SA, Licence for High Performance Vehicles...

Bowie

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger

There you go, dickheads don't kill people, 276kw per tone (370kw / 1000kg) kills people.

I realise that's a familiar gun lobby argument to keep assault rifles in the hands of said dick heads, but I fail to see how forcing cashed up dickheads to earn a secondary licence type will stop them being innately, well dickheads? Maybe it will.

Reckon this is advertised at the wheels or the crank? :unsure: Maybe the next cool thing will be for teenagers to go get there state issued dyno, also, hope there is a "cool" high performance vehicle licence plate issued, this could be the next greatest vehicle accessory.

Here's a practical table to see how close, or far away you may be from infringing the soon to be SA law

kwhpkg

Ohhh some Turbo V6 commodores will be in trouble.. :p

It won't stop cashed up dickheads being dickheads but it will stop people like Greenpeace driving their blown Reliant.

Nothing against Greenpeace of course (and he's not in SA) but there's many people in SA who drive souped up whatevers who won't have the money to get the extra chilli license.

In my opinion we should have a system like in many countries in the EU where over a certain seriousness of offence you pay the fines by your tax return. Being cashed up suddenly turns against you if you're a dickhead. A nice way to divorce the two.

When you read the court case it would seem probably the biggest contributing factor was (according to an expert witness) that the driver most likely had the car in a mode that turned off the electronic safety devices.
A more sensible approach would be that vehicles can't be legally registered if their safety features can be disabled. I mean ESC for example is an ADR requirement, yet there can be a "mode" provided by the manufacturer to turn it off?
There's no mention of motorcycles? 37 bhp per 100 kgs would put the vast majority of bikes in the firing line? Even my fat arse 20 year old Triumph Rocket 111 is over this proposed limit.
The SA government is just virtue signaling unfortunately, anyone who has experience driving a large variety of different performance vehicles knows what makes it a "safe drive" extends far beyond just its power to weight ratio.
How are they going to police modified vehicles?
Have a dyno at the side of the road? Or are they going to impound it under "suspicion of being ultra high powered" and send it off to be dynoed (at your expense, whether is passes or not)?
If they instructed you to present it to an authorised dyno place you'd just pull the boost controller out or peg the timing back or fit smaller injectors before you took it there anyway.🤷‍♂️
What about EVs? Are the EV pundits in SA going to now stop saying how their 300 kW EV is way quicker accelerating (the main contributing factor to the accident in question) than a 300 kW ICE car? I've included an excerpt from a current ACT government website on the "reasons why you should buy an EV".🙄
Oh yes, I know virtue signaling when I see it.
I empathise with the young girl's family, but this legislation is just hollow, knee jerk government BS.

20230707_080942.jpg

It won't stop cashed up dickheads being dickheads but it will stop people like Greenpeace driving their blown Reliant.

Nothing against Greenpeace of course (and he's not in SA) but there's many people in SA who drive souped up whatevers who won't have the money to get the extra chilli license.
No I'm all good, the Reliant is perfectly safe.🤣
It's only 270 bhp per tonne, I can still add another 5 or 6 pounds of boost yet.🤠

Hi.

We already have a Gold driving licence that allows unrestricted driving speeds, although you need to be a Vic Police member to get one. It has been in the news recently due to a TOG officer allegedly driving at over 200km/h, that has been acquitted. Personally I don't have an issue for TOG driving at higher speeds.

Cheers