South African 404 ute

Longer tray and greater load capacity, single rear window, can have the 1796 cc 'export' motor, solid rims on some, some had floor shift as a dealer change, chrome headlight rings.

That is a very nice example.

Longer tray and greater load capacity, single rear window, can have the 1796 cc 'export' motor, solid rims on some, some had floor shift as a dealer change, chrome headlight rings.

That is a very nice example.
Sold!

Anyone have a spare instrument bin able to replace the home made wooden one?

Anyone have a spare instrument bin able to replace the home made wooden one?
If I have interpreted your question correctly my '71 South African ute has the three round instrument cluster (fuel etc, speedo, clock), the same as some local sedans. The difference being the speedo for mine is in Km/hr and the local versions M/hr. What does yours look like?

That’s right, but this is more a square shape. Apologies for the typo - it was suppose to say binnacle.

Attachments

• IMG_7375.jpeg
    IMG_7375.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_7372.jpeg
    IMG_7372.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 110
Congratulations on your acquisition. 👍
I quite like the timber frame though I think I would have chosen to use a nice piece of fiddleback redgum. 😉

Actually, I like the wood, too. If you don't like the colour, you could always take it apart and stain it.

Add me too the wood "like list" too.
Someone with a bit of skill knocked that piece up.

Congrats one of a kind there.

That 404 has been forsale I think about 4+years.
Sounds like it’s gone to the right home.

found this in my hoard - for some reason named 's250fmaseratibeingtowed.jpg', added mid 2019
s250fmaseratibeingtowed.jpg
?

The South African operation was quite large with their own engine plant. They also handled Hilman and some of the Hilmans had 404 motors.

No luck with any search of can think of , have to assume the name was a red herring … so not the foggiest idea where I found it, I’m afraid.