Spreading the word...

ntrx

Fellow Frogger
Just thought I'd say I'm doing my bit for Aussiefrogs - I placed a spare Aussiefrogs sticker under a silver GTi-6's windscreen wiper today when I went to the post office.

:)

I thought I should, as I actually bumped into the owner of it a few months ago - I was extremely over-tired, this dude with an afro leapt out at me and took me by surprise and started talking GTi-6 jibberish.. I was a little terse as I thought he was trying to mug me for my car! :rolleyes:

Anyway - G'day to the silver 98 GTi-6 owner in Paddington!

Cheers,
Adrian

97 Diablo Red 306 GTi-6

ntrx, I made up some little flyers (nothing flash - photocopied text) because I work in Perth CBD and see a few frog cars every day. I've stuck these under many a wiper...

Stuey

Careful Stuey about putting flyers under wipers, it's illegal you know. We looked at this in the club (RCCV) thought it would be a good way to drum up new members until we discovered that if someone complained we could be slapped with a 2 grand fine.

David.

thats a pitty, but I had a feeling that would be the case.

I should get some spare stickers though, the other day at my local shops I parked my car next to an identical 505! There aren't all that many silver 505 GRs putting around in Melbourne. This one had GTi 15" wheels on it which looked pretty cool wink

Hope I see it again, and even better - talk to the owner!

David Cavanagh:
Careful Stuey about putting flyers under wipers, it's illegal you know. We looked at this in the club (RCCV) thought it would be a good way to drum up new members until we discovered that if someone complained we could be slapped with a 2 grand fine.

David.
Geez you can't do anything these days eek!

I've put aussiefrogs stickers under wipers & in letter boxes quite a lot.

are there any external stickers left at all ?
i may have to get a couple
i just need a fine tune on my suspension for a new corner we have in town here :D

gibgib. as far as I understand the law, putting them in letterboxes is OK it's under wipers in a public car park thats illegal. We've probably got nothing to worry about, I couldn't immagine a frog car owner complaining about being given an introductry to aussiefrogs but these days you just don't know. The law was to stop shops putting flyers on every car in the lot to advertise there specials and half of them blowing off and creating a mess, I'm sure clubs would have nothing to worry about but remember it is illegal.

David.

Rest easy Stuey,

When I was down the Gold Coast there were a couple of freebie throwaway papers they used to deliver twice a week.
One guy at Palm Beach just left them on his footpath where they landed and some Council try hard came around & booked HIM for littering clown eek! So if you stick something under someones screen and they threaten to hng draw & quarter you, you can use that case as a precedent; mind you, I reckon we'd get some interesting postings from the guy who owned the car mallet head_ban head_ban :D

Alan S

Just read in the Drive section of The Age today that Lexus is starting a new marketing campaign where they put mock parking tickets on 'rival' luxury cars parked in shopping centres, directing them to the Lexus web site.
Anyone here know a good lawyer? We could organise a class action against the vendor-of-overpriced-rebadged-Toyotas. disappro head_ban Provided, of course, they deem Citroens, Pugs and Renaults as rival luxury cars.

stickers arrived today and already the power of the red,white and blue label is evident
the car has never handled so well and i must admit i am sure i could feel a little power boost in there somewhere
thanks for the stickers gibgib
much appreciated

Jez 405 - they mightn't see the Peugeot as a rival luxury car, but the new 307 apparently handles far better than the new IS300. I never expected this given the Lexus is a car with sporting pretences and the Peugeot 307 isn't! :)

re. placing of flyers in letter boxes and under wipers. New litter regulations under the new Environment Protection (resource efficiency) Act 2002 has been passed by parliment that enforces new littering penalties. Section 45N specifies a $100 fine for unsolicited documents on cars, Section 45L specifies also a $100 fine for mailbox deliveries of unsolicited material. Its all designed to cut down on litter, because most people are ignorant morons (not an official statement!)and will simply throw off anything they find on their car that they dont want. I know it may seem a bit picky, but its better than a car park full of discarded leaflets.
Haakon Marold - EPA Victoria.

Haakon - thanks for that info!

One thing - can you clarify exactly what "unsolicited material" means?

In my eyes, it's a very broad term - doesn't it essentially refer to any unwanted mail in your letterbox?

I'm about to organise a mailout for my business, to hundreds of prospect customers. Now, if all of them found my mailout irrelevant and useless, could I be up for a few hundred counts of littering and fined accordingly?

