sphere replacement

kellyo

Fellow Frogger
I'm looking at replacing the rear spheres on my non hydractive Xantia. I'm a bit of a DIYer but recognise my limitations. The Haynes describes a simple renewal process. Are there any traps for the unwary? Will a simple oil filter strap wrench be up to the task or do I need a special cit. tool?

All comments/suggestions welcomed.

It'll make it easier if you have some ramps you can put the car up on.

It should be easy:

--put back of car on ramps
--apply handbrake
--select 'low' suspension position
--loosen ONLY BY HALF A TURN the regualor bleed screw
--I just use a strap wrench on the spheres... If there really tight I used a chisel (solid thumps will always move something that horendous amounts of rotational force will not move).

If it's REALLY TIGHT ... You can twist the suspension cylinder tearing the hydraulic lines off... If this is the case (unlikely unless you have had a fool that tightened the spheres tighter than hand tight)..

--Put suspension on HIGH
--loosen a fraction of a turn DO NOT UNSCREW
--select low, depressurise system and unscrew with you hand.

warning If the sphere is still difficult to turn even after you have loosened it slightly DO NOT CONTINUE TO REMOVE. There is still hydraulic pressure there. Release the pressure first

Really it should be simple !! Give it a bash.

seeya,
Shane L.
PS: Here's the link from when I did my VSX.

changing xantia spheres

Thanks, Shane. I knew that pair of ramps I picked up off the street the day before the council clean up a few weeks ago would come in handy. I'll have a look see on the weekend & if it all looks doable order some spheres in from Dapco up here in Sinny.
Regards

Kellyo

It should be easy:

--apply handbrake
--I just use a strap wrench on the spheres... If there really tight I used a chisel (solid thumps will always move something that horendous amounts of rotational force will not move).

If it's REALLY TIGHT ... You can twist the suspension cylinder tearing the hydraulic lines off... If this is the case (unlikely unless you have had a fool that tightened the spheres tighter than hand tight)..

--Put suspension on HIGH

warning If the sphere is still difficult to turn even after you have loosened it slightly DO NOT CONTINUE TO REMOVE. There is still hydraulic pressure there. Release the pressure first

seeya,
Shane L.

changing xantia spheres[/QUOTE]

kellyo said:
I'm looking at replacing the rear spheres on my non hydractive Xantia.

Where did you get your replacement spheres?

regards
sean

testing xantia spheres

DoubleChevron said:

It should be easy:

--apply handbrake

--Put suspension on HIGH

seeya,
Shane L.

changing xantia spheres

Shane,

this link is really useful, thank you for posting it.

One question - how did you test the pressures on the spheres - can you buy testing equipment anywhere? Am in Canberra so club equipment a bit difficult to access.

Do you have anyone that regasses spheres in Canberra ?? Most (welll all) regassers should first test your sphere pressures for free and only regass them if required.

I've just made my own sphere tester... They are quite simple if you have a parts car

sphere tester

seeya,
Shane L.

re the ramps that you picked up in the council clean up - no doubt that you have checked them over for strength.
I reckon that heavy duty ramps are a really good long term investment for safety.

DoubleChevron said:
Do you have anyone that regasses spheres in Canberra ?? Most (welll all) regassers should first test your sphere pressures for free and only regass them if required.

I've just made my own sphere tester... They are quite simple if you have a parts car

sphere tester

seeya,
Shane L.

[Thanks, Shane. Ive joined CCC NSW & will have a go with some guidance.

It should be easy:

--apply handbrake

--Put suspension on HIGH

seeya,
Shane L.

changing xantia spheres[/QUOTE]

Dapco up here 02 95345388 say they have newies in stock at about $75 a sphere + $8 p&h no matter how many you buy. Xantias are made in China under licence so I think many of the parts may be originating from there now.I'm going to check whether they'll take a regas first.
Where did you get your replacement spheres?

regards
sean[/QUOTE]

DoubleChevron said:

hehe I did this once and got flayed with green stuff all over me - ala ghostbusters :joker: