Shight that's tight!!

Alan S

1000+ Posts
There's a guy in the UK who had all kinds of problems removing a sphere (rear) off his car even using all the tricks didn't work all that well, but eventually, it came off and this is what he found.

973204264f3997fba57e6ccfe24c58bdde1bf2450598bf2a1bb0c399.jpg

It seems there was thread tape used; seen that before, some gland packing such as that used on old style taps and an adhesive of some description, possibly Lithage and Glycerine mix.
Obviously the job was done just prior to selling by a previous owner or by someone who hoped he may never see the car again to have to remove it.
I can have enough trouble removing ones that I've fitted by hand and using the correct "o" ring. This would have been an absolute nightmare and worthy of remembering if you intend doing a bodge on one when fitting; one day somebody is going to have to remove it. :nownow: :cry:
For the record, the sphere was well & truly stuffed and incidentally, the dodgy seal didn't leak a drop as can be seen by the dryness around the thread. :confused:

Alan S

Alan S said:
There's a guy in the UK who had all kinds of problems removing a sphere (rear) off his car even using all the tricks didn't work all that well, but eventually, it came off and this is what he found.

973204264f3997fba57e6ccfe24c58bdde1bf2450598bf2a1bb0c399.jpg

It seems there was thread tape used; seen that before, some gland packing such as that used on old style taps and an adhesive of some description, possibly Lithage and Glycerine mix.
Obviously the job was done just prior to selling by a previous owner or by someone who hoped he may never see the car again to have to remove it.
I can have enough trouble removing ones that I've fitted by hand and using the correct "o" ring. This would have been an absolute nightmare and worthy of remembering if you intend doing a bodge on one when fitting; one day somebody is going to have to remove it. :nownow: :cry:
For the record, the sphere was well & truly stuffed and incidentally, the dodgy seal didn't leak a drop as can be seen by the dryness around the thread. :confused:

Alan S

Hi Alan, that looks like the MO of a plummer....who had no idea what he was doing....amazing. He probably thought it was malfunctioning, and therefore MUST have been leaking, and so he fixed it!
It never fails to amaze me the degree of stupidity we occasionally come across when it has something to do with these strange french cars with their AIR suspension. :joker:
Cheers....George. :cheers: :cool: