Suitable head unit to replace Clarion in XM

blomquvist

Fellow Frogger
Would appreciate any advice on replacing the radio cassette player in a 1992 XM 2.0i.

The car's original Clarion unit has died, and ideally I'd like to be able to replace it with something that can interface with the volume controls on the steering wheel.

Thanks again for the excellent forum. Just purchased the XM. It's a private import from GB with about 200Ks, and seems generally sound.

I think that you can get converter leads for various sony units. They come up on fleaBay every so often.

Other option is to replace it with another Clarion unit- again look on FleaBay for this.

Pretty sure that the S1 and S2 are not interchangable.

regards
sean

blomquvist said:
Would appreciate any advice on replacing the radio cassette player in a 1992 XM 2.0i.

The car's original Clarion unit has died, and ideally I'd like to be able to replace it with something that can interface with the volume controls on the steering wheel.

Thanks again for the excellent forum. Just purchased the XM. It's a private import from GB with about 200Ks, and seems generally sound.

Congrats on your new purchase...

2.0i manual?? can't help with the head unit sorry, mine has cruise on the steering. Get along to one of the car audio outlets and I'm sure you'll find a modern headunit with the appropiate inter-face.

You'll have to get some pics of your car on the forum for us to oggle :approve:

Cheers
Chris

You'd be able to get a converter for the controls for Blaupunkt or Alpine quite easily. If you're running a Clarion deck now, they might still be compatible. I wouldn't touch anything Sony. Their decks are nothing short of horrid and a bad match for the classy XM.

I'd check out Blaupunkt, think that'd suit the XM quite well.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys - much appreciated.

Yes, car is a 2.0 fuel injected 8-valve with around 128 bhp. It's the UK Prestige model, with leather, climate control, sunroof, etc. Not a rocket by any stretch of the imagination, but enough to keep up with the traffic, cruise at speed and great fuel economy on long runs. Did 500 k in the past three days in considerable comfort. And Bertone did a nice job with the body work.

Car needs paint on the bonnet and the two little panels above the C-pillars, a new ariel and a few bits and pieces. Will post some pics in the near future.

Cheers,

Greg

blomquvist said:
Thanks for the advice guys - much appreciated.

Yes, car is a 2.0 fuel injected 8-valve with around 128 bhp. It's the UK Prestige model, with leather, climate control, sunroof, etc. Not a rocket by any stretch of the imagination, but enough to keep up with the traffic, cruise at speed and great fuel economy on long runs. Did 500 k in the past three days in considerable comfort. And Bertone did a nice job with the body work.

Car needs paint on the bonnet and the two little panels above the C-pillars, a new ariel and a few bits and pieces. Will post some pics in the near future.

Cheers,

Greg

Get those pics organised Greg :wink2:
A friend of ours has the 2.0 Turbo again a private import, it's certainly no slug... those plastic trims above the C pillar have faded on mine too, only part of the paintwork that lets it down. They are a pretty car hey, very nice enjoy :wink2:

Cheers
Chris