Someone save Bowie's 504

peujohn

pur-john, not pew-john!
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Twin webers and 5 speed.

Here it is on Gumtree. Certainly has seen better days.

Please view this ad: Peugeot 5...m the Google Play Store. http://goo.gl/7NzhP

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I was just looking at this and admiring the twin weber set up....this has always been a dream of mine to add this to my 504.

I'm in lust

Must be strong though

Looks like a very good base for a very nice car

A

Twin webers and 5 speed.

Here it is on Gumtree. Certainly has seen better days.

Please view this ad:

Peugeot 504 1972,
[url]http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/melton-west/cars-vans-utes/peugeot-504-1972/1201586261?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: $3,500

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/7NzhP[/URL]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I've noticed asking prices have increased of late too. It's probably to be expected, as the 504 is up till now about the only older car I was interested in that hadn't shot up in value over recent years.

I must admit it's taken a bit more time and money to get mine properly sorted than I'd expected, and that must be factored in to the values of older cars that are still on the road..

I must admit it's taken a bit more time and money to get mine properly sorted than I'd expected, and that must be factored in to the values of older cars that are still on the road..[/QUOTE]

And your car was one the better ones around, imagine how long it would taken to sort a bomb 504! :)

504 prices are going up, take a look at modile.de

Condition is key, but decent saloons go for around 5,000 euro, coupes for 12,000 and cabrios for 25,000. I expect prices will go up steadily, as supply is dwindling. Right now the main obstacle to restoration is body panels, they are made of unobtainium for the coupe and cabriolet. In reality, very few people are restoring rust buckets; the bodywork costs are too high. Most people are looking for restored cars, this increases the rate of cars in poor condition going to the scrap yard to become parts. But this is not a solution either, there is adequate supply of mechanicals, body parts are scarce.

Last edited:
Sniff, the poor ol' thing.

I was speaking with this seller when a friend in Melbourne noticed it. He received it payment for a job completed where they still owed him coin.

Current seller is a Mazda nerd! has a 808 of all things!

Anyway, As far as I can tell this is the 3rd owner since I had it. First owner decided the rust in the chassis was to much to do and passed it off, where it sat in a yard with interior bits being salvaged for other cars, until this guy bought it, as far as I can tell.

The DCOE's where rebuilt when they were installed, now 15yrs ago? (DCOE-40's) The engine was otherwise standard, (stock cam etc etc) with the usual chunk of the face head as is usually when cleaning everything. It only ended up with Weber because at the time we couldn't fine a mechanical fuel pump and associated Ti junk (current stuff was worn).

The manifold is 1/3 of the TI with a custom section to receive them.

I was at UNI at the time and didn't have the space / time / coin to repair that chassis rail. If I could have predicted my employment I wouldn't have an issue getting that looked at currently :blackeye:

From memory, there was a smidge in the bottom of the drivers rear door, otherwise it was pretty neat.

The rust in the chassis was just after the suspension mounting mount, about 2cm at the time when I sold it 4 yrs ago now.

*sniff*

Poor ol' gal.

Ah man, just the memories of old trips, lovers. Lots of happy vibes surrounding that thing.

I am very familiar with the smell of them, which brings back many memories....as smells do. I still get a memory kick when I (infrequently) sit in my 505.

So true!

I confess, well i should apologise to those that have had them at French Car Days, I've often found myself loitering in effort to sniff. Must be something about the drying underlay. Ah doesn't matter. It's great.

Warning : sad story.
I was once a cabbie, and a very old lady was chatting with me as I dropped her off at home. She had tried to look after her husband when he developed dementia, but couldn't, and had to put him into a home. However every once in a while he was brought home for a visit.
She said that he always, at one stage of the visit, went downstairs and sat in their old car for a while. And the really sad part was that I could see my future self doing the same.:rolleyes:

I once LIVED in my 504 ! Those lay-back seats in the early ones that they called the Peugeot Hilton were great ! Just right for the curvature of my back (with some padding) and if the car was parked facing downhill slightly.
Winter of 1983 I spent in Cairns (and surrounds), in my 504.

So true!

I confess, well i should apologise to those that have had them at French Car Days, I've often found myself loitering in effort to sniff. Must be something about the drying underlay. Ah doesn't matter. It's great.

If your 504 smells like a potting shed, it's the rear window rubber and blockage of the drain tubes that open into the boot seal area. Sometimes they rust out altogether... A teeny weenie little gap appears at the outside bottom corners between the rubber and the bodywork - that's one way in. The other is when dirt works its way between the glass and the rubber and water wicks in.

Water gets in in heavy rain when the car isn't moving - it runs across the parcel shelf under the padding, down the flutes in the backrest panel and into the rear seat pan.

Water can also get over the boot seal when it gets a bit old especially when the car is parked nose down. It then runs through the holes in the bottom of the rear seat bulkhead and into the rear seat pan... so the underlay in the rear foot wells can dry as dust, but the underlay under the back seat is soup.

Old soft drink cans and general "kid" smell ?:confused:

My first 504 eventually smelt of cockroaches....especially when I put on the heater. I found the buggers but the smell persisted...