of HSS. The trick is to place the shifter as close as you can to the sump plug to minimise torsional forces on the HSS and reduce the chance of shattering. The usual eye protection etc. should be used and try to look away when you start turning the plug.
Some of those sump/diff/gearbox plugs are tight little suckers! The design of them would have to be one of the sillier things I've seen. I remember a thread a while back where someone suggested to replace them with ones off a Jap car or something.

Matt.

Ray Bell said:
I have thought about grinding down a very good Allen key to suit...

That's what I've been using since I lost my snap on tool. Just file a bees dick off points of an 8mm allen key.

I used to use a doorhandle....
I dont know if doorhandles have a different size over there form the european ones. But the male handle of a set has an insert that fits the plug.

[edit] I mean a door as in the kitchen door etc, not a car door ;-)

How is the "right" tool different to the sump-plug spanners I've seen at autopro?

The ones I've seen are black powder coated steel with a profusion of various sized knobs on the end, presumably for different shaped/sized bolts.

Vegas said:
How is the "right" tool different to the sump-plug spanners I've seen at autopro?

The ones I've seen are black powder coated steel with a profusion of various sized knobs on the end, presumably for different shaped/sized bolts.

do the ones at autopro have an 8mm square for the pugs ?

pugrambo said:
do the ones at autopro have an 8mm square for the pugs ?

I've got a real one from a pug dealer when I had a 505 sti. It works a treat, last price paid was about $25 - $30 many years ago. I cried blue murder when I paid for it but it is better than stripping the plug using the wrong size tool.

Does the 306 s16 use the same tool? If not I may put it into the trading post for frog parts since I dont have use for it anymore

Atan said:
I've got a real one from a pug dealer when I had a 505 sti. It works a treat, last price paid was about $25 - $30 many years ago. I cried blue murder when I paid for it but it is better than stripping the plug using the wrong size tool.

Does the 306 s16 use the same tool? If not I may put it into the trading post for frog parts since I dont have use for it anymore

For 30$ you could buy a bloody long length of 8mm high carbon steel cut, bend and if you wanted harden and temper it to suit, Sell them off for 5 - 10$ each and make a killing. (Peter T sounds like a good metalwork class project what do you reckon)

one of the ones i used to have was a 1/2" drive one

it was great getting into the coolant plugs on the sides of the PRV engine

the other one i had had an 8mm square at each end and was an L shape whci i of course then bent the other end to suit making g/box plugs easier to get in and out

but alas both are lost so time for a new one

but i really miss the 1/2 drive socket type one i had as it was very handy

Vegas said:

They've got every size but 8mm on them....now, wanna guess what size you need??? :mallet: :mallet: :mallet: :mallet:

Alan S :D

Alan S said:
They've got every size but 8mm on them....now, wanna guess what size you need??? :mallet: :mallet: :mallet: :mallet:

Alan S :D

You are right! They are either too small(rattle in the hole) or too big. That's why I gave up and paid $ for one that fitted

Here is image of sump plug tool that I have used for 8 years

Attachments

• spanner.jpg
    spanner.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 340