Slick 50

davemcbean

Guru
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Slick 50 works perfectly on older engines with large oil galleries (like Pug 504s) but it can cause blockages on newer engines which have very small oil galleries. Slick 50 is just teflon, there is nothing magic about it. You just have to be smart about where its use is appropriate and where it is not.

On my 404 which had a very noisy gearbox whine (due to being run on low oil), I put slick 50 in it and after 20,000kms or so the gearbox became quiet. I imagine that the teflon must have filled up all the pitting in the bearing races and gear faces which was causing the noise.

Dave McBean

A couple of weeks ago I had a young girl come in in a R12, the gear box was so noisy you could here it coming down the street, she had no money to fix it so we put in slick 50 and fresh oil and it went out quiet with a nice smooth gear change, end of story.

David.

It's just Teflon. Teflon is harmless unless oil galleries are really small.

Personally I think the benefits of Slick 50 in a naturally aspirated engine, which is well looked after (oil changes every 5000km) are marginal to non existent and on alot of modern (small oil galleried) engines it can obviously cause problems.

On worn gearboxes, however, Slick 50 can work wonders. It has been demonstrated time and time again. There is nothing magic about it. Teflon is just a great lubricant. On some older types of engines, the use of Teflon additives has meant the difference between a seized engine and a servicible one, when the sump has been knocked out and the engine oil lost. It's not magic, it's just teflon. Use it where it's appropriate and don't where it's not. It's quite simple really.

It's like hammers. In some cases their use is appropriate. In other cases it isn't.

Dave

I own an Alfa Sud Sprint (sacrilege?) with a 1.5 litre, flat-4 engine, and I usually use Penrite Pedigree motor oil. A couple of months back I decided to try Slick 50 and found a dramatic and disturbing drop in oil pressure. The oil gauge used to sit at about half way, but after having run the car with Slick 50 for a couple of weeks the gauge was dropping down to a quarter. The weather was warm but not overly hot and I've never experienced that sort of thing before trying the product. I also found a reference on the net to lab tests done on Slick 50 by a US university using a Chev 6 cylinder engine and they found a similar thing: a pressure drop across the oil filter (they also found an increase in power and a decrease in fuel consumption). Two steps forward, one step back?