Stereo wiring for Pug 205

Linds

Fellow Frogger
Can anybody explain the wiring for the stereo to a 1993 205. I'm trying to install a replacement head unit and want to utilise the exisiting wiring if possible however as usual it is not possible to determine what each wire is for.

Does anybody have a wiring disgram they could fax or email?

All help is much appreciated.

:confused:

Can you not check with the old head unit still connected the main power and ingnition/accessory wires and earth with a test lamp?
To find out which speaker wires go where, you can use the battery out of a remote key pad to test which wires go to which speaker as connecting + & - it will make a noise in the speaker without damaging it. This will indicate each speaker and location.
You might find your new head unit may have 8 speaker wires out from the unit, and the old unit may only have 6 wires. 4x positive and 2x negative.
If that's the case, then it maybe just as easy to run new wiring to all speakers. Use good wiring, I have often found it's the quickest way and you know where everything is, especially if you want to upgrade your speakers later on.
Hope this helps. Sorry I don't have a diagram.
Ian

peugeot604 said:
Can you not check with the old head unit still connected the main power and ingnition/accessory wires and earth with a test lamp?
To find out which speaker wires go where, you can use the battery out of a remote key pad to test which wires go to which speaker as connecting + & - it will make a noise in the speaker without damaging it. This will indicate each speaker and location.
You might find your new head unit may have 8 speaker wires out from the unit, and the old unit may only have 6 wires. 4x positive and 2x negative.
If that's the case, then it maybe just as easy to run new wiring to all speakers. Use good wiring, I have often found it's the quickest way and you know where everything is, especially if you want to upgrade your speakers later on.
Hope this helps. Sorry I don't have a diagram.
Ian

Ian - the later 205's have full wiring to each speaker. No shared earths. I wired in a new Sony head unit into my car and it was quite easy. The Haynes manual I had at the time (sorry but I sold it after selling the car) contained full wiring diagrams for the car, but from memory it wasn't difficult to figure out. There will be a black earth with, red power wire, orange(?) ignition wire - the best thing to do is to make up a test circuit with a small 12v globe in a holder with two probes on it to test for 'power' circuits - even better is a multimeter to test for earth circuits, power circuits and the battery test on the speaker wires is a good one.

Cheers

I think you should just run new cables as suggested by peugeot604. I ran all new speaker cables etc in mine and it isn't hard and gives you the ability to upgrade speakers later on if you want to. No doubt if you're putting in a new head unit you will eventually want new speakers :D

If you want any tips about where to run the cables PM me