So what's your favourite general-purpose silicone ?

Beano

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I'm a bit confused about silicone...there are so many different types these days. Just to be safe, for the last umpteen years I have mostly used Permatex Ultra Blue, as it's very heat and oil resistant and sticks on surfaces quite tenaciously..

The other thing I like about it is that it lasts a long time in the tube. I got one if their other colours and it went oddly hard and brittle in the tube. I seem to recall it was the grey.

I know there are some you shouldn't use 'upstream' from an oxygen sensor, but which are okay ? And which is your favourite, overall ?

ThreeBond 1211 almost everywhere and Loctite Copper Maxx instead of exhaust gaskets. Add Loctite 569 thread sealant and 243 for thread locking, and that’s about my whole toolkit.

you use the coppermax instead of gaskets? Even manifold and flange gaskets (I've covered the gasket in coppermax, but never left the gasket out)

I'm a convert to 1211 now after my rebuild. I still use anaerobic flange sealant gel on things like water pumps and thermostat housings where they have tiny mating surfaces because its a bit nicer to work with and I've never had a leak.