Cheers,
Adrian

In Sydney we used to get 2 free papers a week & another one every fortnight. I always thought of it as littering because I'd dump them straight into the recycling bin - didn't read them mallet

I did find it annoying & wondered if they could leave me off their dump list but never bothered with it.
That's a law I wouldn't mind them enforcing.

We are only getting one a week here which is OK by me.

Here is what it says in full re. unsolicited material. Note this is Victorian law, contact your states epa for regs. in your state.

45L. Unsolicited documents must be put in mailboxes etc.
(1) A person delivering an unsolicited document to a premises must not deposit the document in any place on the premises other than--
(a) a receptacle, slot or other place that is used for the deposit of mail at the premises; or
(b) a receptacle or slot that is used for the deposit of newspapers at the premises; or
(c) under the door of the premises; or
(d) a place that is in a building and that is suitable for the deposit of the document.
Penalty: 10 penalty units.

(2) Sub-section (1) does not apply to--
(a) any newspaper, or any material folded or inserted into a newspaper; or
(b) any document issued under, in accordance with, or for the purposes of, any Act or Commonwealth Act; or
(c) any document that is given personally to a person at the premises; or
(d) any document that is of such a size, shape or volume that it is not possible or appropriate for it to be deposited in accordance with sub-section (1).

Sorry, theres more....

45K. Meaning of unsolicited document
For the purposes of this Division, a document is unsolicited if it is deposited at a premises without being addressed by name to a person who owns or occupies the premises.

45N. Leaflets etc. not to be placed on vehicles
(1) A person must not deposit any document in or on any vehicle without the express consent of the owner or driver of the vehicle.

(2) This section does not apply to the deposit of any document by a person exercising a power given to him or her by any law.

I think I'm a bit trigger happy with that post button....
I thought for a second there I could do parking inspectors with that last bit. Oh well.
As far as I can tell, if you address the mailout with name and address (ie mail them rather than walking the neighbourhood and putting them letterboxes), its not covered by this leglislation, and at worst you'll just annoy people. But walking about dumping heaps of flyers in letterboxes is out, especially if there is a NO JUNK MAIL sign. You can view the whole thing via thge Victorian Government website.

45M. Advertising material not to be deposited in certain mailboxes etc.
(1) In this section "advertising material" means any material advertising goods or services, regardless of whether or not the sale of the goods or services is for a charitable purpose, but does not include--
(a) any stamped mail delivered by, or on behalf of, Australia Post;
(b) any material that has a political purpose;
(c) a newspaper or magazine ;
(d) any public notice issued by a litter authority or a body supplying electricity, gas, water, transport or a similar service;
(e) any document issued under, or for the purposes of, any Act or Commonwealth Act;
(f) any other document issued by, or on behalf, of any government or government agency.
(2) A person must not deposit any advertising material in any receptacle, slot or place listed in section 45L(1)(a) or (b), or under the door of a premises, if there is a legible sign or marking on or near that receptacle, slot, place or door--
(a) that states "No Advertising Material" or "No Junk Mail" or that contains any other words in English indicating that advertising material is not to be deposited in that receptacle, slot or place, or under that door; and
(b) that is clearly visible to a person depositing an item in that receptacle, slot or place or under that door.

gibgib:
In Sydney we used to get 2 free papers a week & another one every fortnight. I always thought of it as littering because I'd dump them straight into the recycling bin - didn't read them mallet

I did find it annoying & wondered if they could leave me off their dump list but never bothered with it.
That's a law I wouldn't mind them enforcing.

We are only getting one a week here which is OK by me.
Here's one a bit off topic but shows the difference between living in a City and living in a rural area;
If I want to buy the local rag (6 pages weekdays, ten at weekends) I have to sign a subscription, pay in advance & I'm pretty sure they charge a delivery fee.
If I want any of the free rags tossing into the paddock as the deliverer goes past trying to hit the ton, they cost the price of the local rag if you live in Town. However, we religiously get a weekly delivery of a brochure of weekly specials from Sollys/Clints every Sunday. Hail rain or shine.... so if a discounter can send a car out to hundreds of homes & stop, like a posty to put rubbish mail in the letter box, why can't the local paper groups send someone out to toss a paper on to the driveway? but they won't unless they get paid heaps for it.
By the same token, if the rubbish mail is left in the box and the postie does the rounds on Monday & finds it in there, it is unceremoneously pulled out & thrown in the gutter to blow everywhere. When I questioned this action I was toild the this was "what we've been told to do." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: which makes the whole legislation somewhat hypocritical :p

Alan S