Armidillo

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
P1070021.jpg

Looks like P 60 from 1960, to me

Simca Aronde.jpg

This one hasn't been ventilated yet:roflmao:

'Mine' is resting beside a road - won't say where yet. Let's see if anyone else knows this car :).

P1070027.jpg

Car is obviously pretty complete - comes with engine (which I suppose could also be described as 'ventilated')!

Photos courtesy of my wife - she didn't know what it was, but knew it was old, and thought it might be interesting (she's more of an Austin girl).

Cheers

Alec

Last edited:
My father and I both had an Aronde, I loved that car, it was so capable. He obviously didn't love his as much I loved mine, he went and bought a Lotus Cortina.

P1070025.jpg

Instrument panel present, although some smoke may have escaped...

I suspect the final owner didn't really love this car!

Any guesses as to where it rests in pieces?

Hint - it's not in my home state!

Another hint - it's on a bus route; it was the bus driver who first pointed it out to me!

Cheers

Alec

In Qld? No - further west than that! I might also mention that it's not the only roadside wreck in the area...

When I drove an Aronde, I remember it being floor shift 4 spd. Is this one an auto or did they also come out column shift manual? Not that it really matters, but curiosity kicked in ....

At guess it's a column-shift manual. I have only driven past it twice - the first time in a bus, the second time (about 10 days ago) it was tipping down rain (not common in the area, as you can probably tell from the first picture). The photos are courtesy of my wife, who works in the area from time to time, and was able to stop and take them in March this year.

Hopefully I will have a chance to go past it again, and will stop and check. In the meantime, I think the next photo shows gear linkage:
P1070029.jpg

If the red sand doesn't already tell the story, the (relative) lack of rust should confirm that it's in a pretty dry area :)

Cheers

Alec

Plenty highway...?
Oodnadatta track...?
Birdsville track...?

Cheers,

Mark...:)

Oodnadatta Track is pretty close - it's one wreck among many - probably hundreds - just left beside the road where they broke down or were crashed...

Last edited:
Just to round this off, the Simca Aronde may be found in South Australia, West of the Stuart Highway, on the Northeastern edge of the Great Victoria Desert.

More specifically, it's on the South side of the road between Indulkana (Iwantja) and Mimili. This is in the APY Lands, and unfortunately you need a permit to travel on the roads in this area (link to permit application web page: Permits).

I presume it's just too far from Adelaide to be worthwhile for the scrap metal collectors, because there's an absolute fortune out here (or it would have been when scrap steel was worth something) - littering the sides of the roads, and collected into community dumps. Cars as old as the Simca are not that common, but do exist:

IMG_2789.jpg

They certainly don't rust away!

Most cars are Commodores & equivalent Falcons (+ a few Valiants and Magnas). There are of course utes & trucks as well:

IMG_1935.jpg

The aluminium tray is as good as new, and it comes with a fuel tank - on the tray!

Some of the newer cars are surprisingly small, and I'm not totally convinced of their practicality - apart from the ground clearance issues, most people out here have big families:

IMG_2340.jpg

Probably the majority have been burnt like this one, but I suspect most of them were collateral damage when the grass was being burnt. It's raining quite regularly this winter, which in turn is leading to a big growth of grass, so I suspect that there will be a lot of burning off when the time is right!

Cheers

Alec

Paul,I am interested in the Simca stash you mentioned,as Vic /Tas Rep for the Simca Car Club I am allways interested in finding Simca's.Please message me and I will go and see about them
Regards
Stephen.